Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:07 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm impressed you made till 8th grade OP before your kid's homework stumped you.

Your post cracked me up. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 09:05 PM

48 posts, read 38,081 times
We love Khan Academy. Like the other responder stated - online, free, easy to follow and search topics. I always watch it to be "retaught" something so I can teach it to my kids. I have them watch it as well and that always helps them directly. It is a GREAT resource that I highly recommend.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:08 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imstumped View Post
I dont know if this is the right place to put this. I am new to the site.

I have an 8th grade daughter, and she brought home some geometry homework last night. We had to "use the law of cosines" to find some sides of a triangle. I don't know about you all but this was like 20 years ago for me and I have never used it. Compeltely forget it.

I dont have a lot of time that I can use to get caught up with learning geometry again. I work a lot and am not sure I could even understand it. I never got good grades in math.

My question is do any of you know website or an app that I could use for homework help for kids? Someone smarter than me can probably help my daughter and I learn way faster than me doing all the legwork.

Thanks in advance.

OP, Use Khan-academy. It's an AMAZING math tutoring website and it's free. I passed all my college math thanks to Khan academy. Just log on and search for your particular math problem and watch the video/s.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Wow...everybody recommends Khanacademy. lol. I should have read the thread before posting.lol
Here is a link of an example.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/alg...near-equations

Old 09-22-2015, 10:13 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
I have noticed the same thing with my children's homework. The big difference is they don't have textbooks anymore. When I was in school, you could re-read the pertinent section in the textbook, look at the sample problems within the chapter and investigate some similar HW problems (odd ones had answers in back of book to check your work) and try to reverse engineer the solution. Now with no textbooks, this is almost impossible. Yes, there is the internet so you can find the answer, but it may not be solved the way the teacher wants and you spend a bunch of time googling....

Old 09-23-2015, 04:51 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imstumped View Post
So we did do some searching, and we came up with a few sites. She says that her teacher moves through ideas too quick and that all of her classmates and she are getting stuck.

I understand that its her work. Im not trying to do it for her. God knows I couldnt. But I do want to be able to support her and if she is having trouble to be able to find her some safety net.

So I guess what I want is some last ditch thing for when she does do the search, finds things, but then STILL doesnt get it. Something we can use once every week or month to make sure she isnt falling behind. We all know what happens in public schools these days when that happens.

You know what I mean? I know its her responsibility but if she gets behind she gets so frustrated I am afraid she wont catch up. And that kind of failure seems to get her so defeated.
I feel for you, both. I have to say, I don't like that kids - all individuals - are expected to excel at the same subjects at the same level, learn in the same way, absorb information indentically, and if one doesn't, is judged.

I recall a story on Oprah years ago, about a man who had developed something called "A mind at a Time", a program with instructors trained to understand how children "learn differently". Some learn by doing, some learn by reading, hearing and such. (Maybe related to "right brain / left brain, I don't recall). They showed film footage of the process and how all kids were put into sections, making a difference after being in the proper group. (I recall thinking "I wish this existed when I was a kid"). I hated that I was "supposed to be good at sports", too.

I think everyone has leanings that should be acknowledged and encouraged to develop more in areas in which they possess strengths, not be forced to learn something as a "fish out of water". I don't know if any program like that still exists, but I think it should be recognized that we function differently. I realize, there are certain standards and though I feel English is a necessity and basic Math is necessary, I don't feel everyone should need to learn Geometry and beyond. I have not had to experience what you are going through with a child which is undoubtedly hard on parents, too.

I've mentioned this before, but when working in a room of Layout Artists, one of my coworkers asked "Hey, were all of you good at Math?".. to which laughter filled the room. I was happy to know I was not alone, always having possessed strengths related to English and Art, possibly Science.. (and if there had been classes in Psychology when I was very young, I likely would have done well in that, besides).

I see suggestions from others that sound helpful to get through this and maybe there is someone to discuss options with, if even available. At least you know she is not alone, with some instructors not realizing they may be detrimental. I know she is still very young and ultimately everyone discovers what they are better at, sometimes too late. I wish you luck.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:57 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Khan academy has good, free lessons.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:12 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
I know what you mean; I'm in the same situation with my 8th grader. Our district has specific websites that are helpful so ask your child's guidance counselor/math teacher. I'll have to read this thread because I'm sure there are national websites for homework help as well. Ultimately, I hired a tutor for my son. He meets with her once a week for 30 minutes; and can contact her throughout the week if he gets stuck on homework. I pay just $20 a week; she's a stay at home mom, former math teacher/math major; she was referred to us by the PTA so ask there too. My son has so much less anxiety now. Also, his math teacher has a session for kids needing extra help once a week (coming in like 30 minutes before school starts) so be sure to ask about that. The whole reason I'm doing all of this so early in the school year is because my son had the same experience all last year as your daughter is having; the teacher was really terrible. And I've never said that before about a teacher. The majority of the class was getting C-D's and my son was lost, afraid to ask for help and just a mess; and this is in a top performing school. Long story short, the principal had the teacher reassigned to a different school. I wish I had trusted my child when he complained about the teacher; he was right. Good luck to you. Its hard to know how much to support them and how much to let them swim alone in the deep waters.

Last edited by cjmeck; 09-23-2015 at 05:23 AM..

Old 09-23-2015, 05:31 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Wow...everybody recommends Khanacademy. lol. I should have read the thread before posting.lol
Here is a link of an example.

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/alg...near-equations
I know! I have heard it talked about before but had never looked into it myself. I could have used it with my second grader last night, lol! Seriously, SECOND GRADER! Fyi, they don't carry numbers anymore; they draw boxes and dots. ??!?!?!

Old 09-23-2015, 08:21 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Not sure if it's on this thread, but YouTube has many teachers and math and chem geeks who do a wonderful job with lessons on said subjects. I used one to help my child with a chem problem that i couldn't recall how to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting