U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:06 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,132,919 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your input, especially Mom2feebs and jtjmom. I know it is not easy sharing personal and difficult experiences. Certainly you have given me many very valuable points of view, worth think about.

Generally I have no problems with vaccinations (all my children have been vaccinated, I was able to delay MMR for my son until he was 5), I realize their importance and I would like to vaccinate my child against Measles, Mumbs and Rubella. Somehow though, I feel uncomfortable with the MMR vaccine and I would prefer to use the three separate jabs or to delay this particular vaccination. I would like to be offered the option!!!

In the medical world, here in Spain too, they tell me that the link between MMR and Autism (amongst other side effects) has not been proved. But would it be in the Pharmaceutical Companies' interest to prove such a link? Can you imagine the number of compensations they would have to face if such a link were ever proved?
And also, do we have to wait for such a link to be proved before something is done to offer alternative to concerned parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 05:50 AM

934 posts, read 931,803 times
This may have been said, I didn't read thorugh all the responses, and this is just my personal opinion...

I don't think that vaccines, in and of themselves, cause autism, or any other disease. HOwever, I think if there is a history of it in your family, or if the child has a genetic predisposition to it, that it may contribute in some cases.

I vaccinate my kids- that's what I feel is the right thing to do.

No one is going to NOT vaccinate because they are a 'bad' parent- everyone does what they feel is best for THEIR situation.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:03 PM

6,878 posts, read 17,809,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
Thank you all for your input, especially Mom2feebs and jtjmom. I know it is not easy sharing personal and difficult experiences. Certainly you have given me many very valuable points of view, worth think about.

Generally I have no problems with vaccinations (all my children have been vaccinated, I was able to delay MMR for my son until he was 5), I realize their importance and I would like to vaccinate my child against Measles, Mumbs and Rubella. Somehow though, I feel uncomfortable with the MMR vaccine and I would prefer to use the three separate jabs or to delay this particular vaccination. I would like to be offered the option!!!

In the medical world, here in Spain too, they tell me that the link between MMR and Autism (amongst other side effects) has not been proved. But would it be in the Pharmaceutical Companies' interest to prove such a link? Can you imagine the number of compensations they would have to face if such a link were ever proved?
And also, do we have to wait for such a link to be proved before something is done to offer alternative to concerned parents?

You do have the option, at least here in the States. You can also choose to stagger the DTaP if you wish. It is up to you.

Independent and non-profit labs do not care about Big Pharma or what is in their best interests. That's why it is so important to know the journals, the scientists, or at least the university/hospital/lab. If funding is backed by a pharmaceutical company, well, that's kind of a "duh" moment.

I'd like some proof, as a parent. You can certainly choose an alternative if you wish. It's up to you. Like chelation and other alternative therapies, not vaccinating has its risks. If you have ever been to a third-world country, it's not hard to see why they are so necessary. We're very lucky that we can be so choosy. 60 years ago, kids were dying of diseases we now have simple shots for. We have no real concept of illness in our children. My guess is, all it will take is a kid with rubella to give it to a pregnant woman, killing the fetus, or giving it to an elderly person who dies a horrible death, and you'll start seeing lawsuits flying. That will probably change a few minds, I'm sure.

Good luck with your choice. I don't think it's nuts to stagger the vaccines if you want. Heck, there's a couple I don't think kids even need, though they're certainly more convenient to get in this generation of dual-income parents. Nobody wants a sick kid, right?

Old 01-31-2008, 02:11 PM

324 posts, read 1,154,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
Actually yes they do want to provide such a link if it exists. Compensation is a small price compared to what compensation will be if the fda discovers it first in years to come and lots of bad publicity to go with it (eg Vioxx). Pharma companies have doctors and statisticians dedicated to dealing with the analysis of their drugs safety. The FDA does the same. Though they don't catch everything before they go to market, they sure try, and they are constantly analyzing the data to make sure they don't miss something before its to late.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:15 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,132,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarity View Post
Actually yes they do want to provide such a link if it exists. Compensation is a small price compared to what compensation will be if the fda discovers it first in years to come and lots of bad publicity to go with it (eg Vioxx). Pharma companies have doctors and statisticians dedicated to dealing with the analysis of their drugs safety. The FDA does the same. Though they don't catch everything before they go to market, they sure try, and they are constantly analyzing the data to make sure they don't miss something before its to late.

Thank you for this point of view, I had not thought in those terms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting