Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 09:07 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

I asked a friend about her and he went off on how the treatment of what she did lays a big double standard. Why does Ray Rice get nailed for domestic violence and this woman doesn't. I asked him if he would allow his daughter to wear her Jersey and he said absolutely not. This friend is a fan. He watches the games. I figure this is the guy to ask about this.

He did add that he would love to get into Alex Morgan's Jersey. Not sure what he was talking about. LOL. (Ok so he is single.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 09:14 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,483,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I asked a friend about her and he went off on how the treatment of what she did lays a big double standard. Why does Ray Rice get nailed for domestic violence and this woman doesn't. I asked him if he would allow his daughter to wear her Jersey and he said absolutely not. This friend is a fan. He watches the games. I figure this is the guy to ask about this.

He did add that he would love to get into Alex Morgan's Jersey. Not sure what he was talking about. LOL. (Ok so he is single.)
Ask him what he means by double standard? Is he angry that the NFL did not suspend Hope Solo?

As far as I know these are two totally separate entities and the NFL did not want to deal with it at first but as a billion plus dollar organization who has targeted a female fan market as a growth segment they decided to take a stand.

Also I would like to say that there is actually video of the Ray Rice incident. Ask your friend to compare the video of what Hope did with what Ray did and let us know what he thinks.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:32 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:

You asked the wrong friend.

I admit, I was not aware her dismissed court case was appealed. Nevertheless, she has not been found guilty of anything and deserves her day in court.

On the other hand, she is a two time gold medalist in the Olympics, and participates in numerous charitable causes.

If my hypothetical daughter wanted her jersey, I see no reason to say no, based on allegations. I don't even see why that can of worms would need to be opened with a pre-teen. A teen is likely aware of the charges she is facing, and can make up their own mind.

It's good to know should that hypothetical daughter want her jersey, I'd likely find it for a bargain on the clearance rack, because the vast majority here have already found her guilty.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:00 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
I'd make sure she read about what Solo did, and she'd have to buy it with her own money. Either of those would most likely quash her wish to have one--hypothetically, anyway, as we are not a sports family.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:19 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
When I saw the caption for this thread I thought we were going to be learning about a new clothing brand called Hope Solo. I had no idea that this was a person. Don't know anything about her, she is not on my radar or any of my kids radar. I had no idea that the US Women's Soccer team had won the world cup. I don't know anyone that follows Women's soccer. I only know about a half dozen guys that follow Men's Soccer.
Same here, but the Hope Solo incident was in the news awhile back.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:56 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So sad.
Free passes to any creep bc they are good with a ball.
Or violin.
Or whatever.
No wonder kids look up to Kardashians instead of scientists, philanthropists, etc.

I encourage you to pick up a few biographies of your beloved scientists and philanthropists. Trust me, no one is perfect and most powerful people have skeletons in their closets. ETA: I, too, would rather my children look up to anyone but the Kardashians but its disingenuous to believe any group of people are without their issues.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:19 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Because she's anModerator cut: delete excellent soccer player?

As I said in my other post, you could find dirt on many people who excel in their fields. It doesn't take away from their professional talents.
That's pretty much how I feel as well. My daughter isn't really old enough to be privy to these kinds of details, but she wants to be as good a goalie as Hope Solo. When she's older, she can decide for herself if Hope Solo is someone she can continue to root for.

An aside, Hope Solo is a just a bit older than me, but I've known of Hope Solo since HS (so now a little over 17 years). There's always some drama with her. Now that she's married to an athlete who's equally crazily talented but much much more troubled than she is (he makes her look pristine). I'm surprised they haven't had as much public discourse.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:16 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You asked the wrong friend.

I admit, I was not aware her dismissed court case was appealed. Nevertheless, she has not been found guilty of anything and deserves her day in court.

On the other hand, she is a two time gold medalist in the Olympics, and participates in numerous charitable causes.

If my hypothetical daughter wanted her jersey, I see no reason to say no, based on allegations. I don't even see why that can of worms would need to be opened with a pre-teen. A teen is likely aware of the charges she is facing, and can make up their own mind.

It's good to know should that hypothetical daughter want her jersey, I'd likely find it for a bargain on the clearance rack, because the vast majority here have already found her guilty.
Detailed look at Hope Solo's domestic violence case includes reports of her being belligerent in jail
"Solo's case in Kirkland Municipal Court was dismissed by Judge Michael Lambo on procedural grounds, and prosecutors, in a rare move that required city administrator approval, have filed an appeal with the Superior Court of Washington. Prosecutors are scheduled to file their argument by July 13, with the defense due to respond by Aug. 10. Oral arguments are scheduled for Sept. 11"

I have been reading up on the case and I don't see her as any kind of role model that kids should aspire to be like.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

If your daughter (or son) wanted a Hope Solo jersey, would you let her wear one? If yes, would you let your kid wear a Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, or Ray Lewis Jersey?
Tom Brady received a four game suspension for cheating.

Would you let your child wear a Tom Brady jersey?

Old 07-07-2015, 01:18 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,234,112 times
Yes. I don't care about off the field antics/behavior. If you are wearing a jersey the only thing it means is you are a fan of the way they play. Athletes do not have to be role models. Great players can be huge jerks/criminals/whatever. That's why sports don't have a hall of sportsmanship or hall of personality, only hall of fames.

Last edited by Me007gold; 07-07-2015 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting