Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 07:49 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,635,636 times

Advertisements

Please get your information from those in med profession. No beer! Nurses will help you during your stay and your pediatrician will be able to help. Sometimes its a slow start when babies have a time of it attaching. They worked with me in the hospital by placeing a rubber nipple to me and letting baby get used to that. Your actual breast milk will not come fully in until maybe the second third day. From then on baby will feed when hungry. Theres also a group called Lamaze for breast feeding instruction. Its a great experience and wondertime for bonding. You will do just fine and best wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 08:05 AM

1,192 posts, read 1,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
A can if Guinness???? Maybe to relax you.

Just make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Staying hydrated helps milk production.
Ya, I also will make sure I drink plenty of water. with my first C section, I was severely constipated. On top of that, being a first time mom, I didnt really take care to eat/ drink properly. This time it will be different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Drink enough water and eat right and pump each side for 10 minutes after your baby nurses.

The rest of your "suggestions" will only give your baby an upset stomach. It is ill advised to drink alcohol while nursing.
You know i also read that we have to pump after the baby nurses. I tried but could not do it with my first one. For one, it used to take me almost 5-8 minutes to even burp the baby. Then she used to pee/poo and wants to be changed. And then she wants to nap. By the time she actually does nap, its usually 20 minutes after. So pumping right after feeding the baby may or maynot work even this time but I will try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Fenugreek, and lots of it. Don't read the label where it says 1-2 daily. At some points, I was taking 5-6 pills each time I nursed so I could make more. It's all natural, so it can't hurt you. Start with 1-2 each time you nurse and then add more. For my second kid, I started the fenugreek while still in the hospital.
I was actually intending to go to Indian grocery store and buy the actual fenugreek seeds. I wasnt thinking of tablets. You suggest I start the tablets instead of the actual seeds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm not a doctor, but #2 sounds a bit like a wive's tale, same with #3.

Beer is proven to work, because of Hops are a galactogogue (something that increases milk production). However, PLEASE be mindful that the alcohol gets into the milk and can damage the babies liver so you have to be careful about timing. Google "Galactogogues" and you'll get a list of foods proven to increase milk. Fenugreek is one of the best and most powerful, but it is DANGEROUS during pregnancy, so wait until you give birth. There is also a tea called "mother's milk" tea that you can get at most grocery stores. It works so well for me that if I take it before bed, I wake up full and leaking before morning. If I skip the tea, I don't.

The honest BEST way to produce more milk is to nurse often, often, often, often. You can't force feed baby, but you can get a pump and pump once a day, right AFTER she feeds. That will mean she'll get all the milk she needs, and then the pump will make your body think you need to produce MORE milk. Do that for a few days, and then try it twice a day for a few days, and then maybe 3x a day. Don't start off too frequently because it can cause horrifically painful engorgement. Some women think that pumping before birth will make your milk come in faster, but it can also trigger labor, so BE CAREFUL and ask your doctor.

DRINK LOTS OF WATER. If you produce ten ounces of milk, it takes way more than ten ounces of water. You have to drink all the water you need, plus enough for milk. WATER, WATER, WATER. If you're dehydrated at all, milk will be limited as there isn't any resource to make milk. Same with protein. Make sure you eat right so you have the resources to spare to milk milk.
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. I wrote down the name 'mothers milk'. I will surely stock on this one. I have never heard of pumping before birth. But sure enough, I seem to leak just a little bit if I squeeze now. I also do have a hospital grade pump which my friend generously is letting me use. My previous pump was a big bummer. Hopefully this one will be better.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
^^This. I pumped when my daughter wasn't feeding and I found hot showers helped with engorgement but you have to be careful that the breasts don't over engorge if you're not going to pump immediately as the pain becomes quite uncomforable. That worked for me...ymmv.

OP, congratulations and I wish you a safe and speedy delivery!
Thank you. I sure hope I eventually will produce enough to reach a stage of engorgement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I just read this article a few days ago. Hopefully it will help with latching which should help with production.

Many Moms May Have Been Taught to Breastfeed Incorrectly: Surprising New Research - Mothering

You can also order or make cookies. Just Google lactation cookies.

Lastly just nurse a lot; be the baby's pacifier. Cosleeping is awesome (for many reasons) because as mentioned, night time is when you build your supply and the baby can stay attached and suckle pretty much all night.
I am going to try putting the baby in the crib. I am going to take cues from the baby and see how things go. I am not too rigid about either the crib or co-sleeping. What ever the baby is comfortable with, I plan on doing that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Nurse a lot. Don't worry about putting your baby on a schedule, just nurse her every time she cries. I used to feel like a cow sitting on the couch with my calf attached, but I had a great milk supply!

Good luck with everything.
Thank you. I will surely nurse more often this time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Contact this group. They will help you and you won't have to wait until after you deliver. They are breast feeding fanatics and will do anything they can to help you and to promote breast feeding. Don't take supplements and don't drink that beer!

LLLI | Find La Leche League Groups in the U.S.

Also, I do not recommend co-sleeping as another poster advised, but you need to make your own choice about that. Just make sure it is a well informed decision, because many infant deaths have been attributed to it. At least research it for yourself before you decide to do it. I would never.
Thanks, I dont live in US but I will surely go through the link.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
My first baby I never made enough milk and had to supplement her entire infancy.

My second baby I was able to start making enough milk after a few weeks, and was even able to pump extra and freeze some. This is how I did it.

Get a Medela Supplemental Nursing System (SNS) and bring it with you to the hospital. It's a device that has a little bottle you put formula in, but instead of a nipple, there is a long thin tube. You tape the tube right next to your nipple, and when your baby nurses, they get formula, while at the same time they are inducing your biological response to create more milk.

So when you start to nurse, this is how you do it. First, you attempt to nurse like normal, let baby get all the milk out of you that is possible. When baby starts to get very fussy from hunger and you are already empty, then put on the SNS and let baby continue to nurse while actually drinking formula to fill her little belly. Then, when baby is done, pump some more like PP said, a few times a day. Also, I wouldn't recommend nursing on a "schedule" of 10 minutes every 2 hours or whatever is "advised". With my second baby, I nursed whenever baby would latch on, and for as long as he would go. Just sit on the couch, pop baby on, turn on some Netflix, and relax (and make sure you have that water bottle sitting next to you!)

Good luck!
I do have the Medela pump but I dont think its the same model. Let me check. Some of the pumps are too expensive, dont know if I can buy it but i think I kinda understood what you were saying.
This time its going to be different than the first time! I promise myself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linerin View Post
Pump, a lot, especially in the beginning.
It can trick your body into thinking you gave birth to twins so it will supply accordingly.

Be prepared to leak everywhere
Yes, I intend to pump

Old 07-25-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

Hot showers and heating pads helped me let my milk flow, which encouraged my child to latch better.

Eating enough calories and being hydrated helped too.

Good luck!
Its summer anyway here. I will take 2 showers if needed if that will help with letting my milk flow easiliy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I've read that oatmeal helps with milk supply. I started eating it over 10 years ago when my youngest was a newborn, and though it's been more than 3 years since I nursed a baby, I'm still eating my oats every day! Good source of fiber, too.

Otherwise, I just drank a lot of water, nursed a lot, and when I wanted to increase supply (I never had a problem, but I wanted a little extra to store, for when I wasn't around) I would pump in addition to nursing.

I also found that my best nursing/pumping sessions were when I was well rested. A good night's sleep, even if it's in three different chunks, was probably the most helpful thing I could do for supply.

Good luck!
Sonderella, how much can I expect to get the first 2 days? I was so worried that the baby was starving and of course, her being underweight didnt help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Are you also pumping? I would recommend pumping after breastfeeding. Don't try to do too many laceration aids unless you know you need them. You can give yourself a clogged duct and/or mastitis by overdoing it.

-Good sleep
-Being in close proximity of baby (hormones)
-Don't worry about it or anything else for that matter (stress and anxiety)
-Oatmeal
-Fenugreek (capsules apparently work better than tea)

Thanks so much for the advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Absolutely the best advice I can give you is not to stress about it. Breast feeding is really not all that important. You will do much more harm by generating excess stress hormones worrying about a low supply, radically changing your diet, or eating an oversupply of strange herbs, than if you take a rational approach focusing on getting your baby fed as best you can.

You will get the supply you get. Do at least some pumping early on to ensure that your baby is getting enough nutrition. It is much more important to keep the right nutrients bathing baby's developing brain than it is to breastfeed exclusively.
I know what you mean about stress. i was always worried the last time. Thats why i wanted to make sure that I have enough information 'before' the baby is born so that I dont get too stressed after the baby is here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Let the baby nurse as much as possible.
No supplemental formula or water.
The milk is produced when the milk is removed from the breast.
The baby gets that satisfied "full" feeling when it nurses to empty, and gets the milk fat at the end of nursing.
Rest as much as possible- I know...

I also joined LLL. Nursed all 3 of my children past the 1 year mark.
I am going to join LLL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Number one is the only suggestion that makes sense to me. In my experience, the more you nurse the more milk you produce. 2-4 sound like old wives tales. Do you have lots of support? Social (family and friends) and medical? I loved my lactation nurses who were on call 24 hours a day while I was still in the hospital. I'm not a medical professional, but I think the doctors suggesting you supplement with formula so early in your first born's life deterred your milk production.
Thanks!

Old 07-25-2015, 12:07 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,362,675 times
I have heard that oatmeal helps with milk production too. It's healthy for you and high in iron, which does help. It can't hurt you. I do know anemic moms have trouble with milk production.

Old 07-25-2015, 01:06 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,757,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maila View Post
I was actually intending to go to Indian grocery store and buy the actual fenugreek seeds. I wasnt thinking of tablets. You suggest I start the tablets instead of the actual seeds?
I never tried just the seeds so I couldn't tell you if that would be better or not. I tried oatmeal, didn't work. I tried the Mother's Tea nasty gross stuff, it didn't work. I tried hot showers, it didn't work.

My second nursed all the time, he thought I was a milk store, and still didn't produce enough, so you should try all the suggested stuff and use what works for you. Many people produce milk very easily and don't understand the issues that others of us have, because it's not just about tricking your body into thinking the baby needs more by pumping after nursing, because I tried that too and it didn't work. Fenugreek was the only thing that worked for me.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:20 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,854,596 times
Everyone's experience is different. I've heard of Fenugreek's value but you should know it can put you into labor...read up on it. Be sure to talk with your OB doc before taking anything.

Also, if you weren't able to produce much milk before, there could an anatomical reason for this. All these remedies won't fix this issue and can make you engorged. I have seen women produce milk, get engorged, but barely able to milk 1 oz. It was their anatomy, (milk) ductal issues. So, be sure your pediatrician and OB knows of your earlier issue. Your pediatrician might want you to pump at first to see how much milk you produce. If you aren't able to remove enough milk, it doesn't matter how many times your baby is put to the breast to feed. The baby will be underfed.

The remedies you listed look like old wives tales to me. In the UK, some women drink Guinness post delivery as it has lots of iron and for only this reason.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:03 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,228,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Everyone's experience is different. I've heard of Fenugreek's value but you should know it can put you into labor...read up on it. Be sure to talk with your OB doc before taking anything.

Also, if you weren't able to produce much milk before, there could an anatomical reason for this. All these remedies won't fix this issue and can make you engorged. I have seen women produce milk, get engorged, but barely able to milk 1 oz. It was their anatomy, (milk) ductal issues. So, be sure your pediatrician and OB knows of your earlier issue. Your pediatrician might want you to pump at first to see how much milk you produce. If you aren't able to remove enough milk, it doesn't matter how many times your baby is put to the breast to feed. The baby will be underfed.

The remedies you listed look like old wives tales to me. In the UK, some women drink Guinness post delivery as it has lots of iron and for only this reason.
Pumping isn't a good indicator of supply. I couldn't even pump 10ml but I fed ok. Some women just can't pump.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:40 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,251,318 times
Skin to Skin contact. Nursing after the babies bath can help a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting