Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 07:20 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I am surprised that a US State does not have a graduated driver's license system, for new drivers.......

Here in Ontario, any new driver has to go through a 2 year long graduated system where they cannot at first.........drive at night, have ANY alcohol in their blood, drive on a limited access highway, and they must have a fully licensed driver who is over the age of 25 with them at all times. They also cannot have any other passengers in the car.

The act of being convicted of ANY traffic offence.......sends them right back to the very beginning of the process, and extends the date when they will be granted a full unrestricted adult license.

In addition, any youth who quits high school before they have graduated, cannot get a driver's license before age 21. THAT in and of it's self is the most effective way to keep them in school, AND motivates them to stay in school.

So, the results............Over a 10 year period, the Province of Ontario has reduced automobile deaths for drivers under the age of 25 by HALF.

I have sympathy for the OP...........All I can suggest is that she control the son's driving, by limiting the use of the car, to day light hours, and local ( non highway driving ) and he should not be allowed to go out with a group of kids in the car. Keep the keys secure, so he can't "borrow the car ".

Jim B.
Some states do.

Graduated Driver's License Program - TN.Gov

In our city court, when teens get a speeding ticket, the judge takes their license for 3 weeks.

OP, I can tell you this. I had twin boys start driving at the same time. I had actual feelings of panic when I would first ride in the car with them driving. It had nothing to do with their ability. It was just this inexplicable anxiety that I could not see coming. It was a problem that I had to deal with.

I tried not to let on so it would not affect them, and I eventually relaxed about it. But you have to give your son the chance to be a good driver before you assume he is not one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 AM

64 posts, read 78,794 times
We never used tracking devices. We trusted him and he's been driving over 2 years now (he turns 19 in November). His driving record is impeccable. My only complaint is our insurance bill which has doubled since we put him on our policy!

Old 10-05-2015, 08:12 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
Quote:
I am surprised that a US State does not have a graduated driver's license system, for new drivers.......

Here in Ontario, any new driver has to go through a 2 year long graduated system where they cannot at first.........drive at night, have ANY alcohol in their blood, drive on a limited access highway, and they must have a fully licensed driver who is over the age of 25 with them at all times. They also cannot have any other passengers in the car.

The act of being convicted of ANY traffic offence.......sends them right back to the very beginning of the process, and extends the date when they will be granted a full unrestricted adult license.

In addition, any youth who quits high school before they have graduated, cannot get a driver's license before age 21. THAT in and of it's self is the most effective way to keep them in school, AND motivates them to stay in school.

So, the results............Over a 10 year period, the Province of Ontario has reduced automobile deaths for drivers under the age of 25 by HALF.

I have sympathy for the OP...........All I can suggest is that she control the son's driving, by limiting the use of the car, to day light hours, and local ( non highway driving ) and he should not be allowed to go out with a group of kids in the car. Keep the keys secure, so he can't "borrow the car ".

Jim B.
Love this! Canada is looking better and better...

Old 10-05-2015, 08:12 AM

259 posts, read 268,183 times
Hopefully he learned from you enough in 16 years to make the right choices. Try having him chauffeur you places to get used to the anxiety.

And if you own the vehicle, then you may have more leverage over the driving conditions. I would recommend no more than 1 friend in the car at one time in the beginning.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:15 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:

Some do... A graduated system is not unique to Canada.

I wonder what the OP is specifically worried about.
If the son cannot be trusted with a car, he simply does not get the car. What would be the purpose of a tracking device?

Old 10-05-2015, 08:21 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
I get being worried. Man it's scary. But you do have to take a deep breath. Set some rules. Ie no more then 3 people in the car, phone off, etc.

Good luck!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:21 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,365 times
I get being worried, but this sounds overly panicked.

Do not put a tracker in your kid's car - trust that the kid you raised will respect the rules you set for proper usage of the car. If he breaks your rules, then perhaps the tracker can be a consequence for a (finite) period of time.

These trackers can be helpful in limited circumstances, but they mostly sound like the inevitable result of modern technology joining forces with helicopter parenting. Do you plan to just stare at the screen every time he's out of the house?

Take a deep breath - I know it's scary, but it'll be okay.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:33 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
BTDT, three times. It never gets less nerve wracking. The OP didn't mention how old her child is, because of moves my kids got their licenses anywhere from 16-17.5 yrs. I was somewhat more relaxed with the older age.

But, for all of them, the state had graduated provisions, and we had our own. We didn't install a tracking device, but it would have only taken one ticket, or one fender bender, to reconsider doing so. Telling them that any fines or surcharges would be on them sufficed in our case.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:34 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
I got in a car accident within 3 months of getting my license when I was 16....
I rear ended someone on an onramp to a freeway.

No one was hurt, it was pretty low impact. But don't worry too much. He's gotta gro up at some point in his life. U can't be with him forever.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:52 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fValerie View Post
I'm new to posting in forums but I desperately need advice. My son has recently received his driver license. I'm so worried about him driving and I can't be with him all the time. Does anybody use any tracking devices to monitor your teens driving? What kind of a device do you recommend?
My elder son got his license at 16, and he's almost 21 now. One speeding ticket just after he graduated high school. We added him to our AAA coverage, just in case. As everyone else says, it's normal to be worried.

We don't use any monitoring devices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting