Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,204 times

Advertisements

I have a 5 year old boy. He has been potty trained for 2 years now. In the past few months he has been pooping in his pants, literally every day sometimes more than once. It seems he is doing this on purpose? But why? He gets in trouble, ive tried everything from taking away toys, ipad, tv, etc. I even quit my job to stay home with him to try and break this nasty habbit. I also tried to embarrass him with it. I just dont know what to do anymore. Im open to all suggestions. He starts kindergarden in 2 months, and would really to break him of this before then. Please help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 10:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Take him to the pediatrician for a check up to rule out anything physical.

Have there been any changes, new baby, new house, new neighbors, new day care??

Perhaps, it is as simple as he is scared about going to kindergarten, or he is doing it to get more attention.

Hmmmm, Mom quit her job so now she is home full time!?! Yippee!!! She is talking to me all day! Pooping in my pants worked!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:15 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Buy him diapers. Put it on him. Of course he's going to throw a fit, and you just remind him that his behavior is not big boy behavior and babies poop in their pants, and that babies need diapers. He'll probably stop after just 2 diapers. You can't tell him you'll do as it's just an open threat. You have to actually do it.

And since it's summer, remind him that kids that aren't potty trained can't go swimming without a swim diaper...

Old 06-16-2015, 10:37 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
You quit your job because your son is crapping his pants?

Old 06-16-2015, 10:58 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
I assume you've asked him about his behavior - what is his response? Have you tried timed bathroom visits? Do these "accidents" occur at certain times of the day or night? Is he allergic to any foods which might cause diarrhea? Or does he just get too focused on activities to remember to answer nature's call?

If you've checked out all these possibilities, is there even a remote possibility that he is being sexually abused? Such behavior is not uncommon with children who are thus victimized - they try to make themselves repulsive to the abuser.

Take him to the pediatrician, after you have a private talk with the doctor yourself to give him a heads-up about your son's problem.

If this is a real post - the first response to it indicated that it might not be - I hope you'll follow these suggestions.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:28 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
This happens with kids sometimes. In some cases it's an internal problem, so punishing him is only going to make him miserable and is rather cruel. My friend went through this with her child, and it involved getting her a special watch to remind her to go sit on the toilet at regular intervals until her bowels were "retrained."

This also happens sometimes if a child is being sexually molested.

Why haven't you involved the pediatrician yet?

Old 06-17-2015, 12:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
This happened to my friend's son when he started kindergarten. Totally out of the blue. Punishing him isn't the answer. Take him to the pediatrician to make sure nothing is wrong. I feel your frustration.

Old 06-17-2015, 02:32 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
This happens with kids sometimes. In some cases it's an internal problem, so punishing him is only going to make him miserable and is rather cruel. My friend went through this with her child, and it involved getting her a special watch to remind her to go sit on the toilet at regular intervals until her bowels were "retrained."

This also happens sometimes if a child is being sexually molested.

Why haven't you involved the pediatrician yet?
Exactly. Get him to his pediatrician asap.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:09 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
Encopresis. Look it up. It's a medical condition. Fixed with medicine, namely laxatives and miralax. Punishing and embarrassing makes it worse. Stop that at once unless you want bigger bathroom problems. Treat the medical issue and it will resolve.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:34 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalker81190 View Post
I have a 5 year old boy. He has been potty trained for 2 years now. In the past few months he has been pooping in his pants, literally every day sometimes more than once. It seems he is doing this on purpose? But why? He gets in trouble, ive tried everything from taking away toys, ipad, tv, etc. I even quit my job to stay home with him to try and break this nasty habbit. I also tried to embarrass him with it. I just dont know what to do anymore. Im open to all suggestions. He starts kindergarden in 2 months, and would really to break him of this before then. Please help me.
In my experience, changes in behavior this drastic are because he is dealing with something he doesn't understand.

Not to scare you, but my niece started wetting the bed at 9-10 so my sister took her to the Doc. He said she had an incontinence issue and prescribed medicine. Months later my sister caught her husband having inappropriate relations with my niece. He went to jail and after a year of counseling, the bed wetting stopped.

However, there is a condition called Encopresis that is typically caused by constipation so that the child fears pooping (because of the strain/pain) so they hold it as long as possible... resulting in it coming out on it's own.

Try talking to him about why this happens. I would look at his stool to see what state it is in. If it is normal stool (brown, shaped like a hot dog, and does not float) then likely it is a psychological issue. If his stool is other colors, floats, or is hard then you should probably go to the Doc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting