Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 05:34 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,234,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The thing is, children who are 2 years old are repeating words and actions that she has seen her parents say and do.
So in reality Mom & Dad should be punished for teaching a child that young it is okay to say out loud
"She's fat"......

How does a child at at age know that someone is fat? This is not something that comes naturally, it is a learned statement.
Oh not necessarily. It's possible a child that age points things out because they look different or like something the child has never experienced before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 05:38 PM

104 posts, read 111,277 times
[quote=germaine2626;40018196]I agree but with a slight modification.

The water park that we go to is a three hour drive away from our house and it is also a fun outing for my husband and me and the other children. So we would probably give the child that made the comment a lengthy time-out (at least 60 minutes) or make them wait in the car or something like that rather than punish the rest of the family by immediately leaving.

Of course, this would not happen because our children would not say things like that (except maybe when they were just 2 or 3 and still learning appropriate social skills).

Shame on the 10 year old for saying something and double shame on the parents for ignoring it.

I am an overweight woman and I know that those type of comments can be very, very hurtful especially when the parents encourage their child by not correcting them or asking them to apologize.[/QUOTE

Apologies from child and parents and leave immediately thereafter.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:50 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Would you discipline your child for publicly insulting a fat person?
Anyone, regardless of age, may commit a major faux pas and if that results in being unkind to another that offender should immediately and publicly apologize. That said, since it was not your children you have no recourse. Hopefully the offended will see that the world is full of inconsiderate persons and their actions are only reflections on them and their poor upbringing.

Let it go and remember it when your tongue slips inappropriately.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:57 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I am truly dismayed at the number of people who would just go on playing as if nothing happened. Many said that apologizing to the person would embarrass them? Sorry, that ship has sailed. The person is already embarrassed, might as well do the decent thing and apologize.
Who said that?

As a person who has been bullied before, yes it can be embarrassing to receive a public apology. I just wanted to be left alone. I didn't want to be an example.

The decent thing to do is consider the bullied person's feelings, not those of the perpetrator.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Nope, not that I know of. They are now grown, 23 and 19.

If you bring your kids up to not be mean, they are usually NOT MEAN.

My kids have friends who are goth, emo, punk, lesbians, gay, transgender, all the way through high school. These kids were welcomed by the school community too.

Kids learn from example. If the adults in their lives practice tolerance and kindness, so do the kids.

It would be like YOU suddenly tearing off your clothes in the main street. You wouldn't dream of it, because of the way you were brought up.

Same with my kids.

I don't get why some folk find this so difficult to accept....then again, Australian society in general is far, far more tolerant than American, especially our young folk who are brought up side by side in the most genuinely multicultural society there is.

I know I bought my kids up right, to have some manners and not NOT BE UNKIND.

its not that hard...!
Kids are kids and adults are adults. Both make mistakes though they are of differing varieties. My kids' behavior is often lauded by those who know them and strangers alike. That said, they have both done and said stupid things. So have most of their friends AFAIK from talking to their parents. All of these children are brought up right and are taught to respect others, be kind and charitable. They are still children.
Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-17-2015 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: deleted orphaned portion of quoted posr and your response

Old 06-16-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
No, no no.

Kids should be taught at PRESCHOOL not to fat shame, race shame, or any other shame!

Tolerance is a lifestyle not a one off lecture!

Kids are taught at PRESCHOOL and sometimes they still say dumb ****.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:24 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,277,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Who said that?

As a person who has been bullied before, yes it can be embarrassing to receive a public apology. I just wanted to be left alone. I didn't want to be an example.

The decent thing to do is consider the bullied person's feelings, not those of the perpetrator.
As a person who has been bullied before, I wanted an apology - an acknowledgement that it was wrong. No one is considering the perpetrator's feelings.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:41 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
As a person who has been bullied before, I wanted an apology - an acknowledgement that it was wrong. No one is considering the perpetrator's feelings.
If my kids did anything so egregious as mentioned in the OP, you would get one. Fortunately, we made it through the childhood years without any of my three saying anything to embarrass me, or others.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If my kids did anything so egregious as mentioned in the OP, you would get one. Fortunately, we made it through the childhood years without any of my three saying anything to embarrass me, or others.
I didn't want one. I wanted to be left alone. I didn't want to be anyone's Afterschool Special.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:45 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I didn't want one. I wanted to be left alone. I didn't want to be anyone's Afterschool Special.
You don't have to accept the apology, you can turn on your heels and walk away. It seems counter-productive though. Why wouldn't you recognize the parent is attempting teach their child that when you wrong somebody, an apology is expected?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting