Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 01:31 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times

Advertisements

My brother and I had hair down to the cracks of our azz in HS in the 70s. Lots of kids still do.
We got buzz cuts from the ages of one to 10. After being exposed to the Beatles and Woodstock? Hell no, It was a battle with my dad and south TX school districts over hair. I usually lost until I turned 16. My dad would only shake his head at my brother and I after we moved to liberal MD.

Concerning little boys looking like little girls, Most, not all, are almost interchangeable when clothed until they are 4-5. My sister and I shared a lot of clothes at those ages unless my sister wore an occasional dress. That was how normal kids were raised in the 50s-60s. We had our separate girls and boys toys but shared a lot of the activity toys like trikes and pedal cars because kids played out of doors rather than watching TV or other indoor activities when it was nice out.

One of my neighbors - black - had her grandkids next door at a party. the oldest was definitely a girl - 4? - but the little one - 2? - was a mystery until I asked because his hair was cute and curly with natural blond highlights. He is basically still a baby. I wouldn't have cut it myself. Who cares? The kid didn't and neither did his grandparents. He had barrettes in his hair as well.

Anyone remember this tune?

She asks me why, I'm just a hairy guy
I'm hairy noon and night, hair that's a fright
I'm hairy high and low, don't ask me why, don't know
It's not for lack of bread, like the Greatful Dead, darlin'
Give me a head with hair, long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen
Give me down to there, hair, shoulder length or longer
Here baby, there, momma, everywhere, daddy, daddy
Hair, flow it, show it
Long as God can grow, my hair
Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas, in my hair
A home for fleas, a hive for the buzzing bees
A nest for birds, there ain't no words
For the beauty, splendor, the wonder of my hair
Flow it, show it
Long as God can grow, my hair
I want long, straight, curly, fuzzy, snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty
Oily, greasy, fleecy, shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen, waxen
Knotted, polka dotted, twisted, beaded, braided
Powered, flowered and confettied
Bangled, tangled, spangled and spahettied
Oh say, can you see my eyes if you can
Then my hair's too short
Down with here, down to there
Down till there, down to where it's stuck by itself
They'll be ga-ga at the go-go, when they see me in my toga
My toga made of blond, brilliantined, biblical hair
My hair like Jesus wore it, Hallelujah I adore it
Hallelujah Mary loved her son, why don't my mother love me?
Hair, flow it, show it
Long as God can grow
My hair, flow it, show it
Long as God can grow
My hair, flow it, show it
Long as God can grow
My hair

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 02:15 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Knotted, polka dotted ...Hair!
Twisted, beaded, braided ....Hair!

A classic of the counter-culture revolution.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
There was a recent article about how many young men are adopting the style. I find it quite attractive (and I am 63)! As long as it's clean...
Yep. I'm a Boomer. The blonde in line for Mickey's Fun Wheel on the Disneyland 'man bun' (I dislike that term, but whatever) thread was VERY good looking. Whoa!

Old 09-06-2015, 03:05 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Your friend and her other daughter staged a little intervention and then asked you to ask the internet what should be done about a little boy's hair? I think you biddies need a new hobby.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:09 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,562,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Some of you seem to just be haters who want to attack me personally for even posing the question. Calling me ''jugmental'' and telling me to stay out of it, mind my own business, shut my mouth.

Some of you obviously lack reading comprehension skills and emotional intelligence, so let me clarify and then you can go on hurling more barbs if it makes you feel superior or whatever.

The grandma has been talking to me about it. Neither she, nor I, have said a word to the mom about it and we wouldn't. Grandma is 78 years old and neither she, nor I obviously, have any insights into the ''newest trends''. Neither does 82 year old grandpa, who has also been concerned.

Both have been upset, watching from the sidelines, and so I posed the question here to get some insights.
I got those insights, plus some insults, which is no longer unexpected on CD.
So thank you to those who offered helpful education. I will pass this information on to the grandparents and I think they will better understand and let the issue go.
The reason people are responding as such is it's a stupid, inconsequential issue. If Grandma would expend as much energy into being a great Grandma and role model rather than gossiping about something as petty as hair I'm sure her daughter would appreciate that, and the kid would benefit greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yep. I'm a Boomer. The blonde in line for Mickey's Fun Wheel on the Disneyland 'man bun' (I dislike that term, but whatever) thread was VERY good looking. Whoa!
They're also called "Samurai Knots", "bro knots" and my personal favorite, the "mun".

Old 09-06-2015, 03:49 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
My best friend's 33 year old daughter has a two year old boy and his parents have never cut his hair.

My friend says that she and her other daughter have talked to his mom about this as they have some concerns, rightly placed or not, with how this child will be received now that he is going to daycare and is among other children.

The mom does not seem to see this as an issue and seemingly has no plans to cut it.

Now I have seen this little boy on Facebook and his blonde, straight hair is quite long, about 6-8 inches below his chin and jawline. It is usually dishelveled, sometimes clipped back and up with barettes, and recently formed into a ''top knot'' on the crown of his head.

I am as open-minded as they come, but I feel sorry for the kid and think it looks ridiculous. And so does grandma, aunts, and grandpa and they worry about the child's self-esteem and how other kids will react at daycare. He definitely looks like a little grungy girl.

If he ''chose'' this style for himself as an older kid I feel it would one thing. But to put him out there among playmates looking this is another. But the mom won't budge, for whatever reason.

What do you all think? Is it a non-issue? Are we old fogies just not ''hip enough''? Grandma wanted me to ask CD because she is quite concerned, so have at it and please tell us what you think!
Unless the kid objects the family needs to let Mom & Dad do what they want. So a few of the other kids pick on him, so what? Teach the little guy a couple HARMLESS pain compliance moves nd the problem will be solved PLUS he will have learned how to defend himself against bullies at an early age. Non conformity used to be a positive trait.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:27 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,064 times
I cut my twin boys hair at 16 months because I didn't want responses like the one from this family. I regretted it when they got older. Toddler curls are adorable. And it's for such a short period of time.

Alley

Old 09-06-2015, 04:46 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,768,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
In the grand scheme of things, an automobile accident is a non-issue. But on a personal level, things actually matter.
So you are actually equating a car accident with hair? Ummmmm.....ok. Quite the stretch there.....

Quote:
Cute. The world doesn't operate on 'should', it operates on 'does'. It matters that those around them drop their opinion of the entire family 'just a bit' because of their decision to maintain this child's hair improperly.

And yes, it is the horrible judgmental people's right to decide what THEY feel is proper or improper. And treat others accordingly.
The toddler's hair should matter to 3 people...the toddler, his mother, and his father. That's it. Grandma's opinion and grandma's friends' opinions get to carry zero importance. And who says the hair is not maintained? Long does not equal unmaintained.

You did get one thing right..."horrible judgmental people". If anyone treats someone differently because of their hair length, that that's on the judgmental person, NOT the one with long hair.

Quote:
His hair is HIS adult choice. Not so much for a 2 year old.
If the toddler is OK with it, his mom is OK with it, and his dad is OK with it, then that's all that matters.

My kids as teenagers had long hair. They washed it, combed it, and kept it neat. They liked it, I liked it, the girls certainly liked it. No one else's opinions mattered. My kids had my support, they knew it, and that was all that mattered. Everyone else could just go pound sand if they did not like the long hair.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
My Jewish friends let their son's hair grow long. Until 3. Custom.

Who the hoot cares? I mean, it is seriously disturbing the stupid stuff people get worked up about.

Now, if it is dirty or grungy, that is a separate issue.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:16 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
I've known several people who have done this. There is nothing you can do, except, when you are in your own home, shake your head and ask to the computer/picture/sky "Why the hell do you insist on doing this to your son?" But it's the mother's (or father's) choice.

I had a friend who had a son and she insisted on keeping the son's hair long. The son was constantly upset that people thought he was a girl. I just wanted to shout, "Why the heck do you do this, even when it's causing obvious distress to your son and causing problems?" But I didn't. I just smiled and kept my mouth shut.

There are a million parenting decisions that you would do differently from someone else. For the vast majority of them, those parents don't give a f*ck what you think about it. Giving them your opinion won't do any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting