U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:11 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,682,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
What a great father, teaching his kids important life lessons early in the game of life that one must work to achieve something, not "you are all winners!" type of mentality that permeates our society today.
I agree with this. No one should get a prize simply for showing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 09:57 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,806,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Here's my question - does any kid actually take those participation trophies seriously? The year I did soccer, my team lost every game. I got some crappy little trophy, and I didn't think it was "hey, you're a winner too!" - even as a kid, I realized it was just a sort of commemorative memento, like the team photo and the end-of-season "banquet" where winning teams were acknowledged on stage. I've always seen those things as being more about building community and a sense of belonging than telling a kid "good job for losing consistently." Same with the ribbons for field day at my school - once you got beyond 1st, 2nd and 3rd, no one really cared.

I can't really understand why people get all huffy about it and freak out. Your kids aren't stupid. They know it's just an acknowledgement that they participated in something, and frankly there's nothing wrong with that. Cripes, you get party favors for showing up at someone's wedding.

It seems kind of mean-spirited to take away trophies from a kid and tell them they didn't "earn" it - were these children under the delusion that they were the champions of the league? I doubt it. Participation trophies say "hey, you were a part of this. Here's something to remember it by." I'd look at my stupid little soccer trophy and laugh about the ball bouncing off of my head more than once and the fun times I had with my teammates. I wasn't under the delusion that I had any significant soccer skills just because I got a little plastic memento.

Parents who get upset about participation trophies would probably be best-served directing their energies into other concerns. Like maybe how their kid is doing in school rather than on the sports field or court.
Well said. One of my kids was ambivalent about trophies, the other absolutely treasured them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I find it interesting that the designation of "winner" is so stringent in sports. How about Scouts? You don't have to be the best to earn your patches, you just have to participate and fulfill the requirements, just like showing up for soccer practice and games fulfills the requirements of that sport.

I've never heard allegations that Scouting raises kids unprepared for life.
Great point. I eagerly await responses to this question?

Old 08-17-2015, 10:32 PM

1,640 posts, read 4,141,005 times
I think there's some gray area here, I don't necessarily agree with trophies for participation but some sort of end of the year token for little kids is just fine, IMO.q Little kids need to be encouraged to get out there and have fun, they're not really competing, just learning the rules and developing skills...and hopefully having fun. I remember when I was a kid it was completely normal to get a ribbon, t-shirt, or something to acknowledge participation but I really don't think we were dumb enough to think it made us the best. We may be underestimating the intelligence of kids participating.

Once you get older then it's a different story. I don't know of any high school teams that are giving out participation trophies, however, award ceremonies have always been common and always include things beyond MVP, such as "best scout player of the week" for basically every college football program in the country. It might be frivolous, however, it's a more earned award than the local Kroger's that has been handing out "employee of the week" for the past 50 years.

There's a lot of talk about entitlement with kids now, some rightfully so, but they really have it more difficult when it comes to sports; with AAU, travel teams, and year round schedules in most sports as soon as middle school. They're pushed to specialize and become the best in something rather than try everything and find their aptitude.

FWIW, it's a hot subject today but Harrison hasn't set the best example in his life and the spread of his comments is mostly due to sports talk filling time in a slow month..

Old 08-17-2015, 10:37 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,377,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I hauled the rest of the hardware to the Goodwill. I have no idea what they do with old trophies. Kind of a waste of money if you ask me.
We donated a box full to an inner-city sports group. Kids in places like South Central, L.A. aren't routinely given trophies. For participation or achievement. There's no money for "extras" and a re-purposed trophy might be the only trophy those kids receive.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:45 PM

4,271 posts, read 4,991,852 times
I don't have an issue with participation trophies. We got them when I was a kid, but there were much smaller than the ones for the teams that came in first and second. No one thought they were anything more than a memento for the season, either. Truthfully, what's the difference between a participation trophy and a participation medal?

I did play one season of soccer, and there were no participation anything awards for that. It was a letdown to not really have anything to remember the season by.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:30 AM

3,276 posts, read 3,398,709 times
My son brought home a blue ribbon just for participating.

What did he learn from that?
Nothing

Old 08-18-2015, 08:47 AM

5,607 posts, read 4,169,956 times
Why not just have an end of season team party? That celebrates the team and every one who was on it. Have the coach or coaches talk about the team as a whole and what they accomplished, learned or improved. IMO participation ribbons and trophies are an unnecessary expense that pretty quickly end up trashed (like those Happy Meal toys I was always pitching when the kids weren't watching). Once kids are older (say MS or HS) it becomes appropriate for individual kids to be recognized for excellent achievement.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:53 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,512,408 times
Why do we need our kids so badly to "learn" from sports? Why can't they just have fun. Are they really scarred for life if they get a torphy at 6 for showing up? I think the dad in this story is an idiot.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:13 AM

20,426 posts, read 35,788,893 times
Meh.. if they are just having fun, there is no need for a trophy at all then.
No competition, no award.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:22 AM

831 posts, read 661,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
What a great father, teaching his kids important life lessons early in the game of life that one must work to achieve something, not "you are all winners!" type of mentality that permeates our society today.
Yeah, except he also slapped his girlfriend in the face, broke down her door, and had domestic violence charges against him. So, maybe not so much a great father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting