Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:45 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,118,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
He is not 6 yet he is 5 he will be six in october. He can read, write, and do basic addition. However, he is not very mature and having to sit down for a longer time and losing nap may be a big shock. His catholic school was willing to deal with it not so sure how public school is.
Send him to kindergarten. If he is already immature, it will only get worse the older he gets. In our area he would be at the normal starting age for kindergartners and would be on the older side of his class. If he were to go right to 1st grade, he would be the youngest in the class, by over a year for some of his classmates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 12:10 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
kinder garden in my day was adjustment period so kids got use to being away from parents in a classroom situation with guided structure by teacher. That mean when they got to where they were in real learning class they accepted it to better learn. Often it identified problems some children may have also. I am 67 and to tell you the truth I remember more of Kindergarten than say first or second grade; so it obviously made a lasting impression on me.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:50 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
This is the first one I googled, but you can find first grade readiness checklists online. Try to assess your son honestly, and if his preK teacher is willing, ask her to assess him too. If you think he really is not ready, you will have some objective points to raise with the school, and hopefully, you can get them to do their own readiness analysis. If he's really not ready, tell them that it will be detrimental to his entire educational experience if they set him up for failure.

First grade skills checklist

Last edited by emm74; 06-26-2015 at 12:59 PM..

Old 06-26-2015, 12:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
This one lists Kindergarten skills for beginning, middle and end of the year.

Mondi, Cynthia / Kindergarten Skills Checklist

Here's another one:

Preschool, Kindergarten End-of-the-Year Academic Checklist

and another
https://teacher.ocps.net/perri.woote...pectations.pdf

Old 06-26-2015, 01:11 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
I'm not sure what it's like in NYC, but down here in Alabama, the trend is to send boys to Kindergarten at age 5 turning 6, or 6 turning 7.

If it's anything like that where you are, if you send your 5 turning 6 boy to 1st grade, he could be up to 2 years behind his peers. Unless he is naturally both smart and confident, that is a recipe for disaster.

Not to mention, if you send him to 1st grade at age 5, he will go off to college at 17.

I'd fight to keep him in Kindergarten, and pay for private if I had to.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:52 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
kinder garden in my day was adjustment period so kids got use to being away from parents in a classroom situation with guided structure by teacher. That mean when they got to where they were in real learning class they accepted it to better learn. Often it identified problems some children may have also. I am 67 and to tell you the truth I remember more of Kindergarten than say first or second grade; so it obviously made a lasting impression on me.
I agree.. At least on the sentiment, if not the spelling..

Kindergarten is a social thing, not an education thing.. In addition to the points you make above, it also gets kids used to being around other kids. Many children with no siblings, this is the first time that they'll regularly be around other children.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:05 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I agree.. At least on the sentiment, if not the spelling..

Kindergarten is a social thing, not an education thing.. In addition to the points you make above, it also gets kids used to being around other kids. Many children with no siblings, this is the first time that they'll regularly be around other children.
Even 16 years ago when my daughter went to kindergarten, it was most definitely NOT a social thing. They expected you to have had at least one year of preschool, preferred 2, and MANY students were not passed into first grade from kindergarten due to academics. They were put into "extended first grade" where they were brought up to speed for insertion into first grade the next year.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
This one lists Kindergarten skills for beginning, middle and end of the year.

Mondi, Cynthia / Kindergarten Skills Checklist
This is similar to the kindergarten skill levels in my area.

If parents think that K is just singing songs, listening to stories, having free choice play time and doing fun art projects they will be sorely mistaken.

Old 06-26-2015, 05:34 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
something to keep in mind,,, applies more to boys than girls..

whenever you may put/push/nudge a kid ahead.....if he's going to be the youngest kid in class,,,he also may be the smallest,,,and no boy wants to be the smallest kid in class...

if this isn't an issue,,,

also,,,,keep this in mind,,,pre-k or kindergarten is good for spoiled little brats that don't share or take what they want..

they have to follow rules,,,this is good for most kids before first grade

Old 06-26-2015, 05:38 PM

493 posts, read 512,038 times
My mom is a retired first grade teacher. She did assessed him for me. She said academically he is fine; however, she did agree with me that he will not sit as long as expected. She also told me to put him back in private school since the public schools here are quick to label children especially those of color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting