Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 06:42 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times

Advertisements

I've come across few parents who openly admit their kids aren't cute. One woman flat out said her kid was ugly. I don't think all kids are cute, and if my kids were not "objectively" aesthetically pleasing I *would* be intellectually honest enough to admit that to myself.

They can be precious, but not all are cute, just like not all adults are good-looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:43 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,679,372 times
Fascinating question, I'm not a parent so I can't answer. I would wager that there are some parents who know deep down, but really don't care. They love their child, and that is all that is important.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:51 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Well, not all newborns are particularly attractive.Sometimes their heads are misshapen from the birth process (forceps baby) like my son's was or they're bald as a doorknob like my daughter was.

She had an appealing sparkle in her eyes to make up for the grandpa head. But for the first several months of his life my son wore an expression of "What happened?" that was hilarious but hardly brag-worthy. Poor kid.

Now, of course, at forty-two and thirty-nine they are the picture of attraction.
That is true, and well into infancy and toddlerhood. Some babies really benefit by growing into their looks. Like lttle old man syndrome. Not all have soft, angelic-looking features.

All of my kids were very pretty newborns. No head molding or anything. My eldest was such a gorgeous newborn, and she still is quite stunning. She and my youngest daughter have a more "exotic" look. My son was a "pretty" baby. He had/has softer features and his curly hair gets attention from the ladies. My second daughter was a very pretty newborn, though she had some bruising on the bridge of her nose and her eyes were blood shot from her very rapid birth.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:28 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,830 times
As a kid, I looked gaudy. Terrible. Bad hair and everything.

As a teenager, I looked quite a bit like Tevin Campbell when he was younger.

As a young adult, I bore a rather disturbing resemblance to P. Diddy.

The entire time, half of my parents claimed I was a "totally handsome young man". Lies.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:32 AM

563 posts, read 524,281 times
Default I was just thinking about that song, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Sometimes I just can't help it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFq6eZBS1iM
I know parents, not the best probably, but then again, that was not the question. Do parents think one of their kids is better looking than the other. YES. Do parents have favorites. YES Both of these situations are subject to change as time goes on and the kid grows up. Parents are just like everyone else and we all know that no one is perfect. Right? It seems to me, and maybe you too, parents like children that are sort of low maintenance. No I am not talking about handicapped or something that no one could do anything about. This world has gotten so PC that it is hard to comment on the weather without someone getting their nose all bent out of shape.

What I mean is, parents like a child that is not going to cause them a whole lot of grief, just walking to school. Every kid has their own personality and character. Some are fighters, some are quiet, some stand out in a crowd and some blend in with the scenery. Its seems to me, if you are the best parent God ever created and you do all of the right things, your kids may possibly do something that you won't approve of them doing. Like hanging out with that neighbor kid and they both get caught at the 7-11 for stealing some hostess cup cakes!

Last edited by Hollywood55; 06-24-2015 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: Spell

Old 06-24-2015, 03:57 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
Ok, being honest here: when my firstborn son was born, he was beautiful. A nicely formed face, sweet eyes and was cute as a button.

Our second born son had squinty little eyes and I can't say that I ever commented that he was a beautiful baby. lol

They both grew up to be very good looking men. Not bragging, but my youngest is very handsome. His girlfriend (who is now his wife) once said to me when they began dating " your son is HOT". I nodded my head and laughed. What was I to say? Yes he's hot? lol

Old 06-24-2015, 04:57 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
I'm sure there are parents who can see their kids objectively and know whether or not they are good looking. I personally worry that my children could be unattractive. My husband and I are both average looking, but if you took the wrong attributes from each of us and put them together? Yikes, a disaster could definitely strike.
I laughed at your post because I talk to my husband about the same thing. I'm like, "Hopefully our kid will get XYZ from you and ABC from me!" Because if the bolded happens---poor kid. I'm actually worried our kid(s) would have awful teeth because both of us do (I had braces, so mine aren't awful anymore but they're still not the best) and he hasn't (but was supposed to) and if you put both sets of awfulness together---.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:44 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
The entire time, half of my parents claimed I was a "totally handsome young man". Lies.
What did the other half claim?

Old 06-24-2015, 01:39 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
My daughter is mixed and she gets a lot of compliments about how cute she is. I try to remain unbiased so it doesn't get to my head, but as a parent, you can't help but take pride in your own kids. I just don't think there is any need for any parent to own up to the fact their kids aren't cute. We don't have a superficial relationship with our kids.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:53 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
All I know is that I never ONCE remember hearing my parents say I was cute or had pretty eyes or looked just like ____ in an admiring way. I don't know that they thought I was ugly, but looks were certainly not as important as doing well in school, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting