U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2008, 11:25 AM
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,878 posts, read 17,821,482 times
Reputation: 5139

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Have you ever tried to FORCE a 4 y/o to do anything, especially sit/lie there and nurse if he/she did not want to? Please explain to me how BFing until self-weaning is for the mom's mental benefit? The only benefit is knowing that your child has an enhanced immune system and is still receiving miraculous antibodies because he or she is continuing to nurse and that mom and the child have an AMAZING bond that just cannot be duplicated. Trust me, many moms who nurse for an extended period of time are eager to be done but allow their children to continue until they are ready to wean in their own time. It is a sacrifice for many moms - it certainly is for me but I do what is best for my children no matter what.

The vast majority of older nursers are nursing only a few times a day and not in public, so this is normally a private matter between mother and child. The only thing I dread about my current toddler weaning is the sicknesses she will be getting more of once she stops - it is amazing how much the BFing helps that.

Here is a piece on the natural age of weaning:
A Natural Age of Weaning

Uh, yeah, actually I have. I also have a 2 1/2 year old that does what she is told (well, for the most part, anyway, LOL).

You don't need to be so defensive. I am FOR breastfeeding, so you're picking a fight with the wrong person. I really could care less what you do with your kid. It is just my opinion (am I not entitled to have one?) that after a certain age it is sometimes an issue with the mother not wanting to wean for personal reasons having to do with insecurities on her part. That's based on my own experiences with friends, that's all, and it doesn't make me right just like your opinions and experiences don't make you right. They're just opinions. Whatever reasons you feel you need to have are yours alone and don't affect me at all.

Good luck with weaning. I hope your toddler will be sick no more than anyone else's 3 year olds. I stopped BFing my DD at 1 and she rarely gets a cold. That's with prematurity on top of RAD at birth with a ventilator. Breastfeeding has lasting effects on immunity...but it sounds like you already know that. Again, good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2008, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Lehigh Valley
1,030 posts, read 3,800,031 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preaching2thechoir View Post
While my opinion may not be popular, I would think once a child had teeth, the breastfeeding should end. IMHO after that the mother is the one who has issues.
All three of my kids had 6 teeth by the time they were 6 months old - way too young to be weaned. I nursed them all for 12-18 months and never were teeth an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2008, 04:24 PM
 
440 posts, read 236,687 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyLiz View Post
All three of my kids had 6 teeth by the time they were 6 months old - way too young to be weaned. I nursed them all for 12-18 months and never were teeth an issue.
Ok 12-18 months is not that old but 4 YEARS OLD, there's something wrong with that picture. I have nothing against breast feeding and as a single mom who returned to work when he was 6 weeks old, my son and I are very close, he, has probably had 2 colds HIS ENTIRE LIFE, no ear aches or any other form of illness and he is now 18 years old. As long as they are immunized, I think being around other children actually emboldens their immune systems.

Sorry, IMHO the myth about them being healthier as a result of breast feeding is just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2008, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, TN
8,000 posts, read 16,811,250 times
Reputation: 12316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have seen a few woman who purposely flop a breast out in plain view by "'accident" while breast feeding. They have problems and are looking for attention any way they can get it. At least that is the problem of the one lady that I know personally whom I have seen do this. She looks around to make sure some people will notice and then . . "ooops!" I ahve seen it once or twice from others that I do not know, but I assume that it is the same reason. as others pointed out, I do not see how that can happen by mistake.

However, aside from a few people with mental illness to some degree, I doubt that it happens often. Most women are pretty discrete about breast feeding. I do see 12 year old boys watching carefully hoping for a show at times, but that is a 12 year old boy.
That is too funny, after I had my kids my boobs were like a Triple E If I could of breastfed there would be no way I was gonna flash those babies around on purpose - they looked awful!!! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preaching2thechoir View Post
Ok 12-18 months is not that old but 4 YEARS OLD, there's something wrong with that picture. I have nothing against breast feeding and as a single mom who returned to work when he was 6 weeks old, my son and I are very close, he, has probably had 2 colds HIS ENTIRE LIFE, no ear aches or any other form of illness and he is now 18 years old. As long as they are immunized, I think being around other children actually emboldens their immune systems.

Sorry, IMHO the myth about them being healthier as a result of breast feeding is just that.

I'll agree with you too based on MY experience. I was unable to breastfeed both my children. I tried desperately, but after the hospital trying to help me, home nurses coming to my home to help me and pumps, I was not able to get anything out. Actually, my story is much more graphic and disgusting of what happened to my boobs, but I'll save everyone the visual

Anyway, my kids are 7 and 10 now and perfectly healthy. A cold or sore throat once in a great while but that's it!

Do people breastfeed kids that are 4 years old and older in public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2008, 09:45 PM
 
Location: Eastern PA
1,263 posts, read 4,287,796 times
Reputation: 1154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preaching2thechoir View Post
Ok 12-18 months is not that old but 4 YEARS OLD, there's something wrong with that picture. I have nothing against breast feeding and as a single mom who returned to work when he was 6 weeks old, my son and I are very close, he, has probably had 2 colds HIS ENTIRE LIFE, no ear aches or any other form of illness and he is now 18 years old. As long as they are immunized, I think being around other children actually emboldens their immune systems.

Sorry, IMHO the myth about them being healthier as a result of breast feeding is just that.
Four years old is a normal age to nurse worldwide. Are you saying that millions of women around the world have something "wrong with their picture?" The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends breastfeeding for the first two years of a child's life, and thereafter as long as mutually desired by mother and child.

Nursing - and the longer the better - has been PROVEN to make children healthier, and the benefits last long into the future.
7 WAYS BREASTFED BABIES BECOME HEALTHY ADULTS
NRDC: Healthy Milk, Healthy Baby - Benefits of Breastfeeding

It's great that your son was so healthy. However, that is merely anecdotal. My kids are extremely healthy too, in part thanks to nursing. The health benefits are proven - you can choose to ignore them. Every time I get a virus/bacterial infection, my body makes the antibodies, and they are passed along to my daughter through my milk. Thus, her own immune system is getting instant help in battling illness and infection.

I have never seen a very old child nursing in public, and I have been watching for years. Most children, unless they have special needs, do not desire to nurse that frequently as they get older.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2008, 05:17 AM
 
2,015 posts, read 4,550,890 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
"He asked me if I was going to breast-feed, and I said yes, and he said, 'Well, you can't do that here.'"

Breitbart.tv » Mom Humiliated by Bob Evans Restaurant Ban on Booth Breastfeeding
I didn't watch the video as I don't want to see someone humiliated, but in general, I don't have a problem with women breastfeeding in public. I have a large family of my own, kids ages 23 to age 6. I never thought about breastfeeding at a restaurant table because simply I prefer to have privacy and peace. With that said, a breastfeeding woman at a dining table does not ruin my meal or my "dining experience." I think it is such a double-standard that a seeing a child breastfeeding (not that you even "see" anything, it's just that you "know" a child is suckling on a breast is repulsive to some), yet seeing gel-implanted super knockers ready to bust out of a shirt is perceived as awesome. Whatever.

P.S. - Too add: Another reason why I didn't feed at a table at a restaurant is because like the poster above, my breasts are big. Sorry, but it's not a small breast that I can whip in and out with little fussing. I have to actually hold the breast with one hand while breastfeeding the child. I don't mean to be so graphic, it's just the way it was.

P.S.S. - I hope that we don't get into a debate about breastfeeding or not, saying one is healthier than the other because most women have enough guilt about so many things, so many things they don't have control over like the poor woman above that could not manage to breastfeed in spite of La Leche techniques, etc. It was not easy for me to breastfeed due to the size of my breasts, and it was not as easy as my SIL's who were able to wear the little front carriers with their babies inside and just stick their breast into their babies mouth when necessary and keep on with their work. My own husband (who is now 47), the youngest of 9, was fed cow's milk for pete's sake, because that's what the pedicatricians were recommending in 1961. He turned out fine; has strong immunity, is healthy. I think that moms do the best that they can.

Last edited by Donna7; 02-03-2008 at 05:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2008, 09:07 AM
 
Location: San Antonio-Westover Hills
6,878 posts, read 17,821,482 times
Reputation: 5139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post

P.S.S. - I hope that we don't get into a debate about breastfeeding or not, saying one is healthier than the other because most women have enough guilt about so many things, so many things they don't have control over like the poor woman above that could not manage to breastfeed in spite of La Leche techniques, etc. It was not easy for me to breastfeed due to the size of my breasts, and it was not as easy as my SIL's who were able to wear the little front carriers with their babies inside and just stick their breast into their babies mouth when necessary and keep on with their work. My own husband (who is now 47), the youngest of 9, was fed cow's milk for pete's sake, because that's what the pedicatricians were recommending in 1961. He turned out fine; has strong immunity, is healthy. I think that moms do the best that they can.

Totally agree with you! Unfortunately, this conversation has gone just to that. People are very sensitive and emotional about the issue, especially those who are a little more militant than others. It's always fun when someone else makes you feel like a crappy mom because they breastfed their kid, or just simply did it longer than you, or a different way. I find the most militant in their beliefs end up losing the message in their medium. It's sad.

Excellent points, Donna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Utah
1,455 posts, read 3,496,138 times
Reputation: 1523
Boy I am sorry to see people here getting defensive. We all want to be good moms, and if/how long/where/whatever, we nurse...we are trying to make good decisions and I think we are generally supportive of other moms!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 03:18 AM
 
2,015 posts, read 4,550,890 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Totally agree with you! Unfortunately, this conversation has gone just to that. People are very sensitive and emotional about the issue, especially those who are a little more militant than others. It's always fun when someone else makes you feel like a crappy mom because they breastfed their kid, or just simply did it longer than you, or a different way. I find the most militant in their beliefs end up losing the message in their medium. It's sad.

Excellent points, Donna.
Thank you for your kind post. I hear what you are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2008, 04:20 AM
 
Location: Lehigh Valley
1,030 posts, read 3,800,031 times
Reputation: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
People are very sensitive and emotional about the issue, especially those who are a little more militant than others.
See, and that's where I disagree! The ones who are more sensitive and defensive about their choice, seem to be the NON-breastfeeding moms. And I honestly can't blame them.

It's awful actually, because as mothers we just want to make the best choices for our kids, but women can be pretty catty, and it sucks the pressure that non-breastfeeding moms come up against today. I have a friend that actually will feed her baby his bottle in the car because she feels like she gets dirty lookks from people. Imagine!! So, it works both ways - and us women are really the only ones to blame.

Frankly, I don't care how you feed your kid - just as long as it works for all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top