U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:50 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,410,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Wow, I've just never seen that happen in my whole life. All the women I see breastfeeding in public are quite discreet.

Not sure what all the hangups are with breasts! It's men that sexualize them, it's men who suck on 'em as babies, men who are obsessed with them-size, shape, nipple, color, fake, real, etc... and da*n it all if it isn't men that tell us what we can and can't do with them. I'm no feminist by any stretch of the imagination, shoot, I never did NIP, I pumped instead, but it's comments like this--forgive me, but *completely* ignorant ones, that make me simply boil over! God forbid we actually use our big ol' boobies in the way which they were created. Hellfire!
I've seen attention hungry women breastfeed and make people uncomfortable more than a few times. So I guess we are even in the what we've seen department.

Men do sexualize women's body parts.

I think most mothers in our country are pretty modest, because they know that men are turned on by breasts...and revolted by nursing. Hard pill to swallow for the militant breast feeders that want to fight nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 PM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
Mom2FEEBS said:

". . .it's men who suck on 'em as babies, . . ."

I did not realize that it was only supposed to be men babies who do that. We really messed up with our daughters.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 PM

8,000 posts, read 16,803,297 times
Oh my goodness!! What a thread!!! LOL

Ok, yes, boobs are meant for breastfeeding babies.

But, I hate to burst some people's bubbles, but they are ALSO sexual objects too!! If they were not, we women would not get sexually stimulated when are husbands have their fun with them.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:07 AM

6,878 posts, read 17,809,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Mom2FEEBS said:

". . .it's men who suck on 'em as babies, . . ."

I did not realize that it was only supposed to be men babies who do that. We really messed up with our daughters.
Uh, I didn't mean solely.

Did I really need to explain that to you? I hope not!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:55 PM

Funny timing. I was at the airport last night and saw a couple and a very small infant (maybe 1 month). It looked as if the circus was in town! They had piles of toys, a huge suv stroller, etc. The man was making a big deal of helping the mother get her little boob into the kids mouth and they both were looking around for approval. I wish I was joking. The parents looked to be 40ish so it was really wierd. Plus, I felt really sorry for that baby.

Breastfeeding in public is fine in my book, but like anything, it's nice to realize that there are other people in the world who are not into your silliness.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:27 PM

2,838 posts, read 8,842,146 times
I nursed my daughter until she was 3 1/2, and we NIPed until she was about 2. I think I nursed her once or twice after she turned 2, in public, because she hit her head and needed the comfort.

In Florida, a woman can legally breastfeed anywhere she is legally allowed to be. I never had anyone so much as give me the hairy eyeball, so I was lucky.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:26 PM

6,878 posts, read 17,809,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Funny timing. I was at the airport last night and saw a couple and a very small infant (maybe 1 month). It looked as if the circus was in town! They had piles of toys, a huge suv stroller, etc. The man was making a big deal of helping the mother get her little boob into the kids mouth and they both were looking around for approval. I wish I was joking. The parents looked to be 40ish so it was really wierd. Plus, I felt really sorry for that baby.

Breastfeeding in public is fine in my book, but like anything, it's nice to realize that there are other people in the world who are not into your silliness.
Maybe they were looking around b/c they were a little self-conscious of what they were doing? If they were in their 40's, they may have been even more aware they might be drawing unwanted attention to themselves. I myself was VERY nervous about breastfeeding, especially in public, being a brand-new parent is very intimidating, and the BF Nazis out there create a lot of pressure on new moms to get it right.

Just a thought.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:44 PM

2,464 posts, read 5,685,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post

Elmonellie. It is possible that the baby was having difficulty latching on. Being that people (like you) might be wondering why a father is helping the mother - which may look weird... to people like you - that may be the reason why he was looking around "... for approval." Really elmonellie... I don't know why you care so much about breastfeeding women. This is not the first thread I've seen you express your contempt for women who "...aren't modest..." according to your definition. Your views are usually pretty sound but you are booking a loser with this one...

Old 02-08-2008, 07:02 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,610,199 times
If only all women were discreet... not everyone thinks its adorable or beautiful to watch SOMEONE ELSE breastfeed or 'nip' their kids. I think so much of this broohaahaa would be simmered if these women would just be discreet.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Elmonellie. It is possible that the baby was having difficulty latching on. Being that people (like you) might be wondering why a father is helping the mother - which may look weird... to people like you - that may be the reason why he was looking around "... for approval." Really elmonellie... I don't know why you care so much about breastfeeding women. This is not the first thread I've seen you express your contempt for women who "...aren't modest..." according to your definition. Your views are usually pretty sound but you are booking a loser with this one...

Look, just my opinion. That is what these boards are for. You don't have to agree. I don't have contempt for this couple, they just were making such a big deal about a rather personal thing and causing such a hazard with their piles, the other people in the crowded gate were moving to get away. Just kind of uncomfortable for the people trapped there.

I do have a bit of contempt for the bf nazis who are very militant. Militant people in general turn me off.

I am turned off by people that don't seem to know basic modes of operating in public. It's not that hard. But, hey, it's a free country. A big fat, dirty, smelly person can sit in a restaurant and burp and f*art. No law against it...most people would appreciate if they wouldn't have to experience such a liberating display of freedom, however.

Part of my dislike of people making big deals of personal business in public is that I don't like MY space intruded upon. I don't like out of control kids screaching and kicking my chair, I don't like teenagers dry humping next to me on the train, I don't like someone blowing smoke in my face, I don't like a woman feeding a big old toddler who smacks and makes alot of gross noise sitting right by me while I'm trying to choke down a salad.

I just appreciate a little common sense and decorum.

Oh, and people that scream on the cell phone at the gate at the airport. Unbelievable. There were a few of them the other night and they were as much a turn off as the circus couple that had a 20ft circle around them strewn with their crap.

So, glad you like breastfeeding in public in all it's forms...some of us think the obnoxious people are just that: obnoxious.

Guess we shall disagree on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or