Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 02:53 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,298 times

Advertisements

We need to move into a bigger house as we dont have the room for 2 adults and 4 kids. but i was trying to hold off because we were trying to relocate back east. the problem is i havent found a job yet. Do i look for a bigger place while im in minnesota? my fear is that i get a call from a job and im stuck with a year lease. Also the kids would have to switch schools. i want to move to minneaoplis because its more diverse and walkable compared to the suburbs. I dont want the kids to go to a new school now then i get a job back east and have to change schools again. thats 2 moves in one year. Am i thinking too much about the kids adjusting?(9 and 12). i just like stability. i dont want to stay in minnesota though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 03:21 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
If you really want to move East, then stay put for now.

Moving to Minneapolis would require, deposit, maybe first, last's month's rent, cost of moving,etc. Then spend it all again if you found an Eastern job. Just throwing money away. Put that money aside as savings. You could use these savings if you had to go East for an interview.

If you're serious about moving East, determine exactly where you want to live. Then find the nearest UPS store to that location. Rent a postal box from them. Their postal boxes have a physical address so potential employers might believe you're local. It could make it easier to get job interviews. Good luck

Old 07-20-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
If you really want to move East, then stay put for now.

Moving to Minneapolis would require, deposit, maybe first, last's month's rent, cost of moving,etc. Then spend it all again if you found an Eastern job. Just throwing money away. Put that money aside as savings. You could use these savings if you had to go East for an interview.

If you're serious about moving East, determine exactly where you want to live. Then find the nearest UPS store to that location. Rent a postal box from them. Their postal boxes have a physical address so potential employers might believe you're local. It could make it easier to get job interviews. Good luck
thats exactly how i feel. but we have to move. It's no room here. thats the last thing i wanna do is pay 2 deposits. but i cant sit around while getting rejected by jobs while kids are getting bigger and the house size is the same.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:29 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
So there are two kids (9 and 12 as you mentioned), you & spouse.
How many sq ft is your house? How many bedrooms?
Surely you can hang in there until you secure a job!

Old 07-20-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So there are two kids (9 and 12 as you mentioned), you & spouse.
How many sq ft is your house? How many bedrooms?
Surely you can hang in there until you secure a job!
4 kids. the other 2 are 3 and 1. its a condo so not sure of the sq feet. ive been trying to hang in there but we need to move. See we had this place when it was just me, her and the stepkids. then we had 2 and now its time to move.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:21 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Gotcha!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:42 AM

90 posts, read 104,703 times
Kids can adapt. You don't NEED a bigger place. It's just more comfortable. It's possible to live in a 500 sqft house with that many people, it's just really really uncomfortable. I would save the money and wait, get a bigger place when you go east.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:55 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
Short term pain for long term gain.

I'd stay put in the cozy condo and redouble efforts to find suitable employment back east, if that is where you truly want to be.

How much time do you really spend inside the house, anyway? I assume at least one of the adults is working full time, and two of the four kids are in school.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:41 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
Short term pain for long term gain.

I'd stay put in the cozy condo and redouble efforts to find suitable employment back east, if that is where you truly want to be.

How much time do you really spend inside the house, anyway? I assume at least one of the adults is working full time, and two of the four kids are in school.
I'd stay put too. With the youngest being the ages they are, their STUFF can fill a lot of space. But as a mom of four whose kids now range in age from 17-10...we aren't home very much. Hang in there OP.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:00 AM

yea but i could be waiting forever for jobs to call? i feel you guys on staying put cause its just wasting money if eventually is gonna bring me back east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting