Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does a child's upbringing have anything to do with how the turnout as adults?
Yes, of course it does.... 100 97.09%
No, that's just an excuse some people use.... 3 2.91%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 11:38 PM

634 posts, read 708,663 times

Advertisements

Aside from being raised under extreme circumstances, I really don't know how much nurture plays a part in how a person turns out. I think so much of it depends on the people themselves and their inborn personalities and temperament. I look at my 10 nieces and nephews (all of whom I knew as babies and with whom remained close throughout their lives) and how they turned out and it doesn't surprise me one bit. They are the same people personality-wise. I have 3 children. It was clear from the get-go that the 1st and 3rd child heavily favored my personality and the 2nd favored my husband. The 2nd is literally a mini version of my husband. My daughter is just like me personality-wise.

I have 5 sisters and 1 brother. We all were raised by the same parents and we are all so different with different beliefs. I don't know...

My husband and I were talking the other day about our children. Our #1 goal is to just not screw them up by getting in their way too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 06:24 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Is this a joke?

Old 07-26-2015, 06:28 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,276,723 times
ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY!!

As for the post above, my parents had me young so i got to watch my teen mom and sibs being raised since we lived with them. I watched my grandparents treat X as "the smart one" Y as "the pretty one" obviously show more affection and enabling towards Z. They all turned out accordingly although the "smart one" refuses to aknowledge that she was treated differently.

The enabled one overdosed on drugs, the "pretty one" has few skills, gained much weight and is no longer conventionally pretty, the "smart one" is a CEO.

This is why being abused when young is so difficult to overcome. It literally molds your brain for the rest of your life until it stops developing in your early 20s.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:43 AM

8,041 posts, read 10,634,161 times
I don't honestly know about that. I know people who have turned out great because their parents set such a poor example that they were determined NOT to turn out like them.

I also know terrific, loving, level headed people who have problem children. Not sure what the answer is.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:49 AM

396 posts, read 512,644 times
Oh boy, the age old debate...nature vs. nurture. I suppose it can have a definite effect for some people, for others, not so much. A child can be raised the "right" way, with love and attention but still turn out to be a jerk, and a child can be brought up in the most horrible environment and rise above it to flourish. I don't think anyone really has an answer, other than everyone's temperament and resilience is different. Wish there was another choice in the poll..."Undetermined, depends on the child".

Since people aren't perfect, there is no such thing as a perfect parent. We all do what we feel is best at the time and we all make mistakes.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:01 AM

4,512 posts, read 4,044,124 times
Upbringing determines your starting point as an adult so long as you understanding as an adult only you are now responsible for who you are.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:48 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
The ol' nature versus nurture question. Old as time. At the moment, I believe conventional science has the answer at "it's about 50/50". Basically, you are born with certain predilections and potential, and then how you are raised can determine what you do with it. So upbringing is maybe half of the reason of how you turn out, and the rest is all you.
Yes, it is complicated though. I have one son who was separated for the most part from the paternal family from age 4 and I have a son who was adopted at 4 weeks old. They each had predispositions I feel are related to genetics and those are SO hard to alter, things like laziness for example and I am using that example because my family did not have the "lazy" trait.

Today, because kids are farmed out so often and the influences of schools gone haywire, nurture has taken on a whole new dimension. I know that homeschooling is becoming more popular and in that case, nurture plays a bigger part in how the kids turn out showing much more the values and traits of the family. If the kids are in school all day, go to after school programs and have a babysitter for parents night out............well, who is nurturing?

So, upbringing does play an important part in how the child turns out as an adult. I think the worst outcomes come from parents that abuse, neglect and exploit. Next would be the parents who are not preparing their children to become an adult by teaching them work ethics, morals, responsibility, etc.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:24 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Yes, of course. It's not an end all be all though. Your own personality plays a large part towards it.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:24 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
Yes it does have a huge impact. However when that child reaches adulthood, it's up to him or her to take responsibility.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:36 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Does a child's upbringing have anything to do with how they turnout as adults?
Is this a real question? Let's everyone just dump your kids out down by the river and let them raise themselves...they'll turn out fine and it'll be sooooo much easier!

People are a products of both nature and nuture...and the interaction of the two. But if you completely neglect the "nurture" you're unlikely to get an adult who doesn't have major issues. Parents have to step up and do all that they can...yes, nature will do the rest but that doesn't excuse you from YOUR part. (Also remember that you genetically are responsible for the nature part too if you're the bio parent!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting