Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 09:16 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,897 times

Advertisements

My brothers have handled guns in Boy scouts.I will never pick up any firearms. My parents would not never allow under their roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 09:57 PM

2,185 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Could this be a clue that he was too young?!

I'm not even gonna say anything else because it is clear you're bragging on your son (actually YOU) to see if anyone can BEST you. Let's see if anyone gave their kid a firearm at the age of 4, shall we?
He said it was a BB gun. And what's wrong with giving a kid a BB gun ? Geez.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I was in Boy Scout camp at age 11. I previously shot a rubber-band gun before then though.

Old 07-11-2015, 11:10 PM

676 posts, read 725,996 times
wow this thread sure did pick up steam. first I was not trying to brag to see who could best me.Its a simple fact of what age he started shooting. Most of my family has been around and have used guns since the same age as my son. It is interesting to see how people from differat parts do things such as teaching kids about gun.

To be honest, finding squirrels where I hunt is hard to come by. they arent plentyfull and unafraid of humans like they are in the suburbs (also where I grew up). So the ones we do aquire are special and taste great. There is somthing great about getting in some father, son time out in the woods or on the water.Its not just teaching my son to shoot, it is passing on a tradition.

I am fully aware of the maturity level of my son and when he started to learn to shoot his customised bb gun he was ready. Even at his age now there is not a second he is handling a firearm without direct supervision. However I am confidant he would have no problem safely shooting alone.

As far as him finding a gun at a friends, it is a possibility. I am not able to hover over him while he is visiting a friends so its better for him to know exactly what to do in this sort of situation. He does know to go to an adult if he finds a gun, or a friend has one. He also knows not to touch guns if I or another trusted family member is not present.

I started with a bb gun and quickly moved onto a daisy 22 bolt action. When I was around 11 I got my first 12 gage pump. We used to go skeet shooting alot and had property on the west side of the state we could shoot at. me and my dad go hunting every year since I was legally old enough and it has been some of the best times. Its only natural for fathers to wanna pass on knowledge about the things they enjoy.

To me, my son learning to use firearms safely is no differant than me teaching him how to change oil, jack up a car, help change breaks and know what order lug nuts go back on and to always use a jack stand. It is safer that he learns this from me and makes his life a lil better, just like learning about guns. Obviously I dont expect everyone to agree but that is what makes forums good. You get a chance to see how others think.

Last edited by mo8414; 07-11-2015 at 11:19 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 06:20 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
NEVER! OMG! To think someone asked this question is preposterous! GUNS are for wars not civilians!

Old 07-12-2015, 06:56 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,608,562 times
Just last year I discovered someone I thought was perfectly normal has guns in their house. You cannot trust that your kid won't encounter one at a playdate, even if you ask the parents. For example, I wouldn't think to ask if our whole family was going over for dinner, but they could easily be off upstairs where the guns are and we're in the dining room clueless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Leave immediately, come home, and tell us.
I've told my kids they can pretend to be sick, or about to vomit, or have a blood nose, or run to the toilet, or want o grab a camera, or anything so long as they get out if that room and run to an adult. We role play it, every year or so. I figure that the bystander effect might kick in, or they might want to look nonchalant around some cool kid or something. Hopefully I've impressed them with the sheer terror a gun should induce, and given them creative ideas for ways to just get out that don't involve standing up to anyone or being embarrassed or anything will keep them alive if that sort of situation ever arises.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:59 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Our nephew got a bear tag this year..........he is ten.

So,.........all of our friends that hunt have been teaching him gun safety.

We would love to see him get a bear.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:00 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
NEVER! OMG! To think someone asked this question is preposterous! GUNS are for wars not civilians!
And hunting for food.

The wildlife population needs control.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
In many parts of the country, guns are also for hunting and for protecting livestock. As I mentioned upthread, I have never fired a weapon or owned one. I do have relatives (including one of my adult children) who live in such an area. I do not have an issue with that as long as responsible safety measures are taken.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-12-2015 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 07-12-2015, 08:33 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
And for personal protection (for both people and livestock). And law enforcement. And hunting. And target shooting.

Freedom of choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting