Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:37 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkly View Post
After watching a debate on the news regarding whether or not children who are so disabled that they can't function normally should be humanely euthanized.

I see people of all ages who suffer from debilitating disorders such as low functioning autism, down syndrome, cerebral palsy and more. Disabilities that are so bad, they can't eat, speak, or use the bathroom properly.

Here I am thinking that putting a child to sleep could be what's best for the child.

Why would any parent let their child grow up and suffer in an already difficult world that won't cater to them? Such children will not grow up to live a quality adult life. They will have difficulties finding work, paying bills, living on their own, getting married, and god forbid them have children that will inherit their disabilities. It's too costly for parents and fellow Americans to take care of a special needs adult who can't take care of himself and will not have any chance of survival in the real world.

This is why I feel that euthanasia for the severely disadvantaged would be best for a child who stand no chance at surviving and living a quality life in an unforgiving world.
If an animal is in bad shape or dire sraights, or mal-formed, we "humanely" put them to sleep/ or down.

I see NO REASON why we cannot "humanely" do the same for HUMANS.

My mother had Multiple Sclerosis. SHe suffered through 25 years in a wheel chair, and the last 5 years of her life, having several mini-strokes, lost all recognizable speech, lost her eyesight, lost bodily functions.

SHe finally ended up in the hospital where they resussitated too late, and her brain was barren of any brain wave activities, so we "pulled the plug" on the respirator, the MOST HUMANE decision I have ever made, even above putting animals to sleep for multiple cancer tumors or failing bodily functions.

HAD we had Dr. Kevorian's assisted suicide mode, we could have saved her from the devistating years of the disease.

I see no reason to deny humans the same "rights' as we offer to animals.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 05:24 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
If an animal is in bad shape or dire sraights, or mal-formed, we "humanely" put them to sleep/ or down.
We don't do it for their benefit. We do it for our benefit. We call it "humanely putting them down" to help us avoid feeling guilty for killing our pets.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:53 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
We don't do it for their benefit. We do it for our benefit. We call it "humanely putting them down" to help us avoid feeling guilty for killing our pets.
Actually, I think we do it for both their sake and ours. Who wants to suffer watching a pet suffer? And do you REALLY think that any living creature WANTS to suffer?

Old 08-08-2015, 06:57 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Actually, I think we do it for both their sake and ours. Who wants to suffer watching a pet suffer? And do you REALLY think that any living creature WANTS to suffer?
"They wanted to die even though they didn't know how to say so" is one of the worlds most depraved reasons for murder. It's like rape or child molesting, by a psychotic psychopath, who uses words such as: "They liked it." "They were seducing me." "I was only doing what they wanted me to do."

Murderers can't read the minds of their victims, to decide the victim wants to be murdered. It's part of the murderer's insanity to use that kind of reasoning.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:37 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
"They wanted to die even though they didn't know how to say so" is one of the worlds most depraved reasons for murder. It's like rape or child molesting, by a psychotic psychopath, who uses words such as: "They liked it." "They were seducing me." "I was only doing what they wanted me to do."

Murderers can't read the minds of their victims, to decide the victim wants to be murdered. It's part of the murderer's insanity to use that kind of reasoning.
So, even in cases in which a hunter, driving on a rural road, sees a dog lying on the side that is still alive, but with part of its intestines showing and also possibly a leg torn off -- sorry to be so graphic! -- you think that he should just drive on and take the chance that a veterinarian will pass by with all the necessary supplies to save the animal? Or even that someone else will pick the animal up and take it to the nearest vet, even though that might be more than an hour away?

Sorry, but I think that anyone who prefers to let anyone or any animal suffer like that (again, when there is no other alternative) instead of ending that suffering is insane.

But, of course, you are welcome to think whatever you want.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:25 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,780 times
Quote:
Actually no. I have had many animals and loved them a lot so when it came time to make the decision, I always consulted a vet. Then I would spend a week or more crying on and off---grieving. I know people who could not have their pets put down when they needed to. They would prefer to let their pets suffer---that is for their own benefit. I also have sat with many people who were terminal. The kindest thing we do for them is discontinue all life support and keep them comfortable with medications.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:32 AM

573 posts, read 1,451,780 times
Quote:

WOW---I am totally speechless!!!!

Old 08-08-2015, 10:54 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,230 times
I see no difference in euthanasia for severely disabled babies/adults than the same for animals or terminally ill patients. The "who are we to say" involves making decisions for people who can't do it for themselves, as society already does in terms of ridiculous medical procedures to prolong life, particularly when someone is vegetative. Each case would be unique and dependent on the family's spiritual views and economic situation. I cannot comprehend why a child is any different than an adult in this regard. Personally, I resent someone else's religious views preventing me from ending my life humanely should I chose to do so. And that is currently the situation. It would love to see it legal for anyone to chose medically assisted suicide for any reason if THEY so wish.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:17 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Just no. No way in #%*#.
This.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:16 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
This.
Hmmm. Maybe you can tell me what Oldhag meant by that, since I for one have no idea. You seem to. What about that other posters opinion was so offensive that profanity had to be resorted to?? By your userid you self-identify as someone with an above average intelligence. I simply do not understand, and it is my firm belief that America remains one of the very few places on earth where people can simultaneously achieve a high degree of education, wealth and worldly experience and yet remain politically conservative, religiously fundamental and emotionally unsophisticated.

Why is this bad? Because the very people I reference, by their very wealth and attainment can direct policy and determine outcomes for the rest of us. As a result, American's have to go to Switzerland if they want to end their lives humanely. Oregon is the only state where you can end your life at all legally. You have to be so close to death though that it hardly matters one way or another. This all should change, I think. Most of the people we are talking about are not close to death. By no definition currently existing is death legally allowed in America for people that do not have less than 3 months to live.

Even someone on Death Row is going to be resuscitated and no effort (or expense) would be spared to prolong their lives if they should have an accident or fall ill while under sentence. Hmmmm. While I am on this rant... I have to also observe that Winston. The cat that we euthanised last year. Well I had never seen such a thing done. Our vet found a vein in Winston's leg in about 5 seconds. Winston is a pretty furry cat. He was gone before the plunger of the needle hit bottom and he "died" less than 30 seconds later. Even after decades of practice, putting prison inmates to death humanely remains a hit and miss operation. Veins cannot be found, drugs don't work, the process takes excruciating hours. I'm not ready to shamefully slink off to let the more high minded of humanity continue to keep us all in this prison of "morality". Quality of life can and should be defined. People who do not have it can and should be helped to find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting