U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 05:24 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,467,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The legislature changed the law significantly in 2007. The post that included the actual law showed the pre-07 law.

EDUCATION CODE¬*¬* CHAPTER 25. ADMISSION, TRANSFER, AND ATTENDANCE

Exemptions are the next section 25.086.

It's extremely confusing....but basically all kids are required to attend until their 18th birthday unless they've already graduated (which is very rare). If they're in a district that has adopted a policy requiring attendance through the end of the year, they pretty much have to stay in until the end. The GED classes, job corps, etc. are other options.

Some districts do a TERRIBLE job of tracking all this and it's a nightmare to try to enforce.
It sounds good in theory, but I can't imagine the state being able, or even willing to enforce all that. Those standards would be impossible to achieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 05:29 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,099,817 times
Default 16 Year Old Runs Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Surprisingly the cops say that there is nothing they can do or want to do! Here is what happened- the 16 year old girl ran away from home and went to a friend's house almost 2 months ago. Amazingly the friend's parents told the girl that she could stay there as long as she wanted provided she goes to school and stays out of trouble WITHOUT asking the girl's mother if she could stay there!! And if that is not amazing enough the girl's mother called the COPS and they told her NO laws were being broken! They said that it is a civil matter and that the mother would have to go to Juvenile Court and file a petition to have the girl declared "wayward" before she could be removed from the friend's house against her will! The mother declined to do so and the girl is still at the friend's house. Kids have alot more rights now I guess. When I was 16, the cops would have grabbed that girl by the scruff and kicked her ass all the way back home!
As far as I know, 16 is still a minor child and unless the living conditions at this childs home are intolerable, then the child should be made to go back home. I don't understand what has happened to a parent's rights either, but I would wonder first if this child was running from a bad home environment. It also seems like the girl's mom hasn't tried hard enough to get her daughter back home. If it was my child at 16, I would have walked through fire to get her back...makes me wonder???

Old 04-13-2009, 07:00 AM

8,240 posts, read 14,900,947 times
Quote:
Surprisingly the cops say that there is nothing they can do or want to do! Here is what happened- the 16 year old girl ran away from home and went to a friend's house almost 2 months ago. Amazingly the friend's parents told the girl that she could stay there as long as she wanted provided she goes to school and stays out of trouble WITHOUT asking the girl's mother if she could stay there!! And if that is not amazing enough the girl's mother called the COPS and they told her NO laws were being broken! They said that it is a civil matter and that the mother would have to go to Juvenile Court and file a petition to have the girl declared "wayward" before she could be removed from the friend's house against her will! The mother declined to do so and the girl is still at the friend's house. Kids have alot more rights now I guess. When I was 16, the cops would have grabbed that girl by the scruff and kicked her ass all the way back home!
Unless there is some terrible abuse going on, it shocks me that the 'friend's parents' wouldn't put the girl in the car and take her back home. I guess some people have to feel superior to others- those parents probably feel like the 'cool parents'. Sad.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:03 AM

1,425 posts, read 3,523,379 times
I actually left home at 15.

Legally you can force the child home, but you have to follow proceedures. My momma was a good momma, so my leaving home had very little to do with parenting skills, but more to do with I was/am stubborn. I get an idea in my head and I will not back down, even when I know it is in my best interest to.

I think coundeling is a great first step. Open communication with the adult in the other household would be a plus. It is a good thing the friend's mother requires the girl to go to school. Teen age rebellion, stubbornness, whatever you want to call it, is a phase. And both the child and the parent need to work it out. If one of the parties involved refuses to listen (yes.... this includes the parent and the child), you can lock them away as incouragable, but just as soon as the child hits legal age, they will be gone.... as far and as fast as they can go.

Kudos to the adult who took her in with the stipulations of school and good behavior.... anybody can "let her stay", it takes a wise woman/man to make her responsible.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,574,557 times
She seems to be OK, a safe place to live and going to school. Why not just resign yourself to the fact that she doesn't want to live in your house anymore, and get on with your life. The future will unfold the way it should, and if you don't exacerbate the enmity now and try to apply force to the situation, you will always be her mom in her heart. First, take the step I just described, and second, put her mind at rest by letting her know that you are OK with letting things go for now, and that she can still depend on you for anything she ever needs.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,059 times
hi, i'm ava and i'm 15 adn currently living in south dakota. i turn 16 in july, and the day i do i plan on getting emancipated. you parents are unbelievable, you don't even THINK about whats going on at home and whyy the kid doesnt want to be there.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:33 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,173,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ava15 View Post
hi, i'm ava and i'm 15 adn currently living in south dakota. i turn 16 in july, and the day i do i plan on getting emancipated. you parents are unbelievable, you don't even THINK about whats going on at home and whyy the kid doesnt want to be there.
umm.. well.. just my 2cents here Ava, I'm a mom of 5 kids .. one of which I emancipated at age 16 ..My kid "knew it all" he was in love and he hated school .. so he skipped and did as he pleased .. so I gave him his wish and his total freedom .. and guess what? He found out just hard hard life was ..
I didnt have to feed or cloth him I no longer had to wash his cloths pick his junk up I didnt have to do anything but Tough Love him for 2.5 yrs and he grew up .. he was cold wet and hungry but he learned some self respect plus parental respect . along the way .. I loved him.. but didnt have to like him that much durning his chest pounding years .. When he was ready to be a member of the family he had to hitch hike 40 plus miles to get to me so he could ask politely if he could come home.. he had to learn the hard way to .. which is what I supect your gonna need to do as well ..
you know that you wont have tv, a puter or be able to turn on the electricty or rent a place in your name untill your 18 by most state laws .. you also know your transportation will be either your own two feet or the bus system cause with emancipation comes responsibilty of self .. and nobody in thier right mind is gonna do it for you unless your into giving your body up in payment .. trust me .. everybody wants something .. and for girls its usually sex .. can you pay for your own bc pills? better hope so because you sure dont want to have a baby .. are you responsible enough to protect yourself?
Lots of things I wanna say to young folks .. but they dont like to hear facts and truths .. so IMHO its just better to tough love them untill they learn some manners and some respect ..

Old 04-18-2009, 01:56 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,579,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
you know that you wont have TV, a puter or be able to turn on the electricty or rent a place in your name untill your 18 by most state laws .. you also know your transportation will be either your own two feet or the bus system cause with emancipation comes responsibilty of self .. and nobody in thier right mind is gonna do it for you unless your into giving your body up in payment .. trust me .. everybody wants something .. and for girls its usually sex .. can you pay for your own bc pills? better hope so because you sure dint want to have a baby .. are you responsible enough to protect yourself?
Lots of things I wanna say to young folks .. but they dint like to hear facts and truths .. so IMHO its just better to tough love them untill they learn some manners and some respect ..

Why is it they NEVER believe this? My 18 year old sister has moved away from home and moved in with her "friends". My only hope is she don't get pregnant. She will never believe they doing things in her best interest. Of course when I was that age I wouldn't either. "Of course...they are MY FRIENDS.... why wouldn't they?" Famous last words of an innocent teenager.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:39 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,266,979 times
I found out recently 16 yr olds are actually allowed to drop from school and leave home and have a life without parents. For whatever reason its kept quiet, but it is not legally required for a 16 yr old to remain in school or live with a guardian.

In some parts of the world, 16 is a legal adult.

I was suprised at first too, but some 16 yr olds really are quite mature.

But thats why the cops can't do anything. She is totally in her rights to just leave if she wants in some places.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:27 AM

3,566 posts, read 4,491,960 times
Quote:
I don't know if there are more rights. She should have gone done 24 hours later and filed a missing persons report. They have to do that. If that police station refused, take it to county, if they refused take it up to the nearest state police station. With a few months left to go, who knows if it would be worth it. Mom could have gone on line to check into it. She could have done something. She chose not to. I, personally, do not think that it is ok, however, it isn't my kid.

Some states operate from this point: If a child can be charged as an adult at the age of 17 then at the age of 17 they can move where they want and you can't stop them. This does not mean they have all the rights of an adult. It means that they can just be tried as an adult for any crimes that they commit. Runaway is a status offense. It really isn't squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or