Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 04:14 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,703,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Absolutely. My brothers went to dancing school and have beautiful manners. I got a thank you note from one of them the other day. There is no sexism involved, they went through the exact same thing my sister and I did.

Thank you.

I agree. That is a really rude thing to say. Every southerner knows "Bless Your Heart" means Go F%^$ Yourself.
Take it as you want....manners can be a two edged sword....they sometimes have nothing to do with being nice. This is a case in point.

Having manners is not sexist and are very good skills for either gender to have a working knowedge of (why else would I put my daughter though Cotillion if I didn't see the worth?) ....but making sure girls are taught to be soft and submissive and put up with bad behavior because it's 'unlady-like' to complain....then...well...I am very glad most parents don't teach their daughters to put up with it anymore or their sons to behave this way.

No way should we go back to the days when women were considered nothing more than an extention of what ever male had power over her....all for the sake of outdated...and fake...civility.

I'll take a polite child/young adult over a 'lady-like' one any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 04:16 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,524 times
I don't necessarily agree with your mother's definition of a "lady" so no, I'm not raising my daughter like that. Is she confident, kind, compassionate, humble, and goes about life with a servant's heart? I hope one day, she's only 7

Old 07-12-2015, 04:23 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I was raised with this kind of philosophy, and tried to instill it in my daughter. She was a product of her environment, and so rejected some things. She was smart to do this.
She was raised in the 70s. The first thing that I remember her being adamant about was not desiring to be a cheerleader. I hoped that she might, since she wasn't interested in playing sports, but she recognized that flopping around being cute was not her cup of tea either. Then, when she got married in 1993, she was adamant that she was not going to be addressed as Mrs. Todd Whatever, but by her own name.
In the big picture, my daughter knows how to behave in social situations, and so does her daughter, despite the fact that some old fashioned social conventions have gone by the wayside.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:43 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post

Having manners is not sexist and are very good skills for either gender to have a working knowedge of (why else would I put my daughter though Cotillion if I didn't see the worth?) ....but making sure girls are taught to be soft and submissive and put up with bad behavior because it's 'unlady-like' to complain....then...well...I am very glad most parents don't teach their daughters to put up with it anymore or their sons to behave this way.

No way should we go back to the days when women were considered nothing more than an extention of what ever male had power over her....all for the sake of outdated...and fake...civility.

I'll take a polite child/young adult over a 'lady-like' one any day of the week.
I don't know where you get manners = soft submissive but it is a screwed up analogy.

No where, in any one of the role models I've had in my life did anyone teach or display being submissive or to put up with bad behavior. If anything I was taught to get out of bad situations in a hurry.

That's pretty ****ed up.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:52 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Agreed but in all fairness, that is not what the OP said. Even when she came back to clarify, she specifically only mentioned how girls should be raised.

She easily could have posted asking whether parents were raising their children with manners. Or even whether parents we're raising young ladies and gentlemen. She did not.

This is not only about manners.
Exactly. She asked if you were raising your daughters to me ladies, not children to be polite. And then she went on to talk about what was appropriate and inappropriate for women - not people in general, just women - and how they need to behave for men to perceive them positively. If that's not sexism, then I don't know what is.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I don't know where you get manners = soft submissive but it is a screwed up analogy.

No where, in any one of the role models I've had in my life did anyone teach or display being submissive or to put up with bad behavior. If anything I was taught to get out of bad situations in a hurry.

That's pretty ****ed up.
Read the OPs posts....it's more important to her that a daughter be taught to speak softly then have an opinion and boys have no responsibility for their behavior.

That is ****ed up.....and that is what those that think traditional manners are so important think our children should put up with.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:57 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Why are you speaking for the OP? She's a big girl, she can speak for herself.
She's too much of a lady to stand up for herself

Old 07-12-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
She's too much of a lady to stand up for herself
Probably having a case of the vapors at all the strong opinions women have dared voice.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:43 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,974 times
Lady?
This is not the 50's.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:23 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Lady?
This is not the 50's.
'

Oh, I agree! Lady is so 50's.

I think Helen Reddy fixed that in the 70's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting