U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 05:36 PM

2,745 posts, read 12,862,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vukinjo View Post
Why is it when any one suggests nursing moms be discreet, they get jumped on as if they're saying women shouldn't NIP. Wow
Because the implication is that it's something DIRTY, or shameful.

Now if your meaning of discreet is to do things like unbutton from the bottom-up, do what you can to avoid any unnecessary accidental "flashing", that's one thing and most nursing moms do that anyway... but when you're talking about covering up with a blanket, hiding off in a corner (or worse, bathroom), that's different.

For the record that post that stirred this all up again here in the last 24 hours was not suggesting normal discretion. Read it again. The suggestion was to pump and bottle feed, which is pretty clearly "Don't NIP!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,497,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post

Now if your meaning of discreet is to do things like unbutton from the bottom-up, do what you can to avoid any unnecessary accidental "flashing", that's one thing and most nursing moms do that anyway... but when you're talking about covering up with a blanket, hiding off in a corner (or worse, bathroom), that's different.

For the record that post that stirred this all up again here in the last 24 hours was not suggesting normal discretion. Read it again. The suggestion was to pump and bottle feed, which is pretty clearly "Don't NIP!"
ITA ITA ITA ITA

Geeze, and how about a little support for the fellow parent??

Of ALL THE THINGS you could be offended by, a baby getting fed.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 PM

64 posts, read 172,449 times
OMG BOOBIEZ!!!! :O

babies gotta eat, and nature put their food in breasts. people need to desexualize the chest and GTFOI.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:59 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,826,440 times
I have breastfed both my sons, my first until he was 15 mo. and currently still nursing my 21 mo. I have breastfed just about everywhere and no one has complained or even given me a dirty look. I try to be discreet. The only two instances (so far) where I do not nurse in public: one, when the baby is brand new and still getting the hang of nursing (not that you really go anywhere when they are that young)--at that point, your breast is hanging out a lot!; two, when there are boys around the age 8-13 around in clear view of the nursing. I figure before that age, they don't really care or they don't have any views of sexuality, past that age I figure they have probably already seen breasts and it is good for them to see breasts in a non-sexual way. Not that I flaunt it, I still try to make it inconspicusious.

But I agree with a lot of the previous posts that remark on how we (as a society) seem to be more comfortable with sexual suggestions in how women and girls dress than in mothers' nursing. Thankfully, nursing is on the rise and hopefully this won't be an issue for many mothers for long.

By the way--pumping a bottle for the road doesn't make any sense. Breastmilk doesn't keep long out of the refridgerator and loses nutrients the longer its out of the breast. Plus, many nursers just don't know exactly how much to pack. And the child's nursing needs can change, even day to day. I for one, would not know the first thing on packing milk or even how to make formula--NO CLUE!!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,803,328 times
What year are we in? What country? Just making sure from some of the responses.

Many posters here need to grow up and get a life.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:12 AM

542 posts, read 1,510,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post

For all of the posts that indicated some discretion would be nice, perhaps the one about pumping was giving the implication you mention above. I don't think most did though. I think most were speaking of the first definition of discretion you mention, not the latter.

I totally agree with the difference you mention above. It is most definitely a right to be able to nurse when and where necessary but just like anything else, there are always a few who have to take it to the next level for whatever reason. I ignore those types usually as the attention, positive or negative is what they are seeking.

Old 07-25-2008, 12:23 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,149,983 times
While one cannot argue the health benefits of nursing-it does not mean they will NEVER get sick. Out of 4 children, the one I nursed the most ended up with cancer at 14. The others have never had more than a cold.

My nephew was breastfed until he weaned himself which was over 4!! It was ludicrous that he would walk over jump on his mom in a crowded room and lift her shirt and suck. She did not wear a bra, she was very small. He is 18 now and has been in nothing but trouble.

So, BFing is not the end all to a perfect society of wonderfully smart, healthy well-rounded people. It is a personal decision. Whatever the mother is comfortable with is what will be the best for the child in the long run. I was never extremely comfortable with NIP, but I did it discreetly. I do not look unfavorably against those that do the same. I certainly do not think bottle feeding is "bad".

How many of you were bottle fed? Are you ok?

As far as the restaurant goes, issues that tick people off come up in life all the time. Address the issue with management or HQ if you feel so inclined. This is how laws get changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or