U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:52 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,066,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaPinecone View Post
Can we please get back to the actual topic? This has turned into just another circumcision debate. Is it still seen as bad by other teenagers for a teenage boy to be uncircumcised?
No. It's more and more common and it certainly isn't uncomon. Some people just have strong opinions on it.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I've already mentioned what my sixteen-year-old daughter thinks about the issue. (She overheard my husband and I discussing the thread and asked us to explain.) She wasn't grossed out at all and wondered why it was necessary to remove the foreskin if it wasn't causing a medical issue. Her brothers are uncircumcised, although she hasn't seen them naked since they were all very young. My guess is that she'd take it in stride, because it's normal in our house.
From what I've heard from my daughter, most of the girls around where I live don't share your DD's opinion.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:50 PM

5,413 posts, read 5,066,592 times
Quote:
From what I've heard from my daughter, most of the girls around where I live don't share your DD's opinion.
Are you really going to take the opinion of any 16 year old about sex?

For the record I asked my college age daughter....she was surprised that it's even an issue....basically some guys are....some guys aren't. (And she has another story she tell her friends about the weird questions her mother asks her because of the internet...lol...but they are used to that.)

Old 06-09-2015, 11:17 PM

3,967 posts, read 4,561,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The BOLD... Shouldn't it be the man whose penis is being circumcised that should be consulted? As babies we can't so the obvious solution is to NOT do it and let them have the ELECTIVE surgery if they so choose.
I wonder if insurance would cover that. I do know a couple of guys (just 2) uncircumcised who wished they were cut. However circumstances prevent it.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:29 PM

910 posts, read 678,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
The BOLD... Shouldn't it be the man whose penis is being circumcised that should be consulted? As babies we can't so the obvious solution is to NOT do it and let them have the ELECTIVE surgery if they so choose.
It's a valid suggestion, however, every circumcised man I know is happy with the results, and state that they would smack their parents if they hadn't circumcised them. No one would elect that surgery, even if they are happy with the results, and all are glad it was done when the recovery process was quick and they were unable to remember it.

It's much more dangerous to circumcise an adult male than an infant due to the blood vessels being small in newborns. Even after a month it is a much more difficult procedure, and many doctors will not circumcise infants who are more than a few weeks old.

In any case, women really have no place in this argument. Or at least their opinions count less on the matter than mens'.

To the OP, you have your answer. There is a lot of wishful thinking out there, wanting us to live in a world where physical traits don't matter. Love is supposed to conquer all. That's nice on a card, but--yes--the majority (if not a vast majority in some places) people in the US still think uncircumcised penises are gross or weird.

Again, don't worry about it. It's really not that big of a deal. If he really really really hates it, and he's really really really brave, he can get cut. Otherwise there's not much you can do at this stage. Join the wishful thinkers, I guess, and advocate for a change in how society views uncircumcised penises. Good luck. Better just to not sweat it than become one of the crazies.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:05 AM

3,637 posts, read 2,661,056 times
It must be a location thing - because certainly where I come from the practice is near unheard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
My first comment is to remove any photographs that show your children's genitals from the family photo album. Sheesh! Do you have pictures of you or your spouses genitals in there, too?
Not seeing the issue here. Lots of people have a variety of photographs of their children throughout their lives - and they are not always clothed. Where is the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
In addition, how would your 16 year old daughter be so knowledgeable about how teenage females feel about uncircumcised men?
What level of knowledge should they have? Given the amount of information they get from peers, the internet, magazines and more - I am hardly surprised.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:01 AM

176 posts, read 124,621 times
Maybe thousands of years ago and even centuries ago, when people used to have a bath a few times a year, circumcision was necessary, but nowadays, when most people shower at least once a day, it isn't.

I don't know how things are in the US, but over here being as you were born is considered the right thing. I doubt teenage boys or girls would judge someone who is circumcised, or that women would make it an issue, or their level of attraction towards someone would be affected by it. The general view is tolerant and people pay much more attention to other things that have real importance in the life of an individual.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:19 AM

36,467 posts, read 43,250,687 times
I believe it either should be done as a newborn or not at all. I've read stories of grown men never recovering from voluntary circumcision.

My son just had a baby with a Filipina woman who said they don't circumcise infants but wait till they are 10 years old. Horrors! My son is hoping he will have enough influence to keep that from happening. Sounds barbaric to me.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:37 AM

17,087 posts, read 9,684,591 times
Quote:
Fair enough, but what's done is done. I'm not sure why you're agonizing about it at this point. He'll deal with it one way or another.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:41 AM

13,258 posts, read 35,992,347 times
In some parts of the world, circumcision is common and -not- circumcising is uncommon. Even in some parts of the USA. Brooklyn, NY comes to mind. Or Brookline, MA. or Truro, RI. All areas where there's a dense Chassidic/Lubavitcher/Orthodox Jewish population.

I personally think they're ugly looking things, whether they have a hood or not. But it doesn't stop me and my husband from enjoying intimacy.

If the OP's son isn't complaining, I don't see why the mother OR the daughter should care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting