Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 09:30 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,034,491 times

Advertisements

How are you supposed to determine how irresponsible their parenting is without a good sample base?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 09:48 AM

586 posts, read 831,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
If this story is true, get off C-D and call CPS. They will send someone to investigate your adoptive sister. If she is beating the children hard enough to leave bruises, this could be considered a form of child abuse. They will check out the condition of the children and the apartment and make changes if necessary.

If there are any children older than the 4 year old in her custody, they should be in school where school officials can make a call to the appropriate agency.

I didn't know that you could use food stamps to buy steak and lobster (the sister and her husband eat that way every week?). Are those on the approved food list or are they pulling a fast one?
I am hesitant to call CPS because regarding the hitting I have never witnessed it myself (I havent seen her for a very long time because usually when I stop by she is at work, I do see her kids though because my mom watches them) it was retold by my mom who lives with her.

On her days off, she is usually in bed with a hangover and her kids especially the 1.5 years old are dirty. My mom has to clean them up.

If you do a bit of research, foodstamps allows almost everything besides alcohol.

Her house (she is renting) is usually clean, because like I said, my mom lives with her and picks up after everyone. I told my mom to stop doing that and she said that she tried, but it gets too bad (especially dishes in the sink) and she cant live with it.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
How are you supposed to determine how irresponsible their parenting is without a good sample base?
people who neglects their kids to go clubbing, and getting drunk to me is irresponsible. I am not talking occasional clubbing, but its every single week on their days off.

Also, giving your kids junk food while you eating lavishly yourself is a no no in my book. It should be the other way around. For example, if there's only a piece of meat left and both of us (me and kids) are hungry, I will offer the meat to my kids first instead of having it for myself.

And not changing a baby's diaper on purpose is bad too. Horrible diaper rash alert.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:01 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
I think you're making a big generalization. Your sister is irresponsible and has many children, therefore irresponsible people have many children.

I live in an area with many responsible LDS and catholic families with large families.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:04 AM

no point to the post really, I was just upset knowing that she is leeching off the system and decided to have 1 more. Oh well, none of my biz. Just sad for her kids thats all.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I think you're making a big generalization. Your sister is irresponsible and has many children, therefore irresponsible people have many children.

I live in an area with many responsible LDS and catholic families with large families.
thats why I said in my initial post that I am not against large familes (putting catholics and LDS in consideration) if they are able to provide for their kids.

What I was referring to are the ones who are plain irresponsible and literally neglects their kids after the newborn phase is over. My mom calls me everyday and complains about her and how she neglects the kids and all I can say is "wow". Its none of my biz, I just find it sad.

Old 08-19-2015, 11:01 AM

232 posts, read 251,216 times
You know a bad parent when you are around them enough or when you see the signs in your face consistently like that. In my early 20's I met a young girl my own age that I thought was really nice--funny--etc. She told me she had a little baby and that's all she mentioned so I didn't know much. I went to her house once and only once as we were just getting to know each other. She literally had dog crap lining the walls that was old and hard because it had been sitting there for days. Clothes piles and trash piles everywhere. Dirty diapers were also just discarded on the floor. I asked where her little baby was. She said that Social Services had taken him away and I figured that meant those diapers had been lying on the floor for quite a while. I was honestly so relieved her baby wasn't living there because I would have had to call CPS if he was. I have never seen anything like that since then because I never hung out with her again after that. You KNOW if someone is bad enough to get called on. Seriously...this person needs a wake up call. I think the only reason the kids haven't been taken away yet is because your mother is there and she is trying to help prevent disaster. It's time for an intervention on your and your mother's part. If that means calling CPS...or telling her straight to her face how disgusting she is and irresponsible and she needs to fix it or else you are calling cps..then so be it. I feel sorry for those kids and they deserve better. This relative of yours needs a wake-up call and she needs one bad.

Last edited by missladytexas; 08-19-2015 at 11:24 AM..

Old 08-19-2015, 11:35 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
I am hesitant to call CPS because regarding the hitting I have never witnessed it myself (I havent seen her for a very long time because usually when I stop by she is at work, I do see her kids though because my mom watches them) it was retold by my mom who lives with her.
So this is just gossip. Now we're all gossiping about this adopted sister.

It IS a "duh" question.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:03 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
This is a "duh" question, but seriouly dont they have any sense of consciousness of bringing another human being into this world to suffer? Do they even have a limit or are they categorized as "breeders?" Dont get me wrong, I am not against large families, if you are capable of giving your kids a loving home, I am just calling out those who are incapable of providing that and shouldnt be having kids in the first place.

I just found out my adoptive sister (we lived in the same house as kids) is 15 weeks pregnant. I seriously, like literally rolled my eyes. She already has 6 kids, one of them she completely abandoned (he lives with his dad and she hasnt seen him in at least 2 years despite how much he yearns for her), she currently has 4 kids who lives with her. She is on welfare. She gets $500+ in foodstamps, but she doesnt buy food for her kids! The husband and her eat lavishly (steaks, lobsters) while the kids eat plain white rice, with soy sauce. Its not "rumour has it", I've actually witnessed what the kids eat with my own eyes. One time my mom was with me and one of the kids called her said she was hungry.

She uses corporal punishment with her kids, and not just a spank in the butt, but aggressively. They are so misbehaved because she doesnt teach them manners, she just hits them when they are bad without teaching them right from wrong. She spends her free time going to parties, clubbing, and getting drunk (and getting a hangover the next day).

The kids are so dirty that even I, as a so called "aunt" hesitate to pick them up. She leaves the 1.5 year old in a filthy dirty for God knows how long. Her kids are always asking where their parents are and one of them cried tears of agony asking why her mom is always leaving her "does she not love me?" and this is from a 4 year old. Her kids are scared of her, and love her at the same time. Its kind of a love/hate relationship.

It just saddens me that she has the nerve to bring ANOTHER innocent child into this world. Like seriously, how many is she gonna have? She hasnt told anyone yet ( I learned it from my bio mom) not even her husband because I guess she kinda has a feeling that she is over the limit. Her friends on facebook makes sarcastic comments towards her after she had her 4th.

She gets baby fever, I have no idea how someone like her could have baby fever, but once they are passed newborn phase she neglects them just like her other children.

My heart is seriously aching for the unborn child and his/her siblings. I hope she comes to her senses after this and put a stop to this.

That's sad

I have a few theories about why the most irresponsible people have the most children - Here you go.

1. They see having children as an achievement rather than a responsibility. (somewhat cjass related)

2. They love being the "pregnant princess" - from experience I can tell you that pregnant women do receive a lot of deferential treatment. People with low self esteems thrive on attention.
Pregnancy delivers.

3. They think about the present and immediate gratification. They are not thinking about how they are going to support that child. Before we had our first child, we wanted to own in a good school district, and have X amount of $$$ in the bank. They don't think that way.

4. There are some Kid Collectors who rival Crazy Cat Ladies, as mentioned by Oil Hag. They love babies! But do not want to put the time and effort in to raising children. So as the baby turns into a child with opinions and needs, they pop another baby out. The older kids are never guided loved or appropriately disciplined. They are neglected, free ranged, and often abused.

5. They see fertility as a talent. In ancient times it was. And in the bible there are verses that say that a person with many children is blessed. Where as "barren" women must be "cursed"
Society reinforces this through movies that celebrate double digit families, and reality shows.

The saddest thing to me is some of the most loving and well prepared people know are childless - and not by choice.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
So this is just gossip. Now we're all gossiping about this adopted sister.

It IS a "duh" question.
I havent seen her face to face, but I have seen her in bed sleeping (I popped my head into her room once to say "hi sis" and my mom was like "dont bother her, she's having a hang over from last night). I have NEVER seen her awake when I am there and her kids are usually running around with messy hair, and a poopy diaper (I can still recall that horrible smell of a poppy diaper that has been left too long). I've seen the kids fight one another (oldest is 4), hair pulling, kicking, the 4 year old even ran to me and tattle taled "Adrian gave me a bloody nose the other day". I was so shocked and asked my mom "is this true?" since she babysits them and she said "apparently yes, because her nose was bruised when she came home". They were at their paternal grandparents house that day and their parents were *gasp* out partying.

she spends so much time outdoors that the kids are so misbehaved when I am around. On rare occasions that I am there and she IS AWAKE she screams at the kids non stop. One time the cops came over (she told me this herself) at 12 am because of neighbors complaining of loud noises. Turns out she was yelling at her kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting