Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 04:59 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,043 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: delete
Girls, 12 and 14, arrested in death of bullied Florida girl who killed herself | Fox News

Kids can be arrested in some cases if bullying others.

Then why some parents don't want to stop bullying (themself and their kids) but they instead think it is ok to mock all who does not fit into their "beauty standards".

What is parents responsibility in this?

I tend to correct also strangers kids but adults and parents seem to be a root of bullying other peoples appearance (among media etc.)

When all parents are going to take responsibility? (fyi I know there is lot of parents who already took the responsibility, kudos for them).

Last edited by Miss Blue; 06-27-2015 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: deleted off topic reference to another thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 07:42 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Parents can only try to teach their children compassion and kindness and model that behavior, and if they are aware that their children have engaged in bullying, to issue and follow through on consequences.

Whether or not parents choose to do that or not, though, is up to them, but I think it is a great pity that bullying is not dealt with severely and in a very consistent manner by all schools and all communities. I also think that parents should be punished if it can be proven (in cases where a child ended up hurting or killing herself or himself) that they knew about the bullying but did not issue any kind of consequences to their children -- and follow through on those consequences.

I have read so many posts on which parents actually defend bullying; and I think that is just sad, disgusting, and outrageous.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:06 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,223,250 times
I personally think that the word bullying is overused and has become the catch all phrase for teasing, peer pressure etc.
To say that all bullying be dealt with severely and consistently would require a firm definition and since parents/teachers. schools etc are all over the map on what bullying is, a definition IMO is going to be hard to come by.

I'm a bit old school and feel that teasing and peer pressure are part of growing up and learning to cope with others. However, I have met many parents who skip teasing and peer pressure because in their mind, anything and everything said or done that is not "nice" is bullying and must be dealt with severely.

I don't buy into this philosophy so some might say I am pro bullying, which I am not, I just have a higher standard of harassment before the word comes into play.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post

I have read so many posts on which parents actually defend bullying; and I think that is just sad, disgusting, and outrageous.
This is why I started this subject.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
I personally think that the word bullying is overused and has become the catch all phrase for teasing, peer pressure etc.
To say that all bullying be dealt with severely and consistently would require a firm definition and since parents/teachers. schools etc are all over the map on what bullying is, a definition IMO is going to be hard to come by.

I'm a bit old school and feel that teasing and peer pressure are part of growing up and learning to cope with others. However, I have met many parents who skip teasing and peer pressure because in their mind, anything and everything said or done that is not "nice" is bullying and must be dealt with severely.

I don't buy into this philosophy so some might say I am pro bullying, which I am not, I just have a higher standard of harassment before the word comes into play.

As kids (and adults) has different temper and characters, have you think of that for some kid "slightly" bullying can be really heavy?

Are you thinking this sensitive kid does not deserve protection of bullying but this kid should reach some level and tolerance?

Why actually people should tolerate any bs?

There is no reason to be mean nor listen to meanies.

Some people do have high tolerance of pain too, they take tattoos etc. But if a tattoo is made of against persons will that is a battery.

We cannot change peoples tolerance of things. We are not same, we have no same families, same experiences, same support from home, we all are individuals and we have individual limits.

There is nice playing when everyone are laughing and then there is bullying when only target of bullying is not laughing. It is not fun or a game anymore.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:20 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,133 times
Both of my sons were bullied and not ONE parent would believe their kid would do that. I do think it would be a good idea to fine the parents and I can see a time in the future where it's foreseeable with all of the cameras nowadays.

It starts at home and always has. Children learn what they live. I was sick and disgusted at the lack of concern from a group of 7 parents that thought their kids were angels. I even bought a tape recorder to hear what my son was putting up with at lunchtime every single day!

We aren't perfect and we surely don't have perfect kids, although way too many parents believe every word that comes out of their kids mouths. I lied sometimes as a kid and I knew my kids would also lie.

There's a difference between teasing a kid occasionally and making their life a living hell. When a parent is called by the principal or a teacher and that parent chooses to do nothing, they're encouraging their child to bully.

There's been enough school violence that any parent today that doesn't teach their kids to be accepting of others that are different from them, is putting your child's life up for grabs. You have no idea how severe some of this abuse can be and when a kid kills themselves over it, the parents and the bullies should pay.

My sis was in the hospital in middle school from guys bullying her because she was so tall. She had constant stomach problems because of it.

For the parents that have been informed about their kid being a bully and they don't believe it. Maybe the next time, the kid won't take his/her own life, but the bully's life. You never know when someone can reach their breaking point yet alone if they have a mental illness. It's best to teach your kids to do the right thing, but that's not always possible when the parent's don't do the right thing.

Nothing in life is guaranteed and people can be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

There most definitely is a difference in teasing and bullying. The school systems are trying to help eliminate the problem, but the parents have to work with the school system too.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:29 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
I start own thread for this because shaving ( Girls shaving-Removing body hair )topic is going off topic.

Girls, 12 and 14, arrested in death of bullied Florida girl who killed herself | Fox News

Kids can be arrested in some cases if bullying others.

Then why some parents don't want to stop bullying (themself and their kids) but they instead think it is ok to mock all who does not fit into their "beauty standards".

What is parents responsibility in this?

I tend to correct also strangers kids but adults and parents seem to be a root of bullying other peoples appearance (among media etc.)

When all parents are going to take responsibility? (fyi I know there is lot of parents who already took the responsibility, kudos for them).
We had a bullying situation at a school my son just moved to. I saw signs all year but when I brought it up to the counselor, she said maybe I was overreacting but they would investigate. Finally, my husband got a name from my son and he was investigated (secretly) found that it was true and suspended... My son is so much happier now. It is hard for parents to recognize this, especially if the kid won't name names.

I think parents of bullies should make them apologize but again, we aren't at school so it's hard for a parent to believe unless they saw it happen or are in denial.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:10 AM

676 posts, read 725,718 times
I do not think that the parents should be fined or worse for what their kids do. I have always been heavy set, so I always got teased. I learned to deal with it. The parents should punish their kids that are bullying but even punishment doesn't always make it stop.

growing up I found that just about every teacher will ignore the bullying like they never seen it. I have told teachers countless times and its always " i didnt see it, cant do nothing" additude. Once I hit 4th grade it struck me that I am twice as big as these kids and one by one started beating these kids senseless. after a few fights, the kids usually figure out its not a good idea to mess with the fat kid.

Each year their was always a few kids that needed to get beat down, but that was fine with me. It really gets into a bullys head when with no warning they are getting punhed in the face repeatedly. This aint TV, there is no meet me after school. It was always unexpected, in school where I could catch them. if more kids being bullied would resort to violance, there lives would be alot happier.

I never cared that I would get grounded after a fight, holding my parents responsible for my actions would gave been rediculous. they did what was appropriate for that situation and thats all you can ask of any parent. If a kid is going to kill them self from getting teased, then they have bigger issues that need to be looked into. when my son is teased, I tell him to tell a teacher, if that dont work, he has permission to use force

Old 06-25-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
I do not think that the parents should be fined or worse for what their kids do. I have always been heavy set, so I always got teased. I learned to deal with it. The parents should punish their kids that are bullying but even punishment doesn't always make it stop.

growing up I found that just about every teacher will ignore the bullying like they never seen it. I have told teachers countless times and its always " i didnt see it, cant do nothing" additude. Once I hit 4th grade it struck me that I am twice as big as these kids and one by one started beating these kids senseless. after a few fights, the kids usually figure out its not a good idea to mess with the fat kid.

Each year their was always a few kids that needed to get beat down, but that was fine with me. It really gets into a bullys head when with no warning they are getting punhed in the face repeatedly. This aint TV, there is no meet me after school. It was always unexpected, in school where I could catch them. if more kids being bullied would resort to violance, there lives would be alot happier.

I never cared that I would get grounded after a fight, holding my parents responsible for my actions would gave been rediculous. they did what was appropriate for that situation and thats all you can ask of any parent. If a kid is going to kill them self from getting teased, then they have bigger issues that need to be looked into. when my son is teased, I tell him to tell a teacher, if that dont work, he has permission to use force

It is sometimes hard to put oneself into a situation what other kids have. All teased kids are not physically stronger and also it would be sad to let physical violence to be only answer to mental violence.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:35 PM

676 posts, read 725,718 times
the one and only time I have had help from the school is when I went directly to the principal and told her one way or another, the teasing would be stopped. The principal knowing me for a couple years at that time knew what I ment and she suspended the kid and he never talked to me again. They really need to work on the school teachers before they even worry about the parents. teachers acting like they don't see anything is a huge problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting