U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 02:54 PM

3,193 posts, read 2,941,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
When did that begin with the first two stages (T-ball and coach pitch) .... millennial generation?
I played little league in the early 80's and we started with t-ball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 05:01 PM
Status: "People and tear gas - either it's a border or it isn't." (set 13 hours ago)

13,609 posts, read 5,347,098 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Nothing wrong with teaching children to be competitive. That is a life skill they will need to succeed in future endeavors. They will have no need to strive and reach goals set either by themselves for an endeavor. What is the point at working hard when you will have the same outcome as everyone else?
What's a participation trophy?
I'm frankly kind of torn on this issue. Perhaps a trophy for "best effort" as well as the winner?

Old 11-28-2018, 05:20 PM

15,379 posts, read 16,993,464 times
Quote:
Oh I see. It's limited to 5-year-olds.

Older kids need not apply. Recall being 7 and not the youngest kid in the 'hood, playing baseball on the back lot. Pitcher would toss the ball softly, sometimes underhanded, and hitters would take their cuts.

Boy were we backward in the early 50s!!!!!
T-ball leagues are usually for 4 to 6 year olds (some 7 year olds also participate and some special needs kids are older and still do t-ball).

9 Things Every Tee-Ball Parent Should Know Before Signing Up This Season | Axe Bat Blog

Old 11-28-2018, 07:20 PM

24,533 posts, read 28,942,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm frankly kind of torn on this issue. Perhaps a trophy for "best effort" as well as the winner?
In my experience, the coach calls each kid up and says something nice about them, either their playing, their sportsmanship, or whatever, but something unique for each kid, then presents the trophy (up to about age 8)

In high school, each person on the team was recognized in a similar manner and given a certificate (or a letter for varsity), then they awarded MVP a plaque.

Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM

795 posts, read 588,026 times
Trophies of any kind are stupid. It's a game. You play it for fun. Who cares which player is the best at throwing a ball into a hoop, hole, or carrying some leather across a line? I've got a pile of 1st place / MVP / Championship trophies, ribbons, medals, and Varsity letters, and they're all just as meaningless as a participation trophy.

If my kids are having fun, feeling challenged, and getting/staying healthy, they can have all the participation, champion, 1st place trophies and ribbons they want, or none.

If you're playing for the trophy, you're playing for the wrong reason.

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM

24,533 posts, read 28,942,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Trophies of any kind are stupid. It's a game. You play it for fun. Who cares which player is the best at throwing a ball into a hoop, hole, or carrying some leather across a line? I've got a pile of 1st place / MVP / Championship trophies, ribbons, medals, and Varsity letters, and they're all just as meaningless as a participation trophy.

If my kids are having fun, feeling challenged, and getting/staying healthy, they can have all the participation, champion, 1st place trophies and ribbons they want, or none.

If you're playing for the trophy, you're playing for the wrong reason.
Ask any kid on any field and I doubt a single one would they they are playing "for a trophy."

Old Today, 09:36 AM

5,677 posts, read 6,538,373 times
Participation awards aren't "unearned", as the only requirement is to participate. These are usually voluntary leagues or activities, so "just showing up" is still a lot better than staying at home watching cartoons or whatever.

Now, what did bother me was my 3rd grade baseball league had a policy that "every player will get at least one game ball per season". Usually it went to someone who performed well that game; the best players getting multiple game balls in a season. When I finally got my obligatory game ball, I felt strange about it. I hadn't played well enough to stand out above my teammates. I didn't deserve the ball...the league policy gave the ball to me instead of one of the better players.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting