Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:41 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times

Advertisements

So I posted the water question, but this one is more pressing. My son knows he is over weight, and he doesn't like it. But I am looking for ideas to talk to him better about our goals for his weight, and to get him on board. Without shaming. Frustration. Etc. Just positive.

He isn't fully happy about the changes we are making, although slow. He is hard to get to exercise (because its hard and isnt as much fun when you are carrying around extra weight). I know I really need to go all in to help him. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 11:58 AM

655 posts, read 1,128,482 times
Family walks might be a good place to start. Walking is great exercise for someone that is just starting to lose weight. Also, it won't feel like such a chore if someone is going with him. Walk to somewhere he wants to go if possible....like the park or the library, etc.

Our local hospital had a overweight kids program that met a couple times a week to do fun exercises and try new recipes and at the same time educate the kids. My friends daughter liked to go there because the other kids were the same and they had a lot of fun. Is there something like this near you?

Old 09-21-2015, 12:10 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Get some bikes, and take them out on the weekend . There are always nice parks with fun bike trails around.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:17 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
Have him try several different sports like Karate, Swimming, Tennis, Soccer... he needs to find something he likes so he'll stick with it. You don't want it to feel like a chore for him or he won't stay with it.

He doesn't need to be good at it. He just needs to enjoy doing it.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:21 PM

I was looking more about how to talk to him...about food choices to how weight is impacting his life and pushing yourself harder when exercising. We have lots of exercise options. He tends to go about 15 minutes and then sits down in the shade. Same at recess.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
So I posted the water question, but this one is more pressing. My son knows he is over weight, and he doesn't like it. But I am looking for ideas to talk to him better about our goals for his weight, and to get him on board. Without shaming. Frustration. Etc. Just positive.

He isn't fully happy about the changes we are making, although slow. He is hard to get to exercise (because its hard and isnt as much fun when you are carrying around extra weight). I know I really need to go all in to help him. Thoughts?
How old is he and how much overweight is he?

Old 09-21-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
How old is he and how much overweight is he?
He is 10...and "a lot". I don't have the numbers but enough for the ped to refer us to a nutritionist.

P.S. A lot of his weight gain happened after going on a medication for his anxiety. Likely we will take him off and try something else when he goes back to the doc in November. But we found lots of places to work on diet and exercise in the mean time to help him out.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:08 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
What is his attitude about food? If he suffers from anxiety, has he ever used food to soothe? It sounds like his interest in activity is not just disinterest but antipathy. Who is his medical provider for anxiety? Does he see someone for therapy? That might be where I would start, if only for advice for myself.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
He is 10...and "a lot". I don't have the numbers but enough for the ped to refer us to a nutritionist.

P.S. A lot of his weight gain happened after going on a medication for his anxiety. Likely we will take him off and try something else when he goes back to the doc in November. But we found lots of places to work on diet and exercise in the mean time to help him out.
If the ped referred you to a nutritionist, make an appt. and work with him/her. At 10, they're probably going to want to work on not gaining, rather than losing, unless he is a huge amount overweight. He's still growing, and the biggest growth years (since infancy) are ahead. I think you should let the nutritionist take the lead. Too much emphasis on dieting can lead to an eating disorder.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:25 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:

I don't know why you have to have a talk with him, you're the parents, how was he allowed to get this way? Medications don't just pile on the pounds; eating does. Perhaps he is medicating himself because of his anxiety.

Stop buying junk food and treats, even for yourselves. Lock him out of the house in the afternoons, like most of our moms did when we were growing up. Take away video games. Get him a bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting