U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:30 AM

418 posts, read 1,285,303 times

Advertisements

Posted my question here:
2nd grader: Retelling problems - ParentingForums.org

You folks have any inputs, please.. any suggestions, tutors, etc would be highly appreciated.

also, anyone knows the cost of private schools like boyd in ashburn, VA, and/or if private schools would help this situation and/or would be better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 10:39 AM

192 posts, read 182,767 times
I'm not an expert, but let me make a suggestion. Have him read the newspaper to you (it's mostly non-fiction). Let him read to you about World events from your home country. Then have a discussion with him about the contents of the article. If he is interested in sports--let him read about his team and the players. Good luck, your concern is a step in the right direction. I know some fifth graders, who do not know what street they live on.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 AM

1,261 posts, read 5,517,808 times
I was raised in a Spanish-speaking household and faced similar problems when I went to elementary school (English classroom). There are probably much better methods these days, but back then the school had me attend a "language lab" daily where I would listen to a short story on tape and follow the story with the accompanying book. Afterwards, I had to answer 10 questions about the story in a workbook without referencing the storybook. I had to do about 5 stories every day, but after one semester, I had greatly improved in the reading comprehension.

I would think your county has resources available for your child. I know in Fairfax County many services are available to students even during pre-school. Good luck.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:33 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,264,072 times
I would call the Loudoun Board of Education. They have some information on private schools, and can also give you information about county services.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 AM

64 posts, read 537,920 times
Hi,

I am South Asian too... Tamilian to be specific. I dont have kids so cant say I know any solution to your problem... but am wondering if your son can hear/read/watch a story in his own native tongue and reproduce that? Is it only the English stories that are an issue?

I remember my niece having a similar issue (not as severe though)... one thing I used to do was break the story into mini sections and chain them together... basically break the overall plot of the story into smaller plots... see if he can emember a smaller sequence of actions (or events) and then chain them together. Also, have you tried any vocabulary building tools/games?

What is your native tongue if I may ask...

Good Luck!!
Shoba

Old 01-28-2008, 12:19 PM

thanks folks. my native tongue is tamil (language spoken in southern part of india, for other folks who may not be familiar with indian languages) too.. my son can understand every bit of tamil, but does not speak much of it (he speaks a bit and a lot more when we have family visiting or when we visit india but not otherwise).

well, he has never read anything in tamil (nor does he know to, as he only understands tamil) but we do watch movies. however, he fancies the songs and can understand the funny scenes but dont think he understands the whole theme and i dont think 7 year olds could either..

the crux of the problem is that he is not able to retell a story as is expected by the DRA. he misses the sequence, the details, etc but he does understand what he reads as he can tell us what every sentence means... he can read very fast (was reported to be reading at 4th grade level when he was in grade I), and can spell almost anything (does very well in PAL). it is only the story retelling where he is having huge issues...

Old 01-28-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
I was raised in a Spanish-speaking household and faced similar problems when I went to elementary school (English classroom). There are probably much better methods these days, but back then the school had me attend a "language lab" daily where I would listen to a short story on tape and follow the story with the accompanying book. Afterwards, I had to answer 10 questions about the story in a workbook without referencing the storybook. I had to do about 5 stories every day, but after one semester, I had greatly improved in the reading comprehension.

I would think your county has resources available for your child. I know in Fairfax County many services are available to students even during pre-school. Good luck.
this is very good. we really need to find more stories and unfortunately, there does not seem to be a better method. we will need to keep trying this.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
I'm not an expert, but let me make a suggestion. Have him read the newspaper to you (it's mostly non-fiction). Let him read to you about World events from your home country. Then have a discussion with him about the contents of the article. If he is interested in sports--let him read about his team and the players. Good luck, your concern is a step in the right direction. I know some fifth graders, who do not know what street they live on.
sounds interesting but i wonder if he will understand (as a 7.5 year old) the contents of the news but is definitely something worth trying for us especially because he does seem to like non-fiction more than fiction..

Old 01-28-2008, 02:41 PM

192 posts, read 182,767 times
You can start with today's Kid's Post, which is page C12 of today's WP. It has kids stories about the Tsunami, who happen to be from Indonesia and Sri Lanka--practically your backyard. Has great photos and a map. Does the kid know how to play Monopoly? Truly, one of the greatest board games ever made.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
You can start with today's Kid's Post, which is page C12 of today's WP. It has kids stories about the Tsunami, who happen to be from Indonesia and Sri Lanka--practically your backyard. Has great photos and a map. Does the kid know how to play Monopoly? Truly, one of the greatest board games ever made.
board games, ok.. another thing to look at..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting