Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 05:23 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,701,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How old was this kid?
I'd be sad if a three year old actually gave a crap.
As long as he's had hair, his mother has kept it long, and it looks awful. The mother has occasionally mentioned incidents where waiters, etc. have thought he's a girl -- not that they were trying to be mean, just saying, "her" or "she" in reference to him, etc. This was going on when the kid was as old as 10,11, 12 years old.

People also thought he was a girl when he was 3, 4 years old, but I don't know if he had a reaction to it. It's been mentioned that he's been upset when this has happened while he's been older.

Seems like an easy fix to me, but again, it's not my place to say anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 06:02 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,497,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post

What do you all think?
How does grandma handle serious issues? Whats amazing, she's probably a child of the 60s?

Old 09-08-2015, 08:27 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,574,188 times
She's old, and her attitude is just reflecting that. Just let her know that it's old fashion thinking to think boys have short hair, girls have long hair. Both can now have either. Let her know her attitude dates her, but does not reflect society any longer. She would probably be shocked to know that men can wear skirts now as well. lol
My mother is in her 80's and the younger generations also give her pause. I think that's just the way it goes. Hopefully the mother is understanding yet strong on issues regarding her 21st century children.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,270,302 times
I don't get the long hair deal. I grew up on the sand and lots of boys had long hair, and I am 50 years old. Are you saying that as soon as you leave the beach long hair becomes a problem? My brother is in the music business and lots of guys have long hair. My brother used to but sadly for him, he went bald. He is still in the music business but wears a cowboy hat to cover up his head. I have another brother that is a couple years younger and his hair is long. He also wears a hat though because he lost the hair on top of his head. I like my hair short, funny because I still have a full head of hair and have not had it long since I was in high school. Even in high school my hair only went to my shoulders.

One of the guys I work with, he is 38 years old. He never cut his hair when he was a kid. It used to be down past his belt. He is an old local rocker as well. Kind of the style.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:23 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,462,343 times
I see long hair on a lot of men and boys to die for.

Long, short, shaved off, it is only hair and I think it is a personal choice.

I do admit that I cried the first time my only son and my grandsons and great grandsons had their first haircuts..seemed it was a milestone out of babyhood.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:18 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,270,302 times
I was just thinking about this. It is OK for a girl to have short hair. It is OK for a girl to have long hair. It is OK for a girl to have shoulder length hair. Girls have the freedom to have hair anywhere they want it. Some girls have hair down to there and some have it even longer than that.

Why is it OK for girls to have a choice and boys can not have a choice? What I mean in general is , if the parent is ok with it and the boy wants it why should anyone else including a school have a problem with it? Do they mandate how long hair can be in school? If they do are they telling the girls how long their hair can be? If they are saying that boys hair has to be short are they also saying that girls hair has to be long?

Old 09-08-2015, 07:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,836,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
My mother in law works for MD Anderson Children's Cancer Hospital. Locks of Love is a sore subject with all of them because they don't help the children there. There are a very small number of people whose hair does not grow back after cancer treatment, but they are by far the exception. The vast majority of people who receive wigs from Locks of Love are not cancer patients. I'm not saying it's a worthless organization, but there are definitely better ones out there. This article has some good info:
What You Need to Know about Locks of Love | FemaleIntel
There are other organizations you can donate to.

HOME

About | Pantene Beautiful Lengths

Chopping Your Hair Off For Charity Often Helps No One But You

Quote:
According to today's New York Times, cutting your mane in the name of do-gooding is growing in popularity. And the most recognized charity, Locks Of Love, is not for people with cancer. It's for children with alopecia. And 80% of the hair donated is unusable.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
This just sounds like an older person who isn't aware that long hair on boys is socially acceptable these days. Tell her it's in style. The end.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:54 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Most kids at 3 to 5 do care. They are starting to identify themselves as part of the boy or girl world. My son at five did not have long hair, but he had a sweet face and when he wore his winter jacket and hood, random strangers would say, "what a pretty girl." He kicked one lady who said that and said "I'm a boy!"

Of course, long hair does not have to play into this and I would say let a child alone if he is fine with his long hair.

https://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...-Children.aspx
I have a 3 year old.
I meet them all the time.
I spend tons of time daily in the company of 3 year olds.

My son knows boys are boys and girls are girls (and why).

He does not give two craps about his hair. None of them do. They like to pick their shirts. They don't like being called babies. But they do not. Care. About their hair.

That is something adults put in their heads. Like most neurotic behavior.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:56 PM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
As long as he's had hair, his mother has kept it long, and it looks awful. The mother has occasionally mentioned incidents where waiters, etc. have thought he's a girl -- not that they were trying to be mean, just saying, "her" or "she" in reference to him, etc. This was going on when the kid was as old as 10,11, 12 years old.

People also thought he was a girl when he was 3, 4 years old, but I don't know if he had a reaction to it. It's been mentioned that he's been upset when this has happened while he's been older.

Seems like an easy fix to me, but again, it's not my place to say anything.
Yeah, the unkempt part would bother me.

Also, I would freaking let a 10 year old pick his haircut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting