Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:51 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,700,377 times

Advertisements

I find that most kids play both styles of games.....board, card and video. They both have their place.

My daughter has played video games since age 4....but we still played Sorry, Uno, Trouble (those were favorites) and a few others.

Now that she comes home from college we play cribbage, poker and Cards Againest Humanity (not for the easily offended....lol).

A couple of weeks ago I was at a friend who has younger kids (age 7 snd 9) house and we ended up playing Uno on the back deck with her two and a friend they had over. It was getting dark so after the fireflies came out the kids started chasing them and the adults enjoyed a glass of wine. All without a single electronic game in sight.

Not really sure what your concern is here though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 09:24 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,635,959 times
In the event of a no-power, nothing to do situation, of course the kids are going to miss their electronics. But they will adapt. If I had kids, my hurricane kit would include cards, a Uno deck, some crayons and coloring books (depending on age), maybe checkers, and something they have never seen before; maybe 3 or 4 matchbox cars, a small nerf football, etc.

Kids will play with anything if they have to. Yes, they are ridiculously addicted to their electronics these days. But if all that fails, they may fuss for a while but can eventually be coaxed into a card game or a session of throwing the ball outside. Small kids only need a sheet draped over a table to make them a fort, then throw in some pillows and small toy animals or something. They will figure it out.

Old 06-29-2015, 04:51 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I find that most kids play both styles of games.....board, card and video. They both have their place.

My daughter has played video games since age 4....but we still played Sorry, Uno, Trouble (those were favorites) and a few others.

Now that she comes home from college we play cribbage, poker and Cards Againest Humanity (not for the easily offended....lol).

A couple of weeks ago I was at a friend who has younger kids (age 7 snd 9) house and we ended up playing Uno on the back deck with her two and a friend they had over. It was getting dark so after the fireflies came out the kids started chasing them and the adults enjoyed a glass of wine. All without a single electronic game in sight.

Not really sure what your concern is here though.
I'm pretty open minded but I'm not sure that I would be willing to play that card game with my adult children. (But, I have seen HS & college age kids play it and they absolutely loved it).

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-29-2015 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-29-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'm pretty open minded but I'm not sure that I would be willing to play that card game with my adult children. (But, I have seen HS & college age kids play it and the absolutely love it).
Depends on the family...I would never play this with my mother....but I would with some of her friends! As a family we've always had a....a collective sense of irony and datk humour that works with the game.

I had bought it orginally for the kid to take back to college after we played it....but she didnt...she didn't think her friends could handle it!

Old 06-30-2015, 08:20 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,635,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Depends on the family...I would never play this with my mother....but I would with some of her friends! As a family we've always had a....a collective sense of irony and datk humour that works with the game.

I had bought it orginally for the kid to take back to college after we played it....but she didnt...she didn't think her friends could handle it!
Yeah I agree with this. I try hard to keep up with up whatever is going on out there so I can stay relevant. I looked up "Cards Against Humanity" on the web and quickly decided I was not going to play this with my daughters and their husbands. I have a great relationship with my kids, but there are some boundaries that don't need to be crossed!!!!!

Old 07-03-2015, 12:03 AM

4 posts, read 2,292 times
Good learning card games are fun and educational. I think they are even better than iPad and video games in many ways: learningtoytips.com/multiplication-and-division-flash-cards-cool-math-games/

Old 07-04-2015, 05:34 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,626 times
An gameboy advance micro loaded with games might keep the kiddies entertained.

Old 07-04-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
An gameboy advance micro loaded with games might keep the kiddies entertained.
Until the battery runs out and there us no power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting