U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:30 AM

3,634 posts, read 9,234,127 times

Advertisements

I never bought a yearbook, wasnt in the prom, etc. However, I went to college, married a wonderful man, had a fantastic career, and have had 35 years of great marriage.

Much like a $50,000 wedding, the events of high school are very transitory and do not predict a good life. If you can afford it fine, if you cannot don't sweat it. Your kids should understand if you have explained it to them and if they dont, they will get over it when they have to pay for their own expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 07:13 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,452,675 times
Your kids must go to school in a very expensive place. The most I've seen a yearbook cost around here is $100 which is crazy. But 20 years ago, mine was $30. Have your kids help out with the cost but get at least 1 for them. I still look at mine and remember what it was like to be young before all the responsibility hit! Yes it's true that it's not the most important thing in the world, but they only get to do this once in their lives. The most fun is reading all the crap people wrote in mine....don't keep in touch with any of them but it's still fun.

For all the crap I get about having an only child, this is one of the main reasons he is an only child. I do not ever want to have to say no to him b/c we can't afford things as special as these.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 AM

395 posts, read 1,792,563 times
I suppose it's different from region to region. Here my teen's yearbooks are $85.00 each. We also have the option of paying for yearbook page announcements, similar to the previously mentioned $$ amounts, but my kids (boy and girl) would die of embarrassment if we did that for them. LOL The school did sell class rings, but our son didn't want one, and ultimately our daughter decided against one, too. (when we told her we'd pay half, the ring she wanted was around $150.00) And wait til you see the cost of the senior pictures. We got the least expensive package available for our son, and it was something like $145.00. The same picture people sell caps/gowns/ card announcements, and again we took the cheap route and simply ordered a cap and gown for $25.00, no card announcements. My kids (thankfully!) don't want those, either. I'm sure there will be more shocks in store for me as graduation draws nearer.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:10 AM

10 posts, read 9,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
I've never posted in this forum on CD so pardon me for jumping in! But I have to get this rant off my chest.

Early in November we received a brochure and costs for a personal note to your Graduate which is included in the year book. OK nice enough but the prices are insane IMHO. A full page 389.00, half page 289.00, down to a 1/8th of a page for 89.00. Now if my TWO graduates were like my nephew and told his mother if she bought one he'd never speak to her again, I'd be fine. My daughters tell me how EVERYONE does it and 90% are ordering full pages!

BUT it gets worse.........now the order forms for the year books came and the year books are 189.00. I have three kids in HS, two graduating. Although my HS year book dis bring a smile to my face the ONE time I looked at it since Graduation 30 years ago this year.

Oh and the 150.00 personalized Graduation Announcement cards that everyone has to have along with the 75.00 cap and gown, 250.00 Senior trip, 500.00+ Senior Prom..........

I don't know if I'll have enough left for college..........or at least be able to pay for the books since one college that accepted my one daughter is 30,000 per year.

Good golly and I thought grammar schools bled me dry.

Thank you for listening, at least I feel better!
I don't understand why a parent even needs to put anything in a year book. Can't the schools find another way to gouge the parents?? This sounds like just another popularity (everyone's doing it) contest that I would not be part of.

As for the other expenses for graduation, it's only January, there's plenty of time for your graduates to get a job to save for the activities they wish to take part in. Expecting parents to pay the ridiculous prices for all that stuff is just selfish, IMO.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:18 PM

559 posts, read 1,180,099 times
Interesting responses.....

For Interstateover: "As for the other expenses for graduation, it's only January, there's plenty of time for your graduates to get a job to save for the activities they wish to take part in. Expecting parents to pay the ridiculous prices for all that stuff is just selfish, IMO."

I should add that one of my kids is a Disabled kid who was never supposed to live a month, let alone graduate High School. So for her.........ANYTHING. The other has a job and works hard while keeping an A/B average, we have always instilled in her that her job was school first and foremost, she's done well, she deserves some reward. The last is 14, he can't work yet but does his share around the house. It is a little frustrating that we can't spend that money as easily as most in this area can......it isn't even that we can't afford it more the prices are INSANE. It is gouging IMHO and if the schools gets a % for the companies exclusivity, its just plan wrong. I'm not sure about the school getting a "kick Back" on sales, does anyone know?????. OK not a kick back but a % of proceeds.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:28 PM

10 posts, read 9,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
Interesting responses.....

For Interstateover: "As for the other expenses for graduation, it's only January, there's plenty of time for your graduates to get a job to save for the activities they wish to take part in. Expecting parents to pay the ridiculous prices for all that stuff is just selfish, IMO."

I should add that one of my kids is a Disabled kid who was never supposed to live a month, let alone graduate High School. So for her.........ANYTHING. The other has a job and works hard while keeping an A/B average, we have always instilled in her that her job was school first and foremost, she's done well, she deserves some reward. The last is 14, he can't work yet but does his share around the house. It is a little frustrating that we can't spend that money as easily as most in this area can......it isn't even that we can't afford it more the prices are INSANE. It is gouging IMHO and if the schools gets a % for the companies exclusivity, its just plan wrong. I'm not sure about the school getting a "kick Back" on sales, does anyone know?????. OK not a kick back but a % of proceeds.
You do have some special circumstances then. A reward for hard work is great, but it should be kept in perspective. I don't think a reward should create a hardship (worry + $$$$$ = hardship) on the parents. I still wouldn't pay for an announcement in the year book, but that's just me. I had two graduates the same year too, and it was very difficult on us.

Kudos to your daughter for keeping those grades up! I worked 24 hours per week while in high school and still managed to pull off a 3.8 gpa, so where there's a will, there's a way. I know times are different now but if someone really wants those extras (and they are extras), working is an incentive - even if they only pay half, like my kids did.

There is no way I would pay $500 for a prom! Kids need to get back to planet earth and quit thinking they need to live the rock star life.

Yes that's the point, the prices are insane and it creates such a hardship on the family. We just had to say no to some things. Both of our kids wanted to go to Mexico for a week with their graduating class........what is up with that??? I couldn't believe they even had such a thing!

I'm not sure about the kickback part, it would be interesting to find out.

You can cut corners and easily make your own announcement cards using the right card stock, or by having Kinkos do them for you.

Good luck to you, I feel your pain....lol

Last edited by interstaterover; 01-29-2008 at 09:42 PM..

Old 01-30-2008, 05:58 AM

934 posts, read 932,663 times
oh wow so expensive!

By the time I was a senior in high school I was living on my own ( not really, but with Boyfriend who is now hubby)...I paid for everything myself. I think my mom did pay for my cap and gown, and I think she bought my class ring.

I graduated almost 1 years ago, and still have all my yearbooks from highschool. A girl I went to school with came over one day and we spent a couple of hours going through them and laughing at ourselves...lol

If your kids have a job, I would make them contribute to the purchase of a yearbook.

As for a ad...our books had them, but it was only the 'rich' and really 'popular' kids that had pages in them. it was by no means 'everybody'.

oh...and for the prom- my grandma bought my dress (about $120 if I remember correctly) we ate dinner out a nice restarunt and hubby borrowed his dads Lincoln towncar. We did buy pics, but the cheapest package. Went back to our apartment afterwards with some friends and drank all night and everyone slept over. Great fun, we paid for it all- and it wasnt that bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or