Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 11:52 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times

Advertisements

Well, not all newborns are particularly attractive. Sometimes their heads are misshapen from the birth process (forceps baby) like my son's was or they're bald as a doorknob like my daughter was.

She had an appealing sparkle in her eyes to make up for the grandpa head. But for the first several months of his life my son wore an expression of "What happened?" that was hilarious but hardly brag-worthy. Poor kid.

Now, of course, at forty-two and thirty-nine they are the picture of attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 11:57 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times
Too hard to answer when they are the product of you. Plus, as the parent you know all the amazing qualities of your child/ren which I think overshadows physical features.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:44 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
I'm sure there are parents who can see their kids objectively and know whether or not they are good looking. I personally worry that my children could be unattractive. My husband and I are both average looking, but if you took the wrong attributes from each of us and put them together? Yikes, a disaster could definitely strike.

Most newborn babies are not very cute, IMO. All I can figure is that something hormonal is triggered during the birth process so every parent finds their own kids cute, even when they are not. Judging by the number of not-so-cute baby pictures in my Facebook feed, most parents think their kids are the bee's knees.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:39 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,157 times
When my middle child was a baby, I thought she was rather homely. She was skinny, her eyes were too big for her head, and bald. She was also a rather solemn baby, not very interactive, and I wasn't in a good place in other areas of my life.

She grew into a HUGE personality, very chatty and charismatic, but also very kind and generous. She's outgoing and daring, lots of fun to be around. Everybody wants to be her friend, which is fine, because she wants to be everybody's friend, too.

Now when I look at pictures of her baby years, I think, "Hmmm, she's not so bad after all".

Old 06-23-2015, 02:45 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I think when you love someone, they are beautiful in your eyes. Plus when you share a gene pool, it would be tough to say, "I think my kids are ugly, because I think I'm ugly." If your kids look like you, of course you're going to think they're attractive.

That being said, being attractive is not a prerequisite for love. Many parents have children who are disabled or deformed in some way, and still love them to pieces. Beauty is not a requirement for love, and when you love someone they become beautiful to you no matter what.
Absolutely!!!!! We have all heard the expression about someone having a face that "only a mother could love".

Old 06-23-2015, 02:48 PM

22,146 posts, read 19,198,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I think when you love someone, they are beautiful in your eyes.
Beauty is not a requirement for love, and when you love someone they become beautiful to you no matter what.

yes
this
lovely

thank you shaylahc

Old 06-23-2015, 02:53 PM

509 posts, read 554,249 times
Even if a child goes through an ugly phase, all kids used to be infants and toddlers. Babies are adorable. Childhood is an adorably wonderful time.

Though really I think it's like asking someone to find flaws in a home they've lived in for 50 years.
It's not so much the home, but the memories in the home. That's why it can be so difficult to get elderly people to sell their houses.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:35 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
When my middle child was a baby, I thought she was rather homely. She was skinny, her eyes were too big for her head, and bald. She was also a rather solemn baby, not very interactive, and I wasn't in a good place in other areas of my life.

She grew into a HUGE personality, very chatty and charismatic, but also very kind and generous. She's outgoing and daring, lots of fun to be around. Everybody wants to be her friend, which is fine, because she wants to be everybody's friend, too.

Now when I look at pictures of her baby years, I think, "Hmmm, she's not so bad after all".
I actually think part of why I don't find newborn babies that cute is that they don't have much personality yet at that point. Even just a few months later most babies are very cute, IMO, but the new new ones, eh...

Obviously, I expect to feel differently about my own baby.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:52 PM

10,064 posts, read 7,229,638 times
I'm not nearly as handsome as my dad was in his prime. He was 6'5" and looked like Robert Redford. He had a great physique, rugged looks, blue eyes, light hair, good teeth.

I'm 5'10" and look something like Mark Cuban if I'm not working out, more like Tobey McGuire if I'm working out. Much more of an "average" body type and my teeth aren't the greatest.

I'm sure he noticed it. I think my dad was always a little disappointed that I did not grow taller. He never said anything directly to me, but every once in a while back when I was dating, he'd ask why don't you date so-and-so? [some super hot girl way out of my league] When he was that age his girlfriends were stunners. My mom was quite the catch when she was young too, in fact I didn't recognize her in her pics from the 70s.

I wanted to tell him "Dad, I don't have movie-star looks so I've got to pick my battles wisely." Occasionally he'd also prod me when I would gain some weight "so what gym are you using now?" or something like that.

Last edited by redguard57; 06-23-2015 at 05:07 PM..

Old 06-23-2015, 06:16 PM

634 posts, read 708,332 times
Before I had children, I definitely thought there were unattractive kids. But since I became a mom, it really is hard for me to not see beauty or cuteness in every child. When I am out and about, I notice children and their beautiful faces all of the time.

I will also say that with my 1st, I thought he was the the most beautiful person that I had ever seen. A few months ago, I was looking through some past baby pictures of him on my PC - lol, love is blind. He was kind of funny looking - big round head, round eyes, round cheeks - just very round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting