Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 10:19 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times

Advertisements

I don't think I'd pay their bills, but I am sure I would keep them on my health insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 12:13 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It doesn't matter what you believe. The insurance company decides what is health care. Trust me, you will never ever ever know.
Doesn't ObamaCare mandate BC through insurance?

Old 07-13-2015, 04:59 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Doesn't ObamaCare mandate BC through insurance?
The OsamaCare mandates dictate what employers must supply to employees. Those directives do not apply to what family members will supply to one another. IOW, the 4th Amendment may protect my child from having her car searched by police without a warrant, but that doesn't stop me from searching her room in my house at anytime I feel like it if I suspect she's keeping pot there.

My house, or if I'm paying for it in any way, my rules. Period. No discussion, no debate.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:08 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
OP, I also agree it doesn't really make a difference. If she's splitting an apartment with another girl vs a boyfriend, they're still living off campus, "playing house" as others seem to like to say.

When I went away to school for a year, I remember a girl who lived in the dorm room next to me. Her parents wanted her in a dorm room and they paid for it. For the entire year, she never spent a single night there. Her roommate hardly saw her---only saw her when she was going in and out, maybe picking up something she wanted that she kept stored in her room. All the meanwhile, she spent every night with her boyfriend. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Frankly, if I had a kid going to college, the only reason I wouldn't want to pay for them to live with a significant other is the fact that there is a good chance they will inevitably break up. If this happened in the middle of the year, who is going to move out? How easy will it be to find a new place? Who will be left paying on this place if one moves out? Of course, there are plenty of horror stories with roommates as well, so truth be told you never know.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:00 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
How would you even enforce this? If she had coverage for BC she would just use it. You would never even know.

You are entitled to run your family any way you like. I think it's hopelessly outdated and throws up walls between you and your children (we are talking about adult here not young teens). However, I don't dispute that you can do whatever makes you feel good. If it makes you feel good to pretend that you aren't contributing to your adult's sex life that's fine. It's ridiculous, but fine.
I'm not going to get into the morality/practicality of parents paying for birth control. But one thing you said struck a chord:

"we are talking about adults here, not young teens"

Umm . . . no -- they are not adults. They may be adults in the eyes of the law at the age of 18 (or 21, in some cases), but an ADULT is fully responsible for their living and their life. Someone who is dependent on someone else for the very food that they eat, the clothes that they wear, the automobile that they drive, the insurance for the health care and the education that they are receiving does NOT get to pick and choose what parts of being an adult they get to enjoy and what parts they get a bye on.

This kind of mentality is what is contributing to a nanny-style government -- kids who grow up knowing that someone else is always going to be taking care of them, so they don't learn the satisfaction of being an independent and fully-functioning adult who can made decisions about their life without permission from anyone -- be it Mommy and Daddy, or the government.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:56 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
OP, I also agree it doesn't really make a difference. If she's splitting an apartment with another girl vs a boyfriend, they're still living off campus, "playing house" as others seem to like to say.

When I went away to school for a year, I remember a girl who lived in the dorm room next to me. Her parents wanted her in a dorm room and they paid for it. For the entire year, she never spent a single night there. Her roommate hardly saw her---only saw her when she was going in and out, maybe picking up something she wanted that she kept stored in her room. All the meanwhile, she spent every night with her boyfriend. Where there is a will, there is a way.

Frankly, if I had a kid going to college, the only reason I wouldn't want to pay for them to live with a significant other is the fact that there is a good chance they will inevitably break up. If this happened in the middle of the year, who is going to move out? How easy will it be to find a new place? Who will be left paying on this place if one moves out? Of course, there are plenty of horror stories with roommates as well, so truth be told you never know.
If my daughter wanted to live with her BF in college, I would discourage it for the reason bolded above. But other than that, if I were willing and able to pay for rent for an apartment with a friend, I'd be willing to pay for it if she were living with a BF.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:40 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Cute. I did that too.

Quote:
there is a good chance they will inevitably break up. If this happened in the middle of the year, who is going to move out? How easy will it be to find a new place? Who will be left paying on this place if one moves out?
If there is a good chance of something, it isn't inevitable.

Llfe has risks.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:42 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,013 times
Lots of control freak parents here.

Old 07-16-2015, 05:57 AM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I'm not going to get into the morality/practicality of parents paying for birth control. But one thing you said struck a chord:

"we are talking about adults here, not young teens"

Umm . . . no -- they are not adults. They may be adults in the eyes of the law at the age of 18 (or 21, in some cases), but an ADULT is fully responsible for their living and their life. Someone who is dependent on someone else for the very food that they eat, the clothes that they wear, the automobile that they drive, the insurance for the health care and the education that they are receiving does NOT get to pick and choose what parts of being an adult they get to enjoy and what parts they get a bye on.

This kind of mentality is what is contributing to a nanny-style government -- kids who grow up knowing that someone else is always going to be taking care of them, so they don't learn the satisfaction of being an independent and fully-functioning adult who can made decisions about their life without permission from anyone -- be it Mommy and Daddy, or the government.
Most 4 year college , people cannot afford that on minium wage and you need your parents' info for federal loans. If you say no, you alienate your children and make worst than has been.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:29 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Most 4 year college , people cannot afford that on minium wage and you need your parents' info for federal loans. If you say no, you alienate your children and make worst than has been.
Then the onus is on the child to behave in such a way that the parents remain agreeable to providing for their needs rather than demand that the parents provide for their wants as well. What's wrong with the having the one who writes the check decide what the terms will be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting