Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 07:19 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times

Advertisements

Why must parents be ok with teens having sex, just because they will do it anyway? We don't allow them to do many things until they are older, drinking, driving, voting, etc, yet sex, is fine? I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 08:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,230,149 times
That's something which fascinated me about my parent's generation, who came of age in the late 60's: they were all about free love and smoking dope, but once they had teenagers it was a whole different set of ultraconservative standards being applied. Yet, I remember when I was in high school, it was those of with the least amount of parental interference who got in least amount of trouble... guess because we didn't have much to rebel against . Then again, my youth was in the 90's, which predates the hook-up culture; we tended to couple-up and stick to exploring sex within the context of a relationship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaminofitall View Post
Comparing safe sex with prostitution and drug addiction.

I don't even know what to say to this.

All I can say is, as much as liberal, progressive political correctness bugs me, thank god this generation is more adult/sophisticated than the last.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 06-16-2015 at 09:02 PM..

Old 06-16-2015, 08:42 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
That's something which fascinated me about my parent's generation, who came of age in the late 60's: they were all about free love and smoking dope, but once they had teenagers it was a whole different set of standards ultraconservative being applied. Yet, I remember when I was in high school, it was those of with the least amount of parental interference who got in least amount of trouble... guess because we didn't have much to rebel against . Then again, my youth was in the 90's, which predates the hook-up culture; we tended to couple-up and stick to exploring sex within the context of a relationship.
It's a myth believe me. Most people still have sex in a relationship. The concept of the youth being all sexed up has been going on for generations.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:02 PM

I'm really glad to hear that. My kids aren't in their teens yet, so all I hear thus far are the urban legends that trickle down after being embellished upon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
It's a myth believe me. Most people still have sex in a relationship. The concept of the youth being all sexed up has been going on for generations.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:10 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Why must parents be ok with teens having sex, just because they will do it anyway? We don't allow them to do many things until they are older, drinking, driving, voting, etc, yet sex, is fine? I don't get it.
There are laws governing all those things. Age of consent is 16 where I live so after 16 its perfectly legal for teens to have sex, and sex isn't a bad thing, its not going to harm them if they are doing it safely - why not be ok with it? I assume you don't stop stop your children from drinking/voting/driving once they are of legal age so why sex?

(I fully understand not wanting to allow it in your home if your teenager/their partner hasn't reached age of consent yet as then you are allowing them to do something illegal)

Old 06-17-2015, 12:11 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,448,179 times
For many of us who lived through that period, while we saw people who dabbled in free love and drugs and turned out fine, we also saw many who didn't.

Each child is different. Applying a blanket standard to all children is a mistake. Some kids mature at a very early age and turn out just fine and dandy with minimal oversight. Others absolutely need a strong parental figure and strong boundaries to help them navigate the turbulent waters of teenagedom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
That's something which fascinated me about my parent's generation, who came of age in the late 60's: they were all about free love and smoking dope, but once they had teenagers it was a whole different set of ultraconservative standards being applied. Yet, I remember when I was in high school, it was those of with the least amount of parental interference who got in least amount of trouble... guess because we didn't have much to rebel against . Then again, my youth was in the 90's, which predates the hook-up culture; we tended to couple-up and stick to exploring sex within the context of a relationship.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:31 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,243 times
I will admit, while my parents were fairly conservative and never openly 'allowed' me to have sex at home, me and my now-husband did, both at mine and his place, first with parents out but then progressing to late at night when they were in bed. We dated for over a year before we had sex at all ( when I felt I was ready), so our families knew we were more or less serious at that point. We started dating at 16 and 19, were each other's firsts and first serious relationship, and have now been married for nine years. Having sex at home did not make irresponsible hussies or teen parents from either of us. If anything I was petrified of pregnancy and made sure we were being 300% careful all the time.

So honestly no, I don't get the huge deal about not allowing sex under your roof just for the sake of 'not making it easy for them'. Smacks of hypocrisy to me. For me it would really depend on the circumstances. If I saw they were both responsible and mature enough and in a caring committed relationship, I would stay out of the way after making sure they were using protection. Not that I would probably come out and issue an invitation or say anything, but I wouldn't proactively forbid it either. Most likely, as it was with our parents, it would be a 'don't ask don't tell' scenario, where everyone sort of understands what's going on without necessarily discussing it.

I really don't get the whole 'someone else's daughter' thing either. If I had a,daughter I would consider it my job to monitor her activity and teach her to make responsible choices - NOT the parents of her bf or anyone else. It would have never occurred to me to to blame someone else's parents for allowing their son to have sex with my daughter. My child is my responsibility, and if I felt she was making the wrong choices I would blame myself and myself only. However, to protect myself from these types of blame-shifting parents, that is why I would never openly SAY that I am condoning sex at my place, I simply wouldn't do much to obstruct it - then at least no one can accuse me of somehow 'permitting' their child to have sex - as if its my duty to watch out for someone else's child.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:48 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
They are going to have sex, as a parent you really have no say anymore once the get old enough to have it in their heads. Why not let them do it at home? There at least you have some idea what is going on in their lives and can give support and counsle when needed.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:28 AM

745 posts, read 801,042 times
Age of consent?? I can't believe people are bringing this up...

When was the last time you heard of 2 underage kids being prosecuted for having sex? That just does not happen anymore. Every once in a while you might hear of an 18 year old getting in trouble for banging a 16 year old, but even that is more or less accepted, even though it's technically illegal or statuatory rape or whatever. I think those laws are antiquated.

Pretty much I have read this and if you can't come up with any reason other than religious for kids not having safe sex, you should probably bow out of this topic

Old 06-17-2015, 05:57 AM

I wasn't suggesting that everyone turned out fine, but those who didn't were the statistical outliers, no? It's no different than any other generation, or any other activity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
For many of us who lived through that period, while we saw people who dabbled in free love and drugs and turned out fine, we also saw many who didn't.

Each child is different. Applying a blanket standard to all children is a mistake. Some kids mature at a very early age and turn out just fine and dandy with minimal oversight. Others absolutely need a strong parental figure and strong boundaries to help them navigate the turbulent waters of teenagedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting