Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 02:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I see no difference in euthanasia for severely disabled babies/adults than the same for animals or terminally ill patients. The "who are we to say" involves making decisions for people who can't do it for themselves, as society already does in terms of ridiculous medical procedures to prolong life, particularly when someone is vegetative. Each case would be unique and dependent on the family's spiritual views and economic situation. I cannot comprehend why a child is any different than an adult in this regard. Personally, I resent someone else's religious views preventing me from ending my life humanely should I chose to do so. And that is currently the situation. It would love to see it legal for anyone to chose medically assisted suicide for any reason if THEY so wish.
This
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 02:50 PM

760 posts, read 768,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkly View Post
Why would any parent let their child grow up and suffer in an already difficult world that won't cater to them?
That's not what they do though, they just file lawsuits or go on social media and FORCE everyone to cater to and adapt to them, even if a store has to spend $100,000 rebuilding the entire front entrance doors, display shelves and restrooms and more to accomodate the ONE wheelchair user in a year they might get who spends $10 there, they are forced to do it.

When there's 250,000 unwanted in the foster-care system in this country alone, when people lack basic dental and health care, it's ridiculous to me to see hundreds of thousands of dollars, into millions of dollars in medical care being squandered on an infant who is so severely disabled they can't possibly live a normal life on their own and will require 24/7 care for the rest of their lives, meanwhile we have all these unwanted kids in foster-care already here looking for permanent homes and families!

We have people with cancer who can't afford treatment and die.

We have people with teeth so bad they get sick and wind up in the hospital all because they can't afford the dentist.

We have families living in their car because they lost their home and have no or little income.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl
I see no difference in euthanasia for severely disabled babies/adults than the same for animals or terminally ill patients. The "who are we to say" involves making decisions for people who can't do it for themselves, as society already does in terms of ridiculous medical procedures to prolong life, particularly when someone is vegetative. Each case would be unique and dependent on the family's spiritual views and economic situation. I cannot comprehend why a child is any different than an adult in this regard. Personally, I resent someone else's religious views preventing me from ending my life humanely should I chose to do so. And that is currently the situation. It would love to see it legal for anyone to chose medically assisted suicide for any reason if THEY so wish.
Completely agreed

Old 08-08-2015, 05:03 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
We don't do it for their benefit. We do it for our benefit. We call it "humanely putting them down" to help us avoid feeling guilty for killing our pets.
I disagree. All those I've known, and myself, have had their beloved pets put to sleep to spare them the pain and suffering of one medical condition or another. I have never, and would never, put a pet to sleep for my own benefit.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:03 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I disagree. All those I've known, and myself, have had their beloved pets put to sleep to spare them the pain and suffering of one medical condition or another. I have never, and would never, put a pet to sleep for my own benefit.
If the pet could decide, you assume the pet would always want to commit suicide? The pet's owner can't know that. The pet's pain and suffering makes the pet's owner suffer. What the owner gets out of putting the pet to sleep is a feeling of having done what's right. That's his own benefit. The pet's benefit is death. The same benefit given to a capital criminal.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:26 PM

305 posts, read 724,057 times
My definition of quality of life means being able to grow up to be a self sufficient adult. Growing up, finishing college, buying a home, paying bills, and starting a family. Many mental disabilities will run into issues like this, including Autism and especially ADHD. They have a more difficult time finding and keeping jobs, getting married and sustaining marriage, being responsible adults. If they have no chance of growing up to be independent adults, then it's a good idea to humanely euthanize them so they don't have to live with the harsh world we live in.

As someone with ADHD, and realizing that this disorder affects every aspect of your life by depriving you of the skills and functions needed to survive in this world, I'd rather have cancer.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:30 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
As someone with ADHD, and realizing that this disorder affects every aspect of your life by depriving you of the skills and functions needed to survive in this world, I'd rather have cancer.
Do you mean you have ADHD and you wish you had cancer instead? Have you tried ritalin and/or other medicines for ADHD? What medicine would you take if you had cancer? Chemotherapy is no fun at all. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:34 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
My definition of quality of life means being able to grow up to be a self sufficient adult. Growing up, finishing college, buying a home, paying bills, and starting a family. Many mental disabilities will run into issues like this, including Autism and especially ADHD. They have a more difficult time finding and keeping jobs, getting married and sustaining marriage, being responsible adults. If they have no chance of growing up to be independent adults, then it's a good idea to humanely euthanize them so they don't have to live with the harsh world we live in.

There are many successful people with ADHD. What do they have that you don't?
Famous People with ADHD on How to Overcome and Succeed

The average age at which a child is diagnosed with autism is 4. For asperger's it's 6. Are you honestly advocating gathering up these kids and killing them off?

Old 08-08-2015, 11:33 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The average age at which a child is diagnosed with autism is 4. For asperger's it's 6. Are you honestly advocating gathering up these kids and killing them off?
Autism is hardly a capital crime. A lot of people with autism are successful in life. While it does make them seem low IQ in some areas, it also makes them seem high IQ in others. A kid who can hardly learn to read or spell can at the same time be a rare math prodigy who understands math so advanced that most people never get introduced to it even at college level. Some people with autism are very stable and hold down the same job for decades. The single most salient characteristic of autism is in how much the symptoms vary from one individual to another. One might be a math prodigy who can't read, and another might be a reading/writing/memorizing prodigy who can't do math. One might be extremely clumsy while having rare gifts in esoteric areas, while another might be extremely graceful and athletic while having a low IQ in most areas. The key issue of autism is that the brain is affected in such a way that some abilities are much lower than average and some are much greater than average. But which are which is what varies from one individual to another. Being clumsy vs graceful and athletic is a brain issue, not a muscle issue. Anyone can build muscles, but it takes the brain of an athlete to be good at skills like football and ballet. And some people with autism have that brain, while others are far more clumsy than the average person. But every single one of them has some skills and talents that are far better than a lot of their other skills and talents. That difference tends to be a lot greater for autistic people than for normal people. So just leave them alone and let them succeed in life on their own terms. If you were to put them all in the electric chair and tell them they don't deserve to live because of their autism, they would be shocked.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:15 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Autism is hardly a capital crime. A lot of people with autism are successful in life. While it does make them seem low IQ in some areas, it also makes them seem high IQ in others. A kid who can hardly learn to read or spell can at the same time be a rare math prodigy who understands math so advanced that most people never get introduced to it even at college level. Some people with autism are very stable and hold down the same job for decades. The single most salient characteristic of autism is in how much the symptoms vary from one individual to another. One might be a math prodigy who can't read, and another might be a reading/writing/memorizing prodigy who can't do math. One might be extremely clumsy while having rare gifts in esoteric areas, while another might be extremely graceful and athletic while having a low IQ in most areas. The key issue of autism is that the brain is affected in such a way that some abilities are much lower than average and some are much greater than average. But which are which is what varies from one individual to another. Being clumsy vs graceful and athletic is a brain issue, not a muscle issue. Anyone can build muscles, but it takes the brain of an athlete to be good at skills like football and ballet. And some people with autism have that brain, while others are far more clumsy than the average person. But every single one of them has some skills and talents that are far better than a lot of their other skills and talents. That difference tends to be a lot greater for autistic people than for normal people. So just leave them alone and let them succeed in life on their own terms. If you were to put them all in the electric chair and tell them they don't deserve to live because of their autism, they would be shocked.
It's Cythetic you need to convince, not me.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:56 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,133 times
My ex husband has a brother that was a still born and was brought back to life after 15 minutes of trying. The mother was an alcoholic and abused drugs. All he could do was walk and that was barely. The mother left and the father was an alcoholic also and the state came in and took the kids.

He's been in a state home probably 55 years now. He's blind, can't comprehend anything said to him and all he really does is injure himself. He'll bang his head off of anything, he'll scratch at his skin until it bleeds, he can't do anything except walk but he severely scrapes his feet as he does that.

He has no one to love him. He's a poor soul that lives and breathes with no quality of life whatsoever. I doubt back then they knew anything about fetal alcohol syndrome, but I doubt today that a Dr. would try to bring back a stillborn born to an alcoholic.

I would much rather see the states re-open Mental Institues than house children born like my ex-brother in law without parents to love and take care of them, so I guess the answer in his case would have been to let him die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting