Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 11:44 AM

649 posts, read 570,040 times

Advertisements

No heartwarming or interesting story here, I just picked names that I liked and that I thought flowed well with their first and last name.

I'm not particularly close to anyone in my family so I didn't feel the need to use a family name. I also don't like any of the female names on my husband's side so that wasn't an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 12:04 PM

18,128 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
What did you do with the middle names for your children?
1st son - Grandfather's name on mom's side
2nd son - Dad's name
3rd son - Grandfather and Great-grandfather's name on dad's side

Old 06-23-2015, 12:14 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,474 times
I have always preferred my middle name.

It's pretty and EVERYONE can spell it unlike my first name.

in the last year I have started to use my middle name exclusively. Some people don't like it and still call me the old name and some people act like I'm a Russian spy or something.

I wish I'd done it YEARS ago. I loathe my first name, its ugly and reminds me of my mother. Not good memories btw.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:44 PM

509 posts, read 554,465 times
For all of our kids:
We had lists of names that we liked and lowered it to the top 2. Of them whichever name was most popular(in society) became the middle name, the first name was the more unique name.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:17 PM

197 posts, read 208,860 times
We have a son & a daughter—both adults now. We decided not to give them middle names. They could choose their own when they wanted to. Neither one ever did.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:59 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
What did you do with the middle names for your children?

Our first two children were twins, a boy and a girl. Less than a week before we found out she was pregnant, my wife's maternal grandfather passed away. Four months later, my own maternal grandfather died.

My wife's grandfather's name was Francis - we chose to give our daughter the feminine version of the name as her middle name, Frances. For his middle name, we gave our son my grandfather's name, which also is my middle name (also from my grandfather). And we decided on this early enough (we knew the sexes of our babies-to-be after the first ultrasound) that we were able to tell my grandfather before he passed (it was clear he wouldn't live long enough to meet them) that one of his two first great-grandchildren would be so named after him.

Our third and last child got my first name as his middle name.

That's what we did. What did you do?

I like middle names. If there is a person to be honored, the middle is the best place. However, no mater how much I loved Great Uncle Cloyd, that name would not be used for my children.

We used traditional family names for their middle names - "David" and "Grace", and easy to pronounce, but more stylish - not "trendy - trashy" - meaningful first names.

I did not let family dictate the names. Had I announced the gender, we would have been inundated with suggestions. So we didn't.

My children are 18 and 21 now and they both love their names - first and middle.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Agreed. Besides, middle names are so useless. Who ever really uses his/her middle name? I can't think of a single time in my life I've ever needed my middle name for anything.
It is a very, very long tradition in my ancestors area of Europe to use your middle name as your first name. Many of my relatives do it and I have done it for the last 40 years.

Both of my children use their middle names on a regular basis (my last name). In fact now that my son is married his full legal name never fits on anything.

His name is something like this (not the real name but close to it)

John (real first name) Barry (long time nickname) Goldbloom (wife's last name) Johnson (mother's last name) Rothstein (Father's last name)

When he introduces himself it is Dr. John Barry Goldbloom Johnson Rothstein. But on published papers he simplifies it to Dr. John Barry Rothstein (still quite a mouthful).

Old 06-23-2015, 05:53 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times
My first name is rather unique so my mother gave me the most common middle name of baby girls born in my generation. People expect an equally exotic middle and are always disappointed...lol.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:09 PM

634 posts, read 708,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
All my kids have the same middle name, my wife's maiden name.
This is exactly what we did. My husband and I both agreed that our children should have both of our last names in their name. So all of our children share the same middle and last name.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:19 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,101,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I've never understood naming people after other people. I believe babies/children/people should have their own identity.
I agree. I was named after my father and grandfather, so my first name is one that you rarely hear anymore these days and that even SOUNDS old; it doesn't fit me at all, so thankfully I have a middle name that I like, so I have always just gone by that. I still hate it when doctors, secretaries, or whatever who don't know me on a personal level call me by my first name though, so I can never fully shake it even though I hate it and never use it.

Plus, I'm a grown man now who doesn't even live in the same state as my father anymore, yet I STILL get sent his mail and receive phone calls meant for him from different companies and business people, and vice versa.

It is VERY annoying and "smothering" for a child to be named after another family member (especially one who is still alive and who has lived in the same household). Do your child a favor and let them be their own person with their own name and identity. Trust me, they will thank you for it later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting