U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 10:45 AM

36,502 posts, read 49,904,142 times

Advertisements

I remember my babies all squeaked all night long and with the first one I jumped at every little sound. Up til I had kids I was a very sound sleeper but that all changed.

When Baby Sleeps Near Mom, Guess Who Doesn't Sleep Well? : Shots - Health News : NPR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 02:56 PM

7,392 posts, read 5,676,333 times
I actually sleep pretty well, and it makes it super easy to nurse on demand and get sleep.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:29 PM

11,947 posts, read 7,995,040 times
Another thing in which there are no absolutes; it totally depends on the individual. I tried with each of my three newborns to have them right next to my bed, and I didn't sleep a wink. They might have been asleep, but as soon as they moved or breathed heavily I would wake up. And once I woke up I was unable to get back to sleep for hours. It was awful.

Plus, I found that if I picked up the baby as soon as he/she stirred, the wakings became much more frequent. It occurred to me that I was actually hindering them from learning to put themselves back to sleep, which we all do several times a night.

So I moved them to an adjacent room (or, in the case of my son, the hall) and it was much better. If they actually woke up and cried, I heard them and got up. Otherwise we all slept much better.

But, I was never able to nurse lying down or sleep while nursing, so if you're one of those lucky moms, then by all means keep the baby next to you.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:30 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,618,366 times
Nope, I sleep much better with my babies snuggled next to me. I never planned to co sleep, but when I brought my first home and put her in her crib, I spent the every night tossing and staring at the monitor. I fell asleep nursing once on accident and we both slept uninterrupted for several hours. It was great! I panicked a bit when I woke up, but researched co sleeping that day and learned about all the benefits, how to do it properly and safely, and I never turned back. I've co slept with all three, still currently with my 17 month old. We even got rid of our crib. If they woke up, I latched them, then usually went right back to sleep instead of sitting up nursing for several hours a night. Much better for me!

Old 10-04-2015, 08:22 AM

153 posts, read 284,571 times
It didn't matter, I can hear my kid anywhere in the house. I started bringing her to bed after she woke in the middle of the night because I got more sleep that way than sitting up nursing her.

Of course, since having a kid I now wake up every time the dog whines. *mutters*

Old 10-04-2015, 08:35 AM

7,196 posts, read 5,030,211 times
I slept much better with the baby in my bed. They could just nurse when they wanted to without me having to fully wake up, and there was no crying involved, so it was a soft, easy wake-up each time, rather than a jolt.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:27 PM

721 posts, read 1,454,078 times
I am a very light sleeper so cosleeping never worked for me. Prefer AM snuggles.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:22 AM

10,194 posts, read 8,685,676 times
I was up a lot when my kids were little! I'm sure I am still sleep deprived from it ;-)

Hubby slept like a rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting