Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 05:47 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times

Advertisements

Teach your kid to ask before coming near stranger dogs

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 10:04 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
and it should go beyond that. if they are given permission to approach stranger dog then they need to be taught how to do it...put BACK of the hand out for the dog to sniff. NEVER APPROACH A STRANGER DOG WITH OPEN HAND. IF THE DOG REACTS POSITIVELY, THEN YOU CAN PAT HIS HEAD OR BACK BUT ONLY AFTER THE DOG HAS A CHANCE TO SMELL AND GREET.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:30 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
I second both these posts! I have been very fortunate to have had three dogs in a row that were very "kid friendly" but many dogs are more timid and others are nervous around children with their quick movements and higher pitched voice, especially older ones that aren't around children regularly.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:05 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,790 times
We have a dog pursuer behind a corner. I do understand she loves dogs and would want to pet them. But she sneaks behind peoples back and behind a dog and tries to touch them secretly and without asking. I tried kindly tell her that could be dangerous for all participants and how she should do instead. Her mother saw her doing this and she did not say anything. Who would let a kid sneak behind people like that even they would not have a dog with? Dogs are on the leash.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:09 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
One hundred times yes. Luckily every child who has pet our dog has asked first.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:04 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,968 times
Yes! I so agree! I have a 20 lb dog and he is friendly but some kids just do not know how to behave with dogs. For example, a dog does not want to be picked up by a stranger or for anyone to ride the dog like a horse.

I was out with my dog recently. My dog was relieving himself and a neighborhood kid came running up on my dog. The father corrected him but the kid said oh it's fine. While it might be fine with my dog, I tell my kids as a rule you never bother a dog who is relieving himself or eating. You just don't know how the dog will react and we always ask if it is OK to approach the dog in the first place!

Old 06-23-2015, 12:38 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
I agree with these posts.

While we're at it, can we please have all the dog owners not brush aside a child's fear or nervousness of a stranger dog with a dismissive "Oh, he's very friendly. He loves kids. He won't bite"?? That's great, but my kid still doesn't want your dog and his wet nose all over her. She really doesn't.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I agree with these posts.

While we're at it, can we please have all the dog owners not brush aside a child's fear or nervousness of a stranger dog with a dismissive "Oh, he's very friendly. He loves kids. He won't bite"?? That's great, but my kid still doesn't want your dog and his wet nose all over her. She really doesn't.
Was once walking my 4 year old around the block when a dog as big-or bigger- than her came galloping up to greet us. She freaked even though we had two dogs of our own at home. Owner came out all smiley and sweet and said "Oh he won't hurt her ...he's very friendly" to which I replied..."when an unfamiliar animal comes running up to you at eye level it can be terrifying. Did you ever think about that? I ought to be able to walk my child around the block without having her scared to death". Strangely enough he said he hadn't thought about being face to face with strange animal and he would be more careful about keeping his dog up or under his control.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:31 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,127,339 times
1. Ask the owner. If they say "No," the answer is NO. STOP! If they say "Yes," go to step two.

2. Ask the dog. You do this by (1) NOT looking directly at the dog but stand sideways to the dog. Check out the body language. Does the dog appear relaxed? Worried? Bossy? Dog Detective | Dog body language for kids. IF the dog appears friendly, relaxed and comfortable, go to step three. Otherwise, STOP! Do NOT pet the dog. S/he is saying, "NO."

3. Extend the back of your hand and let the dog sniff your hand. Then, if the dog still appears relaxed and friendly (they usually will at this point) quietly turn your hand over and gently scratch the dogs chest front of the neck area (under the lower jaw. DO NOT pet the dog on top of its head or on its back. Those are dominance gestures and considered by dogs to be rather rude. And, although dogs that know you or are just very submissive will accept this (as well as hugs) many dogs will not and will let you know they nwill not (with a growl or even a bite).

Old 06-23-2015, 09:44 AM

483 posts, read 655,313 times
We live in an apartment currently so there are kids everywhere. I normally see the kids first and if they seem interested we always ask if "they would like to pet them." luckily both of our dogs love kids and its always fun to let the kids love on them. We always show the kids where to pet them, what their names are etc. Both kids and dogs enjoy the attention.

Also got to give mad props to the parents around here, they always hold the kids back and either ask or wait until we ask. At this point most of the kids know our dogs and come up to them, sometimes walking takes a long time lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting