Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 09:41 AM

152 posts, read 174,165 times

Advertisements

All,

It's summer as we know and my kids have two invites coming up. The first being a pool party and the second one the mom has planned a playdate at the beach. My kids can't swim, and of course at both of these events I will not be there. I try not to worry too much but all it takes is the mother at the pool party to turn her head or the other mother not paying attention and they drown. I find it hard putting the lives of my children in other people's hand, I know I may be overly dramatic but it makes me so uneasy. I didn't plan on staying at either of these events because the pool party is a birthday party where you drop your kids off at their house and the second is just a playdate where this other mother is going to take the children off. Of course my husband rolls his eyes at me, but stuff happens. You always think it won't happen to you, don't live your life in fear, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 09:46 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
How old are your kids, and why can't you go?

I might be ok with the pool party if the hosts have a designated person watching at all times, but the beach? No.
And swim lessons are very important, I suggest you look into them.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:00 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Not every kid has to go to every birthday party they get an invite for. If you're that worried, say they can't go.

Another option is to get life jackets and make sure the kids know to leave them on and make sure the adults know that they must leave them on at all times.

And even though people are dropping their kids off, it doesn't mean you have to leave. Ask if she minds you hanging out and helping in any way they can. Many parents can't handle watching so many kids at once, and they don't want to ask for help. She might appreciate it.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:02 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
I find it hard putting the lives of my children in other people's hand, I know I may be overly dramatic but it makes me so uneasy.
Have you thought about getting them life vests? That would allow them to splash around and play with their friends. As a kid I was not a strong swimmer (I was small and sunk like a rock), so I LIKED having that security.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:03 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
I think it's a legitimate concern on your part.

I second the recommendation for swimming lessons even though it's too late for these particular outings.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:03 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Have you thought about getting them life vests?

Also, have you thought about having them learn how to swim as well as the life vests?

Old 07-23-2015, 10:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Also, have you thought about having them learn how to swim as well as the life vests?
Agree. I'm a big believer in teaching kids to swim and learn water safety.Which should be taught to every kid, swimmer or not.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:24 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
I would not have let my daughter go to either party if she couldn't swim and I couldn't be there.

As others have said, you need to have them learn how to swim. It's a safety issue, like wearing a seat belt.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:33 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
My older child also cannot swim (yet, she's in lessons) and gets invited to pool parties. I (or dad) goes with to watch her. We bring the life vest if she wants to do anything that needs a life vest (like jump off the diving board). If one of us could not go to the party to supervise, then our child would not go. It's not fair to ask the party hosting mom to try and play lifeguard for your non-swimmer, that's unreasonable in my book. You need to go and take responsibility for your child's safety yourself.

For the playdate at the beach, have you asked the other mom if they are okay with watching your child like a hawk because they can't swim? If they were not aware that was involved, then you should go along with the playdate. And of course, bring that life vest.

I can't figure out why you weren't planning on attending these events? Is it some sort of taboo where you live to practice water safety? Where I live, all the parents are at all the pool parties. Even the ones who have kids on swim team.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:42 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
How old are your kids??

It IS a serious concern, especially the pool party. IF we did go to those, I ALWAYS stayed. It's my job to watch my kids in that situation, and I would never have counted on a distracted host to look out for them.

The beach party, I probably would not let them attend if they could not swim.

But job #1 should be swim lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting