U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,989 times

Advertisements

When my son was born (he's 13 now), I decided to not get him circumcised. I didn't want him to go through any pain and according to all the statistics I read, for boys born in the late 90's/early 00's, the circumcision rate was only around 50%, so I assumed it would be seen as normal for american boys to have foreskins. But, I'm learning more and more that that's not the case. My first realization of this occurred when my son had to get a physical to enroll in elementary school. When it was time for the genital portion of the exam, the pediatrician was not only visibly surprised he was uncircumcised, but she did not seem to understand that it's perfectly normal for a 6 year old boy's foreskin to not be able to be pulled back yet and recommend I have him circumcised. I noticed that next to the "Genitals" box on the form, she checked the "Abnormal finding" box and wrote "uncircumcised" in the margin (Not even "tight foreskin", just "uncircumcised"). I just assumed she acted like this because when she was growing up it was way rarer than it is now and it was seen as gross and weird, and it never crossed my mind that teens still might believe that now a days. However, today (this is what's prompting this post), my daughter (16) was looking through an old family photo album and came across a picture of DS when he was a toddler taking a bath and saw he was uncircumcised. She let out a large "ewwwwww" and started questioning me about why I didn't have him circumcised and if I know how gross and unclean it is and if I know he'll never get a girlfriend. All the stuff I've seen online seems to suggest being uncircumcised is common in America now and the stigma is gone, but after what my daughter said and remembering how the pediatrician acted, I'm not so sure. Does anybody know if at least among teens, hate of uncircumcised boys is common (especially in the Northern Virginia area, which is where I live)? I'm worried about DS.

Old 06-04-2015, 05:59 PM

16,774 posts, read 16,991,413 times
My first comment is to remove any photographs that show your children's genitals from the family photo album. Sheesh! Do you have pictures of you or your spouses genitals in there, too?

Second, once your son starts showering with team mates after sports or in gym class, he would be able to tell you how common being uncircumcised is for boys his own age. Frankly, it never even occurred to me to ask my son if he was or was not different than his classmates in that area. If statistics show that 50% of the boys born at the time that your son was born were uncircumcised then they have to be living somewhere.

Three, IMHO, if a woman loved him, and wanted to have sex with him, it would not matter if he was circumcised or not.

Four, he is now 13, IMHO, he is old enough to wait until adulthood and make his own decision. As an adult he may even move to an area, or a different country, where being uncircumcised is much more common and be happy that it was not done.

My advice is to not worry about it. If you son becomes concerned about it then you can talk to a doctor about it.

PS. I think that the pediatrician was incorrect to write or imply that there was anything wrong with being uncircumcised. Frankly, her comments would have encouraged me to look for a different, more knowledgeable pediatrician.

In addition, how would your 16 year old daughter be so knowledgeable about how teenage females feel about uncircumcised men?

Old 06-04-2015, 06:02 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,869,147 times
I don't see this thread going well.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:07 PM

20,419 posts, read 37,202,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I don't see this thread going well.
That is usually the case with crazy first time posts!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:09 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,869,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That is usually the case with crazy first time posts!
Exactly!

Old 06-04-2015, 06:25 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,684,591 times
Good grief, you live in northern Virginia, where there are lots of immigrant families from regions of the world where circumcision is uncommon. Therefore, I can only assume your doctor is an idiot. Please, for your son's sake, find a new one. And, yes, there are many thirteen-year-olds today who are uncircumcised.

Last edited by randomparent; 06-04-2015 at 06:48 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 06:45 PM

41,976 posts, read 40,767,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
My son is not circumcised. I felt much like you did. On another circumcision thread they had this link. Take a look at the pictures and see which one looks better:

I think the circumcised one looks gross in comparison even though seeing my sons was odd to me at first. My friend also opted out but my sister circumcised. It was swollen and purple for weeks. Looked terrible. Not to mention the drainage! Gross...

Why anyone would do that to a poor baby is beyond me.
Those baby photos aren't exactly objective and they certainly aren't typical. Neither was your nephew's experience.

Besides, this isn't about a thread about WHETHER babies should be circumcised. Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by Miss Blue; Yesterday at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Referring to other members as "trolls" is considered a personal attack. Pls refrain, in order to avoid infractions.

Old 06-04-2015, 06:48 PM

17,087 posts, read 9,684,591 times
Those photos of uncirc'd babies looked pretty much exactly like my sons. Can't speak to the circ'd baby photos.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:29 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,609,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Those baby photos aren't exactly objective and they certainly aren't typical. Neither was your nephew's experience.

Besides, this isn't about a thread about WHETHER babies should be circumcised.Moderator cut: Orphaned
Fetish? Moderator cut: deleted How do you get that from the OP?

Last edited by june 7th; 12-07-2017 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate acronym.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:35 PM

7,170 posts, read 4,555,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Good grief, you live in northern Virginia, where there are lots of immigrant families from regions of the world where circumcision is uncommon. Therefore, I can only assume your doctor is an idiot. Please, for your son's sake, find a new one. And, yes, there are many thirteen-year-olds today who are uncircumcised.
This.

I live in Nor Cal and the statistics are about 50/50. It isn't even something I think about. And I've never received grief about him being intact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting