Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:46 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,384,266 times

Advertisements

How about Luna, Heather, Lief ( sounds like leaf), Rock, camellia, jasmine, Viola, ash or Ashe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 12:48 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
Also, I think they fail the "Chief Justice of the Supreme Court" test.
No offense, but probably 95+% of these names fail the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court test, but more importantly, they fail the resume test no matter what job they get. If an executive picks up a resume with some flighty name on it, they are immediately prejudiced by the name, and your child will have a higher probability of not getting a returned call for the interview.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:42 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,044 times
Quote:
Girl ideas, flowers:
Violet, Lily, Daisy, Dahlia, Iris,Rose

Girl ideas, plants:
Ivy, Willow

Girl names, precious stones:
Pearl, Emeralda, Jade

Girl names, animals:
Ursula

Girl names, miscellaneous:
Summer, Snow, Autumn

Boy names, animals:
Leo, Robin
Kept the ones I think are ok

Old 09-02-2015, 01:44 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
I really love the name Willow for a girl (River for a boy). I got vetoed by my husband

Old 09-02-2015, 04:53 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Some female names have floral meanings in the languages from which they derive: Susan means "lily" and has Hebrew roots.

Of course, "Lily" or "Lilly" is perfectly acceptable, if rather popular just now.

Others include Minty, short for Araminta, Chrys from Chrysanthemum (over the top, perhaps), Crystal, Kitty, Bunny, Bluebird, Peter ("stone"), Miriam ("Bitter herb"), Marina ("from the sea"), Finn (selkie), Stella (star), Diana (goddess of the moon), and various surnames frequently used as given names: Brook(e), Rivers, Stone, Blair (meadow), Lea (meadow), and so on.

I have several such names in my own family, and we seem to be heavy on tree names, with oaks, yews, beeches and chestnuts all represented, though only the yew-derived name is obvious unless you know French or Old Irish.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
In South America, there are a number of ant-eating birds that resemble common bird families, and are called Antwrens, Antvireos, Ant-tanagers. So name the girls Wren, Vireo and Tanager, so their children will all have an Aunt Wren, an Aunt Tanager and an Aunt Vireo. (There is also an Antshrike, not recommended.)

https://www.google.com/search?newwin...8FOrkdVWM5M%3A

Old 09-02-2015, 09:10 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Which are your favorites? Which do you think are too gauche? I'm looking for some sort of natural name (flower, tree, plant, season, bird, animal, et cetera) for my baby. What's your general opinion on this sort of thing?

These seem to be easier to come up with for girls, but I'd like to find a few that work for boys, too. I'll list a few that I've come up with, but I'm sure there are more.

Girl ideas, flowers:
Violet, Lily, Daisy, Dahlia, Iris, Camille, Marigold, Petunia, Rose

I love Violet. I have two daughters with "Lily" and "Rose" as one of their middle names.

Girl ideas, birds:
Alouette, Wren

These are nice/interesting.

Girl ideas, plants:
Acacia, Mint, Sage, Juniper, Plum, Ivy, Holly, Willow, Anise

I adore Willow (and the movie).

Girl names, precious stones:

Pearl, Emeralda, Jade, Beryl, Garnet,

My youngest daughter's name is Ruby (Matilda Rose).

Girl names, animals:
Ursula

Girl names, miscellaneous:
Winter, Summer, Snow, Autumn

Not my style, but they're nice names.

Boy names, animals:
Leo, Jay, Robin

Mom's name is Robin.

Boy names, miscellaneous:
Rain
Some are classic names, and others aren't so commonplace so they don't feel right as a name.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:22 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Mine were India Rose for a girl
and Cody Alexander for a boy and my husband vetoed me too .

Old 09-03-2015, 03:33 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Craig!

From Scots Gaelic , meaning "crag". "Cliff" would come close to an English equivalent, and would also work.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
There is a well-known character in a popular TV series, whose first and last names are both the names of birds. Can you think of who it is?

Spoiler
Martin Crane, Frazier's dad.

Of the first three major league baseball players who were named Robin, two of them have been inducted into the prestigious Hall of Fame (Roberts and Yount) and the third one (Ventura) played MLB for 16 years, and is now in his fourth year as a manager, and with success there, could get into the Hall of Fame after his management career. A perfect trifecta for the first three Robins. A fourth Robin (Jennings) broke the string, with a lackluster four-year career, playing in only 91 games.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-03-2015 at 05:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting