U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 796 times

Advertisements

Hello, I found this thread to be very informative and helpful. May I ask how it has been for your daughter since your last post of June 2008 (I hope I do have that correct)? I am contemplating moving. I have a 14 yr old son who wants to move and an 11 yr old daughter who does not. My children are important to me of course, but I need my happiness and the overall family happiness in order to help them be happy. It is just us three, no dad in the picture, so this is a difficult decision for me, as I am questioning myself a great deal over this! Thanks for an update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 10:51 AM

21 posts, read 51,497 times
I am in this situation now. I think its going to disturb the two teens still here with me. Oldest at college and thrilled for the move because it is from a small town with no opportunities and going to San Fracisco. I have raised my 3 kids alone for 12 years and financially have to make this move. I realize I have to leave my other 2 remaining kids with their Father whom they barely know. I hope it will forge a better relationship with him and his wife and 2 kids. I try not to judge myself for this decision nor him for our poor relationship with each other. My kids are stressed to live with him but I think they will adapt. I feel guilty but I have put myself at a financial disadvantage by staying here and I must make this move. It is tough knowing my son the youngest will graduate HS in 3 years -so close yet when you are in a bad financial situation with limited time to start over - you have to go for it. I was on this site searching for answers and to see if anyone else had experienced anything close to this situation. There are numerous reasons for the move at this time - but it is not for a relationship. It is something about myself, my soul needs this move. I am so stressed from raising the kids and the financial hardship I am like a sinking ship. I am so torn because I am so close to my kids and they think of their dad is like visiting a distant family member. I do not have ties in this community, nor family nearby. all 4 of my siblings left the area a long time ago for the same reason I am leaving now. My 17 yr old could get her GED and relocate with me, take a year to familiarize herself and not have to start over at new HS. again my son 15 has 3 more years and I see him as being able to adapt to living with father - tho not happy about it. I havent even told him yet. I am trying to work with the mortgage co. so I dont have to go into bankruptcy or foreclosure. I may end up having a Short sale but again it would take to o long to get into all this. I have tried my hand at numerous jobs around here but they do not pay enough for my bills and house etc. At 52 I am now frightened for my future and think I must start over now or I could really be out on the street in 3 years. When all said and done my kids would be young and beginning new lives and I would be almost 56 and broke, I want to say dead broke...Thanks for any responses. P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting