U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 02:28 PM

9,185 posts, read 6,828,259 times

Advertisements

Here's the deal on it.. First off.. I doubt there's any school in the country that still requires students to take a shower after gym.. It wasn't required for me in high school (89 to 90 was the last year I had gym) but you were goaded into doing it by it being 10% of your grade.So if you didn't shower, you couldn't get an A.. Which made it so that most of the people who did were the nerds. And, yes, I put myself in that group.

But.. There's the 100% effective thing that anyone can do if someone makes fun of them for being/not being circumcised, saying it's small, saying it's freakishly shaped, saying it has a funny bend in it.. Whatever.. And that is..

"Dude, why are you looking at my DICK!?"

Old 06-05-2015, 03:55 PM

176 posts, read 124,621 times
Normal hygiene will do just fine. I have never heard of anyone having problems because their genitals were normal or that they had to wash more because of that or that they ended up developing some kind of illness because they were left as nature made them. As a matter of fact I haven't heard of anyone wanting to do that to their baby boys unless they had some kind of medical problem.

The aesthetic reason is absurd. Why would one want want to inflict pain on a normal healthy body and change its normal natural aspect?

It's not an appendix, it is there for a reason and when a baby is circumcised loses thousands of nerves endings. It is a painful intervention, problems may appear later in life and in countries where children don't have access to the right medical treatment they can have infections or amputations.

Circumcision is against the basic human right to physical integrity and in just a matter of years it will start being banned in countries in Europe.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:51 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,003,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaPinecone View Post
When my son was born (he's 13 now), I decided to not get him circumcised. I didn't want him to go through any pain and according to all the statistics I read, for boys born in the late 90's/early 00's, the circumcision rate was only around 50%, so I assumed it would be seen as normal for american boys to have foreskins. But, I'm learning more and more that that's not the case. My first realization of this occurred when my son had to get a physical to enroll in elementary school. When it was time for the genital portion of the exam, the pediatrician was not only visibly surprised he was uncircumcised, but she did not seem to understand that it's perfectly normal for a 6 year old boy's foreskin to not be able to be pulled back yet and recommend I have him circumcised. I noticed that next to the "Genitals" box on the form, she checked the "Abnormal finding" box and wrote "uncircumcised" in the margin (Not even "tight foreskin", just "uncircumcised"). I just assumed she acted like this because when she was growing up it was way rarer than it is now and it was seen as gross and weird, and it never crossed my mind that teens still might believe that now a days. However, today (this is what's prompting this post), my daughter (16) was looking through an old family photo album and came across a picture of DS when he was a toddler taking a bath and saw he was uncircumcised. She let out a large "ewwwwww" and started questioning me about why I didn't have him circumcised and if I know how gross and unclean it is and if I know he'll never get a girlfriend. All the stuff I've seen online seems to suggest being uncircumcised is common in America now and the stigma is gone, but after what my daughter said and remembering how the pediatrician acted, I'm not so sure. Does anybody know if at least among teens, hate of uncircumcised boys is common (especially in the Northern Virginia area, which is where I live)? I'm worried about DS.
This is unfortunate. I'll be up front, I prefer men to be uncircumcised. Unfortunately my husband is circumcised. He had it done is his teens and has significant scarring from it.

I'd say leave your kid's penis alone. It's natural, normal, and plenty of women prefer it and/or don't mind it.

Old 06-05-2015, 09:08 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,414,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I try to steer all conversations in that direction when possible.

There is a large conversation about this on the current events board.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...sion-poll.html

Some good information over there. Virginia had a circumcision rate of 74% in 2009. West Virginia has the highest circumcision rate at 90% (2012) but once you go out west, it falls incredibly. Only 10% of boys in Nevada were circumcised in 2012 and California, Oregon, Washington, and Arizona are all under 25%. I thought that this might be Hispanic related, but New Mexico's rate is 46%, so there's something else going on to try to explain the incidence rates.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:18 AM

910 posts, read 678,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
How is it a health concern? Assuming the boy is taught how to care for his penis, there is very little health benefit to circumcision.
There you go. A bit of cradle cap or some dry skin will be noted in your file as well, just in case the Dr. forgets or you switch health care providers, and these symptoms someday end up being evidence of some underlying illness.

If the OP's son visits a doctor in 20 years complaining of painful urination or something, the Doctor will have the ability to consult his files and see the abnormal note from when he was 6.

I find it really amazing that the anti-circ crowd is calling for the doctor's head based on some hearsay that the mother of the patient supposedly spotted over the doctor's shoulder, and her feelings about how the doctor acted. None of us know what her medical opinion was, and the question was whether her son will be an outcast due to his little turtle.

The answer remains: Maybe, but there's nothing you can do about it, so don't sweat it.

In a century or two, we'll have collected enough data and done enough more-or-less unbiased research to get a better handle on whether or not the health benefits of circumcision outweigh the drawbacks--or whether it's a draw. Anyone who claims to know the absolute truth on the matter is just blowing hot air. Do what you feel is best for your kid.

Old 06-06-2015, 02:46 AM

176 posts, read 124,621 times
Men in Europe don't circumcise and there aren't any health problems because of that, quite the contrary. Fact.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:09 AM

14,692 posts, read 8,199,471 times
That 50% statistic is likely misleading. It may be 50% overall but there are some groups that are likely much higher and much lower - apparently where you are, your particular social/ethnic group is mostly circ'ed? But I don't see it as anyone's business. Talk to your son about how it's okay to be "different".

Frankly I'd be WAY more concerned at your daughter's reaction...Raises all kinds of questions about what kinds of sexual activity she's been involved in (online and IRL) and it's time to correct some attitudes she seems to about circumcision and various other variations she'll find out about as she matures!

Oh yeah - and get another doctor!

Old 06-06-2015, 08:43 AM

910 posts, read 678,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStars View Post
Men in Europe don't circumcise and there aren't any health problems because of that, quite the contrary. Fact.
False.

Phimosis (tight foreskin) - NHS Choices

Like I said, anyone who claims to know the absolute truth about anything is a loon or a crusader of some sort, blinded to the opposing viewpoint by their agenda. Clearly this isn't just an American trait.

Anyway, good for Europe. Some more thoughts on the circ/anti-circ debate:

- Men's opinions should be considered over women's. A woman trying to make a decision about circumcision is like a man trying to make a decision about abortion. You have only a secondary interest in the debate.

- Of course aesthetics matter. Like it or not, fair or not, natural or not, we live in a world where some people modify their bodies through surgery in order to get what they want. The idea that people can not or should not have their preferences about what they like and dislike about other people's bodies is ridiculous. They do and they always will. If circumcised men are someday seen as more sexually appealing, that will be a legitimate reason to consider not circumcising.

- You are cursing/blessing your child either way. If you don't circumcise, the kid is going to live with your decision the same as if you did. Maybe someday there will be a painless way to circumcise, but that's probably not high on the list of medical research priorities.

- When you make the decision, consider that many of the anti-circ arguments are Utopian rationalizations: "People shouldn't feel that way." "Nobody's going to see it." "It won't matter if she loves him."

Remember that in the real world people do feel that way, people will see and comment on it, and love might conquer all, but "living with/being okay with" because of love and liking/enjoying are not one and the same.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:48 AM
Status: "NO Biden!; (or any other Democrat)" (set 14 days ago)

12,145 posts, read 7,346,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazingStars View Post
And if a handful of European "experts" recommended jumping off a cliff en masse, there are some people at this site who are so captivated by anything European, that they would automatically endorse it as well.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:35 AM

6,319 posts, read 5,507,497 times
Phimosis isn't common enough to make circumcision a routine necessity (and there are other ways of treating it). The non-Muslim or Jewish world is moving away from circumcision, even in the US its getting less common.

Also uncircumcised ones look nicer, circumcised ones just look weird!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting