Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 01:51 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times

Advertisements

I've been letting my son get up on his own since about 3,5, I would get up and get him breakfast, put on cartoons, and go back to bed for another hour or so knowing that he won't move from the TV. However we lived in an apartment so I could hear and see him easily from the bedroom.
Now that he's 5,5 he gets up and grabs a snack like a granola bar or fruit and then plays until I'm up, however, and I've actually just had a thread about this, my parents are always on me that it's not safe now that we're in a house and I don't know what he's up to if he's on a different floor. He IS a curious kid but we've outlined what he can and can't do numerous times, and I also find he tends to be most productive and creative in that time that he's on his own, coming up with games or projects to do, crafts, workbooks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 01:53 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
When I was 16, family friends had a 5 year old girl who got up and tried to make breakfast. She ended up catching her nightie on fire and ultimately died from 3rd degree burns. This always stayed with me, so I was always up with my kids until 7th grade. I had to get to bed earlier than pre-parenthood, but to me it was worth it.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:05 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times
Gosh I cant even remember but I would say, if they're old enough to open the fridge and put the telly on, they're old enough.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:25 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
My 4 year old won't get up on her own, she won't even get out of her bed unless I get her, but on weekend mornings I'll often get her out of bed and put on the sofa with a snack and stick some cartoons on and go back to bed. She comes to my room if she needs something and the rest of the time she sits there as that's pretty much the only time all week she gets to watch TV.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:55 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
When I was 16, family friends had a 5 year old girl who got up and tried to make breakfast. She ended up catching her nightie on fire and ultimately died from 3rd degree burns. This always stayed with me, so I was always up with my kids until 7th grade. I had to get to bed earlier than pre-parenthood, but to me it was worth it.
So sad and I can see how it would stick with you. When I was a kid another kid was taking out the trash and instead of throwing it in the dumpster (apartments) he climbed on it. Just like a step up on the side. It tipped and killed him. That stuck with me too. But I try not to overly worry. Like my kids know not to use the stove at all without mom there

So my kids started doing it only around 7&8. I would have let them sooner but they wanted me up with them.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:06 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
So sad and I can see how it would stick with you. When I was a kid another kid was taking out the trash and instead of throwing it in the dumpster (apartments) he climbed on it. Just like a step up on the side. It tipped and killed him. That stuck with me too. But I try not to overly worry. Like my kids know not to use the stove at all without mom there

So my kids started doing it only around 7&8. I would have let them sooner but they wanted me up with them.

Lots of times I would get up and snooze in a big comfy chair in the den. I could hear them, but they still had the sense of independence. I had all boys, and it was a couple of their ever present friends I was most leary of I guess.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:44 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,235 times
My kids are 10,7, and 4. The older two don't wake me up. I'm not sure when that started - maybe 6, for the older one? The two oldest share a room, so they usually wake the other up, and are together.

My 4-year old usually gets up after the first two kids, and if they are awake, he may just leave me in bed. He wouldn't stay up by himself, though.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:39 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
I'd say around age 5 my kids were allowed to get themselves some cereal, turn on cartoons before we woke up. I'm an early riser though, so usually not more than 30 minutes/an hour of them unsupervised.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:45 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I would say 5 or so. Under that they MIGHT be ok, or you might wake up to find your kid ate all the leftover birthday cake from the night before, or decided to go for a walk around the block in their pajamas :-/

Old 06-13-2015, 07:05 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglander0000 View Post
Just wondering how many years I have before I can sleep a little longer.. Obviously not sleeping in the way I used to pre-babies... But let's say the kids got up at 6 and I slept till 7. At what age do you feel a child is capable of getting up without you needing to get up at the same time?

(Please don't say age 18 I may die of sleep deprivation by then lol)

I didn't do it every day but by the time they were 11 - 12 or so - once I got my son the sleeper out of bed and felt assured that he would not mindlessly return.

It required a little bit of prep on my part - easy to grab breakfast foods like granola bars, yogurt with a plastic spoon taped on top, (night before) bananas, oranges, apples, Capri Sun, bagels and cream cheese (done the night before) those little red cheeses in a bag, grapes, crackers etc.

They actually liked it. It made them feel independent. The bus came three houses away. If the weather was so bad - school would have been called off.

So, no. Not 18. Take heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting