Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:33 PM

7,728 posts, read 6,409,840 times

Advertisements

You do realise "Nova Scotia" is a Canadian province right? Might as well name him Apollo New Hampshire. Apollo is a cool name, Nova Scotia though, is not. Not as a personal name at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 06:10 PM

367 posts, read 456,448 times
Interesting that you said this earlier...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post

Save the creative, unusual names for your pets...
.. implying you think the name is better for a dog/cat, yet I am evil for admitting I chuckled over the name. But anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
And now we know what happens to school bullies - they become parents who justify bullying is acceptable because - after all - those who are bullied have something about them that led to the bullying. What a sick and twisted view to pass on to your own children. Joining your child in the ridicule of a child's name?

Somehow your claim that you matured late in high school rings false. You are still a "mean girl", just an older one.
So you think victims are randomly chosen? Not the case. Something about them leads to it, whether in this case it's a dumb name; or one's appearance, one's choice of clothes, etc. Does my saying this mean I find it acceptable? Contrary to what you and many others think, no, this doesn't mean I find it acceptable. It means I am aware of its causes and believe the only way we are ever going to stop bullying is to have an awareness of these factors. Some things can't be controlled by the targets, for example a form of any disability. If any of my kids ever picked on such a person, I am figuratively breaking out the whip and disciplining in a hard manner. This is what I mean by picking my spots.

In the case of the OP, any bullying by name can be avoided by not giving Apollo the middle name of a Canadian Province. I am not going to treat picking on this name in the same manner then I would crack down on a more severe case.

If you want to disagree, then fine. You're not the first person to tell me I am still a mean girl when I talk about this. I don't want to create too much of a threadjack here though, so I am done in this thread, but if people want to talk about bullying more, I'll answer in a new thread.

Last edited by Jessica2099; 07-19-2015 at 06:49 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 06:59 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,893,197 times
It's fine for a cartoon character.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:26 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,140,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I think you need to stay on your meds a bit longer. Or put down the bong.

Think of the teasing such a name would bring.

Name him something normal, like James, or Robert, or Thomas, or Michael.
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
OP:

I don't have children.
BUT: a "different name" from the common Johns and James and Roberts and Davids is a great idea..for a first name.

I wouldn't saddle the kid with Nova Scotia,,as maybe NOT exactly in your neck of the woods, but my mind {as a USA citizen} went straight to Nova Scotia Canada.

I also wondered WHY you'd want to name his middle name "Nova scotia" anyway?

They say, go to the door, open it and holler out the name you choose for a child, as when they are out playing {if they do that anymore} you will shout them home by that name. IF i sounds bad, DON'T name the child that!

Why not "Apollo" and then a historical surname form your Scottish ancestry? My middle mane is one named after my grandfather...Like "Apollo Evan "x"?? OR "Apollo Fergusson X"??? {both names found on the list here:
Celtic Male Names of Scotland

Also, My mother was going to name her first born son "X" but she married a man with last name "Y",and then realized the name i WOULD have had is on one of the paper money bills we have here, and she decided NOT to name me "X Y" to avoid THAT issue visited upon me!

So, think carefully...remember THEY have to live with it all their life, NOT YOU!

Hope he is healthy and happy child!
The old-school names of James, John, Robert, or David are not as popular as they used to be. They are still being used, though.

Just as girls aren't being named Linda or Susan or Nancy.

These are the 15 most popular baby names for boys, according to Social Security Administration:

1. Noah
2. Liam
3. Mason
4. Jacob
5. William
6. Ethan
7. Michael
8. Alexander
9. James
10. Daniel
11. Elijah
12. Benjamin
13. Logan
14. Aiden
15. Jayden

Baby Names for Boys | Top 100 Boy Names & Meanings of 2015

Old 07-19-2015, 10:01 PM

853 posts, read 4,027,593 times
I kind of like Apollo, but I don't think you can shorten it, and as someone mentioned, kids may call him "Ape" (although I think kids can find something to do with almost any name).

However, his name will effect him, and I think the resume test and calling him for dinner test will help (not that kids play outside alone that much anymore these days ).

If you do go with Apollo, I would go with a very basic middle name (someone said Apollo Scott, sounds pretty good to me), and definitely not Nova Scotia (unless you are a famous actor).

Old 07-20-2015, 12:11 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,593,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysuxx View Post
I think as a first name Apollo is really cool, i like what it means and as an avid fan of outer space I like its relation to the Apollo Program. For a middle name I though Nova Scotia sounded cool, it's Latin for New Scotland and I'm from New Zealand but have Scottish ancestors so that's kind of a node to that heratiger but more than that I think it just sounds cool, do you think it's too much or okay? Also since Apollo is 3 syllables I was thinking it would probably end up being abbreviated, any ideas as for what to abbreviate Apollo to? Thanks
With a name like Apollo Nova Scotia I am thinking your boy is destined for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame! Do It!

Old 07-20-2015, 12:20 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,113,068 times
Sounds like a stripper name.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:18 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,896,458 times
Apollo is an unusual choice. It's in the top 1000 for US boys names, though, so not completely out of left field.

Nova Scotia is a Canadian Province, which means it counts as a goofy name. Nova and Scotia are both feminine-sounding and have been used as girls names.

Search Results | Nameberry.com

Old 07-20-2015, 06:43 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,103,797 times
Spend 2 weeks using that name yourself, use it when you give your name at a restaurant, making appointments for car repairs, etc. See how much you like it after 2 weeks, then decide it if is a good name or not.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:48 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,375,282 times
I suppose it's fine if the child is going to be of mixed Greek/Scottish descent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting