Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 11:06 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times

Advertisements

Supposedly the pregnant student is a grade behind but still only 13 years old. It's all my daughter and her friends seem to talk about after school. This is a very unexpected situation/conversation for my wife and I.

I guess it's time for the birds and the bees talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 11:40 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,949,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Supposedly the pregnant student is a grade behind but still only 13 years old. It's all my daughter and her friends seem to talk about after school. This is a very unexpected situation/conversation for my wife and I.

I guess it's time for the birds and the bees talk.
If you waited this long for that talk, you're about 6 years too late.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:20 AM

168 posts, read 212,338 times
She knows more than you by now, lol.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstersizin View Post
Ha. She knows enough.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:36 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
This thread would be better placed in either "Parenting"' or "Education", I think. Mods?

OP, what is your main concern for your daughter at this point? It seem that this sad situation might be a good starter for a conversation about sexual encounters at an early age, and the unadvisability of such activities, along with a discussion of birth control and how difficult adequately parenting a tiny baby, who will turn into a small child very quickly, can be.

Another thought: is it possible your daughter's classmate was sexually abused? Who is the father of the baby? Do you know the girl's family?

Old 09-04-2015, 07:58 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
This thread would be better placed in either "Parenting"' or "Education", I think. Mods?

OP, what is your main concern for your daughter at this point? It seem that this sad situation might be a good starter for a conversation about sexual encounters at an early age, and the unadvisability of such activities, along with a discussion of birth control and how difficult adequately parenting a tiny baby, who will turn into a small child very quickly, can be.

Another thought: is it possible your daughter's classmate was sexually abused? Who is the father of the baby? Do you know the girl's family?
Sometimes there is a cultural element to these situations. Some cultures accept (or actively support it) the situation and there is nothing "sad" about it. We would have to know the whole story to really be judgmental.

And I do think that this thread belongs in the Las Vegas folder.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:28 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
So do i

Old 09-04-2015, 08:50 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstersizin View Post
Well, let's just hope it's just the theory part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
Sometimes there is a cultural element to these situations. Some cultures accept (or actively support it) the situation and there is nothing "sad" about it. We would have to know the whole story to really be judgmental.

And I do think that this thread belongs in the Las Vegas folder.
I agree.

Von, I've had pregnant students that young before.

For privacy reasons, I cannot discuss details on these issues, but I can tell you that sexual acts for this age group is far greater than you would suspect. Even on campus.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

Our concern right now is the fascination/excitement that the students have for the pregnant girl. It's almost as if the pregnant student has an "unknown cool factor" aura that surrounds her in school. My wife really thinks there was some type of sexual abuse.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 AM

232 posts, read 251,216 times
In my school we had a 13 year old girl that got pregnant. It was a big deal for us because we lived in a tiny town and I think the youngest we had ever seen was 16. I didn't know until later that her grandfather was convicted of molesting her and that child was the product. I am so glad I never snickered about her or was rude to her about it. You know how dumb teenagers and adolescents can be. I know some of the other kids made comments and thought she was easy or something. You just never know how it came about. I hope no one is rude to her about it. I will say that yes it is time for the talk and I hope it goes okay. I know very well how awkward it can be as I've dealt with it a couple of times already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
View detailed profiles of: