U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:20 PM

27,994 posts, read 46,352,092 times

Advertisements

"He asked me if I was going to breast-feed, and I said yes, and he said, 'Well, you can't do that here.'"

Breitbart.tv » Mom Humiliated by Bob Evans Restaurant Ban on Booth Breastfeeding
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 06:18 PM

52 posts, read 215,889 times
I'm not opposed to breast feeding in public but because it is so controversial and might offend someone, I probably wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure there are circumstances where it is necessary and that's fine too.

I'm a secretary and once a woman came in carrying a child. A big child. He had to be at least 3 or so and really long. It was all she could do hold him on her hip. She was talking to me and without missing a beat, pulled up her shirt and gave him her breast. I couldn't believe it. But it didn't offend me.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:21 PM

89 posts, read 485,308 times
I nursed both of my children until they were two. Many times we nursed in public. As long as you keep covered(as best as you can) it should not offend anyone. Breastfeeding is the most natural thing a mother can do, how can someone say when and where they can do it? Absurd!!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,341,204 times
This is what amuses me as a nursing mother. I could be in the mall, discreetly nursing my baby, and somebody would inevitably say something or give me "a look", but the 14 year old prostitot walking around wearing shorts that barely cover her butt and a push-up bra she just bought at Victoria's Secret with her allowance barely raises an eyebrow. "What a wonderful world."

Old 01-31-2008, 08:33 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,493,802 times
I nursed both of my children for close to two years. (at the time, I was one of those painintheasszealots who thought every new mom who didn't give a try was negligent )

I am offended when I here someone opposed to public nursing. I think that they do not have experience with it in their lives, and are putting their foot in their mouth without giving it a real thought.

With that said, if you are publicly nursing a child older than a year and a half-ish, I'm less offended for you.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,797,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy309 View Post
I'm not opposed to breast feeding in public but because it is so controversial and might offend someone, I probably wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure there are circumstances where it is necessary and that's fine too.
You wouldn'd recommend it? So what do you recommend a mother does when her child is hungry - which for a baby is quite often, I might add.

Nursing in public is controversial? That makes me laugh - and not in a good way. I nursed all three of my kids for 18 months a piece, and obviously did it in public often. I can honestly tell you that I never got dirty looks or heard nasty comments. In fact, it was quite the opposite - I would get moms who came over telling me how great it was that I was nursing, etc. Truly though, I could without that attention as well, but whatever.

Our society is just whacked - tramp stamps and things hangin out all over town, but a baby eating is problematic - crazy!

Old 02-01-2008, 09:17 AM

47 posts, read 133,640 times
I, too, was a public nursing mother. I nursed my son for 12 months and my daughter for 21 months. I stopped nursing her in public after about 12 months because she was too keen on looking around and would flash my boobage to everyone. That wouldn't be cool.
When I first starting nursing my son in public, I would go to a restroom to do it. Then one day, as I sat in a very nasty restroom feeding him I thought, "I don't eat in restrooms, why does he have to?" After that, I was a public nurser. If you don't like it....DON'T LOOK! You would REALLY have to search around me to even see what I was doing.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:35 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,695,129 times
I have no problem with public breastfeeding. What I find annoying is the occasional in-your-face breastfeeding woman who is obviously looking to cause a ruckus by letting their goods hang out for all to see.

Feed your kid, that's fine. But the boob he's not using -- we don't need to see that hanging out and flopping around, or to hear you yapping at somebody for "staring" when you're obviously trying to get negative attention.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:20 AM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
Nursing in public is a mother's choice. Others can choose not to look if it bothers them. A nursing mother has no business complaining if someone stares at them. If that bothers you, then go somewhere private. If you do anything in public you are presenting that action for people to see and stare at if they choose.

However in this case, the mother was in someone else's restaurant. They can choose what they will allow and what they will not. I do not allow smoking in my house. Is that any different?

Old 02-01-2008, 10:31 AM

2,238 posts, read 8,695,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Nursing in public is a mother's choice. Others can choose not to look if it bothers them. A nursing mother has no business complaining if someone stares at them. If that bothers you, then go somewhere private. If you do anything in public you are presenting that action for people to see and stare at if they choose.

However in this case, the mother was in someone else's restaurant. They can choose what they will allow and what they will not. I do not allow smoking in my house. Is that any different?
The restaurant cannot choose in this instance. It is state law there that a woman is legally allowed to breastfeed in any public place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or