Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 10:42 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times

Advertisements

My son at 6 months would say "Bobbie" - we finally figured out he meant "Mommy" but it came out "bobbie"

Can I go back to those (wonderful) days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 11:31 PM

4 posts, read 3,759 times
My son's first words were "5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BOOM!"

His life was SO busy with trying to figure things out, and he really didn't like to take time to eat. But if the spoon was incoming, he couldn't help but open his mouth so it could land correctly on the "BOOM." So that was how I kept him alive! "Mama" came a little while later.

Surprised at the variety here, and nice to know I'm not the only one who had to wait to hear "mama" until after a few other words!

Old 10-14-2015, 04:37 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Ball. At 19 months old! She was nearly two years old before she said 'mummy', she was much more interested in balls and put-puts (mopeds) and vroom-vroom cars (those were the first words, in that order)

Old 10-14-2015, 05:25 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
My daughter's first word was "bird!" We had a really wet fall, rained every day for weeks and I took her nearly everyday to petco /petsmart to see the critters. She LOVED to watch the parakeets (still does)

Shortly after that she started saying "Cat! Cat!" whenever he came bear here. Then "Dada" and finally "Mama"

Old 10-14-2015, 07:52 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
My son's first word was "bobble" (meaning "bottle"); he was telling us that he wanted his bottle. My daughter (adopted from South Korea, and came here when she was 9.5 months old), arrived already knowing one word: "umma," which is Korean for "mommy." That's how she addressed her foster mother, and when she first came to us, she would look around, keep saying "umma?" (as in, she was obviously looking for her foster mother, and didn't know why she wasn't there anymore) and then cry. The first week was hard, but then she started warming up to me very quickly. (It took her longer to warm up to my wife.)

Incidentally, I didn't say a single word until I was three years old! But then one day we were watching people play mini golf, and I suddenly said "Ball in hole." So my first "word" was actually a sentence!

Old 10-14-2015, 10:45 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
For dd1, dd2 and ds2 it was "nuh-nuh" (nurse) between 5-6 months. Then "mama" shortly after. My 10.5 month old's first word was "mama" at 6.5 months. Then "nuh-nuh" and "papa" at 7 months, and "hi" around 7.5. No real story behind first word. They typically said "nuh-nuh" or "mama" when they were tired or wanted to nurse.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:42 AM

649 posts, read 569,843 times
My oldest daughter's first word was 'dada' which kind of annoyed me because her father was barely around. Funny story, when she was about one, she reached into the refrigerator, pulled out a jar of mustard and said "Frenches." For a minute I thought my baby was a genius and could read but I couldn't get her the read anything else. I figure that she saw a commercial for it and must have remembered its name. I have no other explanation for it.

My little one's first word was "mama" (yay!) but she doesn't say it much. She's 15 months old now and the only word she says repeatedly is "no". A few days ago she did throw her cup at me and I swear she said "I'm done."

Old 10-14-2015, 11:48 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Unfortunately, our oldest daughter's first word was "s**t". Although I'm pretty certain she was trying to say "sit" because she said it when she set up her little Fisher Price tea set on her little toy table and ordered me to "s**t" on the little toy chair. Soon after, though, her second word (courtesty of daddy) was "t**s". He was trying to teach her the words of the parts of the body, "Mommy's eyes, Mommy's nose, Monny's ears, etc., and Mommy's "t**s" (laughing uproariously). She picked up "****" right away. She was soon pointing and exclaiming "t**s! t**s! t**s!" They didn't usually comprehend what she was saying, but we did! So did my mother, and it didn't sit well with her. She called DH an "ignoramous".

Old 10-14-2015, 12:18 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Oldest first words was uma, like oooooooma. Thats what he called my mother in law then, and thats what both of mine call her now. (Her husband, my father in law decided that what she would be called.) My youngest - ba tactor, for "bad tractor". I collect antique tractors, or use to, and he loved to be around them then, which I think all kids do. He was sitting under one while we were taking pics for a magazine article, and he kinda stood up and bumped his head and yelled out ba tactor, and shook his finger at it.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:21 PM

84 posts, read 70,661 times
My daughter's was "what" in the cutest way possible. My son's was "fudge" but I know what he trying to really say. He must have picked it up from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting