Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 04:29 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times

Advertisements

With a Family Restroom available, he was really wrong. But I can understand not wanting to leave kids unattended. If I were him I would have waited for you to clear the restroom, station the girls at the door where I could see them and incoming men could see them and wait a minute. There's ways to handle things but, after all, he's a dad. Moms are better at figuring things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 04:39 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
How did other women in the bathroom react to this? Isn't that a bit old?

As for the OP, as a male, it's awkward but nothing to get upset about. If it were in the women's room I would see an issue. I don't know any men who care that much about their bathroom privacy.
He looks very young for his age, which impacted my decision to allow him to up until he was ready to stop. If he looked older for his age (which really is about height at this phase) I would have worked with him to use the men's sooner. Its funny now, he isn't quite 10 and he wouldn't step foot in a ladies room if you paid him.

I do see kids who look too old to be in the ladies from time to time and its a little uncomfortable...but I assume they have a special need or look old for their age.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:41 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
This is a very touchy subject. I am a father of three: boy, girl, boy. Their ages are ten, eight, and six, respectively. I enjoy taking my children out without my wife. The benefit is mutual. If we go to a place with a family washroom; I'll allow the boys to go first, then my daughter. And all three can wait outside for me. If we go to a place with an airport sized washroom, The Georgia Aquarium, for example. All four of us are going in! No way would I allow my daughter to go in by herself. I've heard that the lines are quite long in lady washrooms. I'd go NUTS wondering why it's taking my daughter so long! I'm doubly not going to allow my sons to go in by themselves.

What is my fear? Child rapers, I guess. Perhaps my fear is irrational. I was never molested. Nor were any of my peers; that I know of.

Children get hurt on playgrounds. While playing sports, etc. I can live with myself if my child was kicked in the groin while playing soccer. Or, kicked unconscious while doing Karate. I'd probably never forgive myself if my child was abused in a public washroom.
Highly unlikely your daughter will be raped in a women's washroom. At 8, she really is ready to start working on going in on her own. Not that I would tell you how to parent, but I promise the ladies is much nicer then the mens room

Old 07-28-2015, 04:49 PM

176 posts, read 180,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
We live in a world where a child inadvertently seeing a stranger's penis can trigger an arrest and conviction as a sexual predator for the man, so no, I don't think this is an overreaction on the part of the man.
We also live in a world where leaving your child unattended can bring child negligence charges, so who is more important?

The best option is for everyone to not pass judgement. You don't know his situation or the situation of his children. Personally, as soon as my girls decided they were old enough to go to the girls restroom by themselves, I let them. However, both are very tall and at 5 years old most people thought they were 7. If I'm at a place that feels even a little sketchy (that includes malls, movie theaters, museums, or anywhere with a lot of strange people), my 5 year old will most definitely be coming in the men's restroom with me.

Oh boo hoo, a young girl or boy might see a member of the opposite sex. Heaven forbid!!! Maybe if our American society wasn't so puritanical in their beliefs about the human body they would realize that we are all God's creatures and created to be beautiful. If kids weren't taught to be ashamed of seeing other people naked, maybe we wouldn't have as many 9 year old boys trying to get better looks at women in changing rooms.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 4,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Men in Scandinavia have been sitting down to pee for years now and maybe it's about time for American men to grow up and start doing the same!
My husband does....and let me tell you, it's a LOT easier to clean the bathroom without the whiz marks on the toilet!!

Old 07-28-2015, 05:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayerdu View Post
As for men's restrooms, I have yet to hear of men slinging their penises around when they use urinals. So a 8 year old girl sees your backside...it's not like she is seeing anything bare. She's basically just seeing your backside.
That was my thought as well. Don't men stand pretty close to the urinals? We were somewhere the other day, and the restrooms both had their doors propped open. Walking past the men's restroom door gave a clear view of the urinals. Granted, I didn't stop and stare into the men's restroom, but I didn't notice any men with their penises just hanging out for all to see. It was just the clothed backside of a few men.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
LOLWUT? If they have brothers, they know what a urinal is used for.
Or even if they watch tv or movies.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:05 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
With a Family Restroom available, he was really wrong. But I can understand not wanting to leave kids unattended. If I were him I would have waited for you to clear the restroom, station the girls at the door where I could see them and incoming men could see them and wait a minute. There's ways to handle things but, after all, he's a dad. Moms are better at figuring things out.
Is there really that much need for such an elaborate set up to use the bathroom with kids that age?

"Wait here. I'm going to the bathroom."

The world really isn't as bad as many of you seem to think.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:22 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It is 57 below zero View Post
. I highly doubt that most girls below the age of 16 even know what a urinal is used for and could be mistaken for a fountain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchie View Post
LOLWUT? If they have brothers, they know what a urinal is used for.
I laughed at that.

I have brothers AND grew up on a farm and I still did not exactly understand urinals until I was in college.

I attended a girl's camp where we used both the men's & the women's bathroom in the dormitory. All of the girls were 11 to 13 and none of us totally understand how the urinal was supposed to work. Heck, we were completely baffled by them.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:26 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

I attended a girl's camp where we used both the men's & the women's bathroom in the dormitory. All of the girls were 11 to 13 and none of us totally understand how the urinal was supposed to work. Heck, we were completely baffled by them.

Yeah, but I'm sure you didn't try to use it as a water fountain, did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting