Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:51 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about cartoons like Finding Nemo, Aladdin, Little mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, etc.

What are your thoughts on letting young children (2-4 year olds) watch these and like these cartoons?

I remember we used to watch what i now see as hilarious, yet violent, Tom and Jerry cartoons when we were kids, and we turned out ok.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:02 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
I waited until my daughter was older to watch them, but what does younger brother do as he's in the house too? So he started watching these movies at 3 & 4 and he loves most of them more than her. He's 4 1/2 and she's 7 1/2. He absolutely loves the original Sleeping Beauty and the original Cinderella.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I waited until my daughter was older to watch them, but what does younger brother do as he's in the house too? So he started watching these movies at 3 & 4 and he loves most of them more than her. He's 4 1/2 and she's 7 1/2. He absolutely loves the original Sleeping Beauty and the original Cinderella.
So, these cartoons/movies are inappropriate for 2-3 year olds in your opinion?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:09 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
I, personally, thought so which is why I waited. My husband put Looney Tunes are the DVR and he likes it, my daughter doesn't. His Swim lessons place plays Tom & Jerry all the time, and I don't care for it because of all the blood and violence, but the kids in there are always staring at the screen like they can't miss a second, and they're all ages.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:13 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I'm talking about cartoons like Finding Nemo, Aladdin, Little mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, etc.

What are your thoughts on letting young children (2-4 year olds) watch these and like these cartoons?

I remember we used to watch what i now see as hilarious, yet violent, Tom and Jerry cartoons when we were kids, and we turned out ok.

thoughts?
This movies are nothing like Tom and Jerry. Why do you think they are not okay?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
This movies are nothing like Tom and Jerry. Why do you think they are not okay?
when/where did i say that i think that?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
when/where did i say that i think that?
Then why would you be asking if you think they are fine? What is your concern? Finding Nemo is not T&J.....some individual children might be upset that Nemo is lost....but most kids have no problem.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Then why would you be asking if you think they are fine? What is your concern? Finding Nemo is not T&J.....some individual children might be upset that Nemo is lost....but most kids have no problem.
Because i want to know what other parents think, as that may open my point of view, regardless of which direction i'm leaning towards.

Why is it that no matter what you ask on City-data, someone finds a way to tare it apart and pick a fight?

ever heard of a 'conversation'? You know....listening to what others think and how they view things? even if it conflicts with one's own views and ideas? That's how one learns, and that's what i was trying to do here.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Because i want to know what other parents think, as that may open my point of view, regardless of which direction i'm leaning towards.

Why is it that no matter what you ask on City-data, someone finds a way to tare it apart and pick a fight?

ever heard of a 'conversation'? You know....listening to what others think and how they view things? even if it conflicts with one's own views and ideas? That's how one learns, and that's what i was trying to do here.
Because most questions are loaded and really gambits to bolster ones preconceived notion.

Why not just come out with the actual issue than dancing around things? No two families or children are the same....without knowing why someone is asking...it's impossible to say if a Disney movie is going to be a fit for that child to watch. A child with separation anxiety might really freak out over Nemo while another thinks it's a fun happy ending movie.

That doesn't make the movie appropriate or not.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:04 PM

206 posts, read 382,518 times
We tried Finding Nemo at age 3.5 or 4, and it was too soon for our twins. They were terrified of the opening sequence, and when we got to the shark we gave up. Then we traumatized them again with the Lion King musical when they were almost five.

We didn't try Disney again for another couple of years, and only watched them when little brother was asleep or elsewhere until he hit five or six. As a result they are all pretty woefully ignorant of a lot of Disney movies that their friends grew up with, so I know not everyone has this experience.

In the meantime, some videos they loved that I could stand to watch, too: Scooby Doo (especially the older ones--the more recent ones are less fun and more likely to be offensive); Animaniacs; Curious George.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting