Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:15 AM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Hard as it may be to imagine, it was once illegal to do this, at least in the state of Florida. Parents Ledbetter and Skylar wanted to merge their last names to give their son the last name Skybetter, but the state wouldn't let them. The case went to the U.S. District Court in West Palm Beach, where the parents prevailed.

SYDNEY v. PINGREE | Leagle.com
From a lineage standpoint, this could get very confusing later. I guess some people don't care about that sort of thing, but in this day and age, with many kids not even knowing who their fathers are, picking some random last name would make it harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 08:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It would be better to wait and do them all at the same time. I don't see why your job would care. I changed my name and no one thought anything of it - after all, people get married and change them all the time. It's a pain when the child's name is different, though - mine has a different last name, and it really causes a lot of trouble. Everything we are members of, everything I sign him up for, there is always some problem because our names are different. It's minor, but it adds up to really annoying.
Perhaps, it was a problem for Mnseca, but in all of the years that my children (with a different last name) went to school, joined sports, were in clubs, etc., etc. it was never a problem that they had different last names than me. (well, probably a couple of times, it was a tiny, tiny problem like a one or two on a scale of one to one-hundred)

Old 08-15-2015, 09:43 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Perhaps, it was a problem for Mnseca, but in all of the years that my children (with a different last name) went to school, joined sports, were in clubs, etc., etc. it was never a problem that they had different last names than me. (well, probably a couple of times, it was a tiny, tiny problem like a one or two on a scale of one to one-hundred)
In our family, the two girls have my last name and the one boy has my husband's last name. Kids range in age from 4-10. Never been a problem, at all. Occasionally my husband is referred to as Mr. My Last Name, but that is not really a big deal, to either him or me. When I make appointments at the pediatrician's office, if I'm doing it for multiple kids at one time, I have to tell the receptionist "Different last name for this kid". That is about the extent of the inconvenience.

Personally, I would give the baby the amended name right at birth. Why go through the legal expense of changing a name later, if you can "do it right" right from the start? Also, a lot of families changed their names when they entered this country. One of my ancestors was a McGillacudhy. Became Mack when he entered the USA. My current last name had an O' in front of it, when ancestor entered from Ireland that they dropped. One of my former coworkers was a Kessigilou, who changed it to Kess. With access to ancestry.com and similar databases, it's really not much of an issue to research, if someone is interested.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:50 AM

675 posts, read 644,799 times
My biological parents, instead of hyphenating my last name, took the first three letters of my biological father's last name, and the last three of my mother's name to make a new last name. It causes minor problems occasionally. Plus, I'm a traditionalist, and would want either my last name or a hyphenation of mine and my wife's for my kids.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:52 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
We are a family of multiple names. 34 years ago a baby could not be released to a woman unless they both had the same last name. (Georgia). I had never taken or used my husband's last name and this really pissed me off because we knew our child would have his own name, his middle name, my last name and his father's last name.

But I was too tired to fight bureaucracy so I was admitted under my name with my husband's last name at the end. That seemed to appease them. All 4 of our kids are named the same way with 4 names and they all love it. In school they went by "Tom Jones" which made it easier but now as professionals they are happy to use all 4 names on any published work and professionally. This makes me proud.

And my son just had a baby who has his own name and his grandfather's first name, my last name and the "family" last name. mother of the baby was happy to do this. She is Filapino and thought it was nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting