Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 10:25 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times

Advertisements

My son is musically inclined and wants to play an instrument. We went to a school function where he got to try all sorts of things out. But when it comes to picking, he wants to play several. But none I think are the best for him.

I'd like him to play the trumpet or coronet. First, he is good at them from the first moment he picked them up. Even other parents chimed in on that. They fit his stature (he is quite short). And also it would put him in the band which would be good because it would be with his classmates. The school doesn't have an orchestra, so they would be private lessons (also extra $$$).

He liked the string best but...as I said it wouldn't have a social component. Which he really needs right now being at a new school. And of course, extra $$$.

The band instruments he preferred were the sax, trombone and French horn. All too big for him to play properly yet. And heavy! I can see him getting really fatigued trying to play them.

So how much should I add my 2 cents? Or should I make the decision for him (not my style)? Was thinking maybe I could ask him to start on the trumpet or coronet and say in middle school he can switch to his own choice because he will be bigger? Or maybe...don't know.

Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 11:02 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Ask the band teacher for help directing him to an instrument more in line with his size? When my kids were choosing, they had to have their selections approved by the teacher. One did end up with the saxophone, and although he wasn't small for his age, it was a bit of a pain to carry back and forth the school. The other one opted for a trumpet, and ended up playing much longer.

But, realistically, it's only a one year commitment via renting. If his heart is set on a particular instrument, I'd let it go.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:19 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Trumpets are more widely used, so in case he sticks with it this could be a better choice than the cornet.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:14 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
Our middle school band directors personally tested out each prospective band student with various mouth pieces and discussed with them what their strengths were and suggested up to 3 instruments for them to choose from. Mouth shape and blowing strength were the main components they focused on.

My son, although they gave him high praise for a couple of the horns, ended up auditioning for percussion and turns out he has great talent there. I'm glad we followed their suggestions.....

Old 10-10-2015, 03:21 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,807,522 times
If I remember from band in middle school, in 6th grade you could start with trumpet or trombone, then the next year some students would switch to French horn or tuba. With wind you could start with flute, clarinet or sax, then switch to oboe or basoon. We didn't have string instruments, but probably starting something small like a violin would be good, then he can switch later.

If you would like to push him towards trumpet, I would let him know that it is a good starting instrument to build skills on for bigger, more complex instruments like the ones he is most interested in and if after a year of lessons, if he wants to switch he will be better prepared for it (built up lungs, knows how to breath properly, good finger technique and posture etc), but in the end I think he should choose because he is the one who will playing it/them and he should enjoy his hobbies, not see them as a chore.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:29 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
My son, who was/is not musically inclined, chose the viola. He wanted the violin, but the spots were all gone. OMG, I had to wear headphones or earplugs for practice sessions at home. Even so, I was proud of him when he performed with the orchestra.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:59 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
My son, who was/is not musically inclined, chose the viola. He wanted the violin, but the spots were all gone. OMG, I had to wear headphones or earplugs for practice sessions at home. Even so, I was proud of him when he performed with the orchestra.
Lol I am sure that would be the case of my son had my genes and wasn't adopted. He has a secret, surprising musical inclination.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:07 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
What's strange is my sister has 7 children and all but 2 are musically inclined. They act, sing, dance and so on and they are very good. None of our older generation have the gift.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:15 PM

340 posts, read 664,504 times
The alto sax is fairly light (probably less than 5 pounds), and the weight is carried by the neck strap. I've never played trumpet, but it would seem to me that holding a 3 pound trumpet up in the air using only my arms would be more tiring than letting a sax dangle from a neck strap. And your son may soon have a growth spurt which could erase any doubt about whether an alto sax is too large. I'd let him have his choice of band instruments to keep him motivated (but not strings, since the school doesn't support an orchestra) and not push him into something that he doesn't seem to want.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:12 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I took up viola out of the blue - I don't think I ever heard of it before the day I chose it. Great instrument for orchestral music because it rarely plays complex stuff like first violins or cellos - relatively easy.

Nevertheless, I apparently was born to play a viola (I do have perfect pitch for starters) and within six months was in the junior high orchestra, and in one year, the "A" orchestra at the nearby high school. I also had private lessons after about 6 months. I loved the social part of playing in the orchestra. But one day, she began encouraging me to memorize a piece I was learning (not too hard at all) BUT it turned out, that was because I was to play that as a solo at a community event (with a symphony orchestra) in three months. No way, Jose; I quit the next day.

Funny thing though. About 40 years later I spotted a viola in a pawn shop, went in, the guy let me tune it and play it. My gosh, I didn't forget much of anything in all those years. Played it like the day I quit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting